What Is The Real Plan With Lance?

rags747

Reaction score
Funny how McClay gets all the credit for the draft picks but Jerry gets the credit for rolling a 4th for Lance. McClay is in charge of all player personel 24/7/365! You don’t think that McClay was behind this move? Nonsense…

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Funny how McClay gets all the credit for the draft picks but Jerry gets the credit for rolling a 4th for Lance. McClay is in charge of all player personel 24/7/365! You don’t think that McClay was behind this move? Nonsense…
It was an amazing trade.

We have our future starter, and Dak cant hold the team hostage after the season.

If you look at the 2024 cap, you see what the problem is. We are -$13 mil already for 2024.

Dak has a $29mil base. Dead cap $61 mill.

That's a June cut if we ever saw one.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can't tell me that the cowboys will be happy on draft weekend knowing they're missing a 4th round pick. Was there any plan when signing this kid, or was it just something to do? In my opinion I think in the off season they maybe re sign him, and let Rush go, then draft a developmental QB.

The kid has no chance of playing this season to be honest, it would be cool at times to maybe use him as a decoy in the offense, but who knows. I'm just a father of 5 who likes to know people's thoughts....
The plan was not to play him this season.
How many times do we need to go over this same topic.

And they may very well be happy on draft day. When there are no players but 25 TE’s to select. Then they can say win win …..they got a TE in 2023, and a QB on 2023 ….:thumbup:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The plan is to try and develop him. He’ll be competing with Cooper Rush for the backup job next summer. If he doesn’t win the job, then it’s a wasted 4th round pick. If he does win the job and has to play and plays well, the Cowboys could possibly trade him for an even higher pick.

Jipper

Reaction score
The plan is to try and develop him. He’ll be competing with Cooper Rush for the backup job next summer. If he doesn’t win the job, then it’s a wasted 4th round pick. If he does win the job and has to play and plays well, the Cowboys could possibly trade him for an even higher pick.
Yup- the patriots model….trade a fourth, invest some time, coach him up, flip for a 2nd…at worst have a backup qb with massive upside

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Come on, bro. You don't get rid of Dak at this time. He seems to really be catching on to what he is really capable of doing. If you were to make a bet that he does not get an extension, you will lose that bet.
I think you are right but of other reasons.

I think Dak is the best that could happen to the Joneses and so the new contract is as good as done: He is a great player to sell to the public and so the ones who pay for their product - the Dallas Cowboys. He is the best version of a figurehead you can wish for: You can fill him up with empty phrases and he will rattle them out and looks like he even believes them himself. Dak was the best find for the franchise revenue wise. Just look at all the fanboys who (still) believe in him in this forum alone. He is convincing in what he says in front of a mic.

From a sporting view he is a desaster. You didnt win anything meaningful with him in the last 8 years and imo you wont until the end of his career. Maybe he has a year like Flacco or the guy in Philly but to think from today he will have a turnaround of his career and win a lot of meaningful championhips is extremly unlikely. In fact it never happend in the NFL.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
You can't tell me that the cowboys will be happy on draft weekend knowing they're missing a 4th round pick. Was there any plan when signing this kid, or was it just something to do? In my opinion I think in the off season they maybe re sign him, and let Rush go, then draft a developmental QB.

The kid has no chance of playing this season to be honest, it would be cool at times to maybe use him as a decoy in the offense, but who knows. I'm just a father of 5 who likes to know people's thoughts....
I wouldn't be in a hurry to send Cooper Rush packing. Of course, last year, that's not what I was saying. But his little winning streak during the regular season made me a Cooper Rush believer. He's a solid #2. We still don't know what Trey Lance can do. But I suspect he's not on Dak Prescott's level. So, it's sort of a moot point.

On the 4th round pick, I agree. The way the Cowboys see it, they got a 1st round talent for a 4th round pick. I can see the logic in that. Still, I'd like to have that pick back, especially because, there's only a few teams who draft as well as we do, and the 9ers are one of them.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
All the people who mock other posters...reach some pretty dumb and incoherent conclusions:

Like, "how dare Jerry spend a 4th rounder on Trey Lance? There obviously was no plan...".

Meanwhile, after 5 games...a poll was done on this board and +90^% said they were NOT happy with Dak as QB1. So...THAT is why they spent a 4th on Dak.

Right NOW he is "playing his best ball ever", but there's also been times when he has straight up STUNK when you needed him most.

Good enough reason for any GM to spend a 4th rounder when you're potentially stuck in QB hell being forced to sign a guy who most of the fanbase was not happy with. It's a hedge.
That's part of the problem though. I understand considering what fans say, but you also have to understand that not everyone claiming to be a fan is really a fan. Some are fans of other teams and just like to troll.. Others, are belligerent fools in the first place and will never be happy. Even if we do win with Dak, they'll still find something to cry about.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
They have to extend him to try and get that cap number down and hope to trade him. He is going to become a cap disaster with him and Rush counting for $6M in 2024 the way things stand now. Dak is going to be the highest paid QB in the league when he is extended.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think you are right but of other reasons.

I think Dak is the best that could happen to the Joneses and so the new contract is as good as done: He is a great player to sell to the public and so the ones who pay for their product - the Dallas Cowboys. He is the best version of a figurehead you can wish for: You can fill him up with empty phrases and he will rattle them out and looks like he even believes them himself. Dak was the best find for the franchise revenue wise. Just look at all the fanboys who (still) believe in him in this forum alone. He is convincing in what he says in front of a mic.

From a sporting view he is a desaster. You didnt win anything meaningful with him in the last 8 years and imo you wont until the end of his career. Maybe he has a year like Flacco or the guy in Philly but to think from today he will have a turnaround of his career and win a lot of meaningful championhips is extremly unlikely. In fact it never happend in the NFL.
My thinking is... you don't get rid of a QB with the experience that Dak has learned for the past 8 years. Not with how the team is coming together as of now. There have been other QB's that took a long time to win the SB and Dak is still relatively young.

Would we all like to get to a SB? Of course...even the "haters". lol

I at least hope that JJ does the right thing after Dak gets an extension...start planning for his next contract and start drafting QB's instead of TE's all the time. It's not my team, but if I could this coming draft I would select a QB first round no matter the teams needs to plan for the next QB, then let the chip fall where they may because Dak is not going to be on the team forever.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
He is secretly being groomed to be the next franchise player at his position along with Mazi, Schoon, Deuce, Luepke, and Tolbert.

817Gill

Reaction score
Living in LaLa land if you think Dak isn’t getting re-signed. Setting yourself up to be severely disappointed

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Cowboys traded for him. He wasn't a FA they could sign. He is a developmental QB. This year is about learning. Next summer we will see how he looks and plays. Until then, we wait. The Cowboys knew when they traded for him he wasn't going to play this year unless Dak and Rush both went down.

He is still on his rookie deal so he won't need to be re-signed this off season. Since they already used a 4th round pick to get him, it's unlikely the Cowboys draft another QB next April. It's hard to see 2 draft picks dedicated to developmental type QB's.
Clearly I made a mistake but did however mention 4th round pick

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Cowboys traded for him. He wasn't a FA they could sign. He is a developmental QB. This year is about learning. Next summer we will see how he looks and plays. Until then, we wait. The Cowboys knew when they traded for him he wasn't going to play this year unless Dak and Rush both went down.

He is still on his rookie deal so he won't need to be re-signed this off season. Since they already used a 4th round pick to get him, it's unlikely the Cowboys draft another QB next April. It's hard to see 2 draft picks dedicated to developmental type QB's.
So we have him for another season??

ghst187

Reaction score
That's funny. You think Jerry had a plan making that trade.

Short answer: there was no plan and all they saw was a shiny new #3 overall pick available. It never made sense strategically. He wasn't going to supplant Rush as your backup this year, and you basically have to resign Dak to a new contract this offseason or absorb a $59.45 million dollar cap hit next season. All of those things put together make this a completely incoherent move in my opinion. I just don't know how Dallas will even possibly be able to evaluate him given the timeline and situation.

The only way this signing made any sense at all is if Jerry thought there was a real chance they were going to blow this thing up entirely next year and start from scratch and quite frankly, this team was never going to be bad enough to trigger that kind of response.
Yep and now instead we are about to hand Dak the biggest contract in history and our fourth round pick will probably land SF a probowler

CWR

Reaction score

I think he was a hedge based on how Dak performed without KM.

Had he faltered or not performed to the level justifying his contract we'd have considered giving Lance an opportunity.

The season still needs to play out but it seems a foregone conclusion Dak is extended now.

So the plan I suppose is to continue grooming him and have him take over when Daks time concludes. Romo probably made them think that way as his body fell apart. That or use him as a trade chip.

Obviously I'm just speculating. Fwiw