What Is The Real Plan With Lance?

Mr_437

Reaction score
The Lance trade lit a fire under Dak's arse, and this is what competition does for a team. If I recall correctly, someone (Jerry or Stephen), mentioned one of the options involving Lance is to flip him for picks.

Washington with Dak the inactive 3rd QB
This could very well be what they do if the Playoff seed is locked in, but they always seem to play Dak for most of the game.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
You can't tell me that the cowboys will be happy on draft weekend knowing they're missing a 4th round pick. Was there any plan when signing this kid, or was it just something to do? In my opinion I think in the off season they maybe re sign him, and let Rush go, then draft a developmental QB.

The kid has no chance of playing this season to be honest, it would be cool at times to maybe use him as a decoy in the offense, but who knows. I'm just a father of 5 who likes to know people's thoughts....
probable 2024 starter because....

Dallas saves $34 Mil if Dak is a June cut.
2024 dead cap $25 Mil
2025 dead cap $36 Mil

The kid is a QB Phenom.

plasticman

Reaction score
Is Lance already having the desired effect?

Is Dak's improvement related to this trade?

Expiring minds want to know.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The Cowboys traded for him. He wasn't a FA they could sign. He is a developmental QB. This year is about learning. Next summer we will see how he looks and plays. Until then, we wait. The Cowboys knew when they traded for him he wasn't going to play this year unless Dak and Rush both went down.

He is still on his rookie deal so he won't need to be re-signed this off season. Since they already used a 4th round pick to get him, it's unlikely the Cowboys draft another QB next April. It's hard to see 2 draft picks dedicated to developmental type QB's.
Lance already developed.

had two seasons with that genius HC at SF.

we are lucky.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
lol...Dak is going to get resigned to an extension, Lance was not brought in to scare Dak.
I'm betting against any extension for Dak.

2024 cap is already jacked up.

Why pay Dak when you have Lance ready to take over?

TwentyOne

Reaction score
You can't tell me that the cowboys will be happy on draft weekend knowing they're missing a 4th round pick. Was there any plan when signing this kid, or was it just something to do? In my opinion I think in the off season they maybe re sign him, and let Rush go, then draft a developmental QB.

The kid has no chance of playing this season to be honest, it would be cool at times to maybe use him as a decoy in the offense, but who knows. I'm just a father of 5 who likes to know people's thoughts....
From what i heard a few weeks ago was that he wont be even ready next season. And it would be a mistake to try to play him next season.

IDK what the FOs plan is. I think they took the chance and the risk wasnt to big. If he pans out for next season they would have a good backup or have leverage towards a new deal for Prescott.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Come on, bro. You don't get rid of Dak at this time. He seems to really be catching on to what he is really capable of doing. If you were to make a bet that he does not get an extension, you will lose that bet.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

No offense but i think you are going to lose.
2024 isnt the real problem. 2025 is. We are already 36mil in minus because of Daks contract and havent even a QB#1 signed. You wont find a starting caliber QB on the open market and are able to pay him in 2025. Of course you can tank 2024 but the #1 draft pick in 2025 will cost you also a lot of money.

Daks third contract was set when he signed his second one. That was his main goal and he won the gamble with us. We lost big time.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score

The chances that the Cowboys do not extend Dak are......

a1a2f00c-a45f-4bc0-bb20-942edd28c583-text.gif

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Why didn't it make sense? The Cowboys had a 2nd round grade on him and used a late 4th to get him. He is still on his rookie deal so there is plenty of time to see if the light comes on for him or not. The plan is to wait and see what happens. Simple as that.

The Cowboys are going to extend Dak, we already know that will likely happen. He is 7 years older than Lance. If a few years if Dak gets hurt or retired Lance could step in. Maybe he will improve to the point of taking over for Dak.

Your second paragraph confuses me. Jerry doesn't believe in blowing up the roster. He thinks we are a contender, so why even consider that notion?
That's good and all, but you just restated the crux of my argument that this trade made no sense. Dallas was always basically going to be forced to resign Dak this offseason whether they liked it or not. They were not going to eat a $59 million cap hit with his current contract or cut him and absorb the $60 mil in dead money. The timeline just does not seem to be favorable to inserting a developmental QB prospect when you have a win-now roster and a QB that you are essentially handcuffed to.

Again, what my second paragraph is meant to do is to point out what you just stated: Jerry doesn't believe in blowing up the roster, which is why I just don't understand the point in using a 4th round pick to trade for a QB that has a very good chance of never being anything more than a spot starter for you in the foreseeable future.

I very well could be wrong about all of this and honestly will be happy if I am, but if they were willing to let go of a 4th rounder this year, why wouldn't they use it for a piece that could help put you over the top? Gilmore and Cooks were had for less and have been significant contributors this season.

This is all just my opinion of course, but I just view it as a strange move when you consider context surrounding it.

Last edited:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
From what i heard a few weeks ago was that he wont be even ready next season. And it would be a mistake to try to play him next season.

IDK what the FOs plan is. I think they took the chance and the risk wasnt to big. If he pans out for next season they would have a good backup or have leverage towards a new deal for Prescott.
Thats not the plan.

They aren't going to pay mega millions to Dak. Unless he wins the Super Bowl.

That 2021 draft was money.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
That's good and all, but you just restated the crux of my argument that this trade made no sense. Dallas was always basically going to be forced to resign Dak this offseason whether they liked it or not. They were not going to eat a $59 million cap hit with his current contract or cut him and absorb the $60 mil in dead money. The timeline just does not seem to be favorable to inserting a developmental QB prospect when you have a win-now roster and a QB that you are essentially handcuffed to.

Again, what my second paragraph is meant to do is to point out what you just stated: Jerry doesn't believe in blowing up the roster, which is why I just don't understand the point in using a 4th round pick to trade for a QB that has a very good chance of never being anything more than a spot starter for you in the foreseeable future.

I very well could be wrong about all of this and honestly will be happy if I am, but if they were willing to let go of a 4th rounder this year, why wouldn't they use it for a piece that could help put you over the top? Gilmore and Cooks were had for less and have been significant contributors this season.
60 million cap hit is spread over 2 seasons.

Plus, Lance is much cheaper contract.

We can spend that cap $$$ on keeping our players.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Thats not the plan.

They aren't going to pay mega millions to Dak. Unless he wins the Super Bowl.

That 2021 draft was money.
Of course they will pay Dak all the money he is demanding. This was set when Dak signed his second contract.

Take a look at his figures in 2025 if you dont believe me. It was Daks goal to have security with the third contract and he won.

But as i said idk what their plan is or was. I just think they havent had one with Lance. They just took the risk.

But the way you post it seems you know their plan. Please post your source.

What i dont understand what the 2021 draft has to do with Lance and Prescotts contract ?

And 2021 wasnt money. We have Parsons and Osa from it. Osa just now is becoming a good starter. In his thrid year as a round 3 pick thats not good drafting. Every other pick went down the toilett. So its 1 pick as a starter from day one. A good draft is when your 1st 2nd and 3rd round pick are starting from day one. Especially in a week defense we had back then. A money draft (great draft) is when all three become Pro Bowlers for years.

Last edited:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I would think to push Rush off of the roster and become an adequate backup to Dak. At that point the fan base will stir the QB. pot of controversy :laugh:
Dallas is loyal to Rush.

He's not UFA until 2025.

Dak just needs to win a Super Bowl.

Win and everything is good.

But I think we know how this movie ends.