What is the team culture?

Cmac

Reaction score
Consistently making mistakes, imagination with excuses, dusting off old playbooks, being stubborn with the thought of adjustments or player decisions, losing when it counts, and sleeping well at night (Maher).

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see this all the time here and wonder how that is being defined and do others see it as I do? What person is responsible for establishing the team culture and why is that so important?

I've always heard that a team takes on the persona and personality of the HC but then I see behavior on the field that does not reflect that HC's personality.

I think the person to best identify the Cowboys team culture and what had to change was Parcells. He mentioned that "lunch pail mentality" and "blue collar guys" a lot. He knew that the owner was a style over substance guy and his team reflected that.

I wonder how this next HC will be allowed to affect the team culture with a GM that is all about the show? All tied up with the stars that he's never been about the team.

The owner has used the word "entertainment" more than others but then why shouldn't he? That's not a football stadium, that is an entertainment venue that just happens to have a football field in the middle of it. If you remove the TV money, the Cowboys are not his most profitable "shows" because of the expenses.

So, how does this new HC have the chance to change the team culture and how do you think Parcells would have responded to that stupid "Hot Boyz" label Lawrence tried to hang on them? Ultimate style over substance. Part of this culture is that players represent themselves instead of putting representing the team first.

The ultimate question is can the owner accept that he's not responsible for the team culture, he cannot be the face of the franchise and so interactive with these players if he hopes to correct the real problem with his team?

What is the most recent example of contrast in team culture and the effects of that? Isn't it Michael Bennett? He broke Belichick's team culture and he only deals with that one way. Isn't it interesting on which team culture he ended up on? And not long after that, he's losing it in the locker room.

One of the toughest challenges in bringing about change is where to start, what to change first to affect a positive domino fall? I really wonder if the brain trust of the Cowboys is capable of real change? I wonder if the players can actually define what the Cowboys culture is?

A video is worth a thousand words!

Eightneight

Reaction score
Culture starts at the top of any organization. Culture is the backbone of how an organization conducts business from how and why decisions are made to accountability from its employees. It defines behavior and expected results from the organization and its employees. If that said culture is treated as an afterthought and not respected from any level of management or employee then that creates and "individual" first type environment which spreads quickly throughout. This type of breakdown in culture can make employees start to believe that the structure and integrity of said business isn't to be taken seriously thus creating that "individual first" mentality. And in pro football, that is a death sentence. Jerry's undermining of coaching decisions, lashing out at coaches publicly, overriding coaching decisions etc...sends the message to his players that the buck doesn't stop at the coach. ie: the kicker situation the last 2 weeks. Imagine what the coaches are thinking, probably, "to hell with this guy". This breakdown in "culture" creates a circus atmosphere throughout the entire organization. Which is EXACTLY what we have here. JMO