What is wrong with the Cowboys?

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
How about a Devil's Advocate jumping in here and saying that there's something wrong, but it isn't much. Here's that line of thinking:

- Parity rules in the NFL. Despite being 6-6, there are only 6 of 16 teams in the NFC with a better record than Dallas at the moment.
- Our losses have been by 2, 10, 2, 4, 4, and 11 points. For the sake of this argument. Let's say that we had managed to win half of the games decided by 4 points or less and were at 8-4. Though it wasn't, that could EASILY have been the result in the aforementioned games.
- If we were 8-4, do you really think the comments (depending on the result of whatever the last game we played happened to be) would be different on this board? I don't.
- This is the nature of the NFL. I've said this before: The NFL is an entertainment organization. It is in the league's best interest for wins to be spread around and to give fan bases some hope, however small, that their team may win on any given Sunday (or Monday/Thursday)
- Does anyone really believe that it is beyond the NFL's ownership to lay down a dictate to officials to move close games in a particular direction? My point: The Dallas fan base is loyal and HUGE. A win over the Cowboys does more to help many teams fan bases than to does to erode ours. By every viewing metric (TV, Home, and Away games), the Cowboys outdraw every other team significantly, even when they are losing.
- Let's say that the fix isn't exactly in (and btw, Jones does NOT have to be a part of it), but there is some nudging going on. Wrestling has shown us that the Hero/Villian paradigm is wildly popular (read: profitable). Every time the Cowboys play, it's a Hero/Villian game. In some people's eyes, we're always the Hero or Villian. In others, it is situational.

For the record, I don't think the games are manipulated and I would be crushed to find out they were. With that said, I thought wrestling was real when I was 10 and would have fought anyone who told me that Jack Briscoe was a fake.

I don't know what the problem currently is with the team. It's easy to say it's coaching and maybe it is. Or maybe it isn't and the coin just didn't come up heads for us in the tight games this year.

I'll finish with this: We're a heck of a lot closer to being a very good team than we are to be being a very bad team, I'm not sure that ANY team can ask for a lot more in today's NFL, and there are a whole bunch of teams who would take that over their current situation.

Oh, and all those glory days we all wish would return? That NFL doesn't exist anymore. The salary cap and rule changes have evened the playing field. I'll say this for our owner: If there was no salary cap, we would be almost unbeatable. Jones would have exactly zero problem paying to get the best players in the league. I know that ruins the 'Jones doesn't care' narrative, but he's already proven that to be true pre-salary cap era.

Anyway..........GO COWBOYS!!!!!

The Pat's are working on championship #7 since the dawn of the FA era.

The ravens have risen, declined, risen again, been left for dead, and quickly ascended now a 3rd time. The 49ers crumbled, became a SB team, became a joke, and now are once again dominant.

The point is, good organizations are navigating the new NFL just fine. But, not us.

blueblood70

Reaction score
This is not intended to be a big bash fest of the team. I am just going to throw a few things out for conversation.

First off no team has everything go right. And the Cowboys are NOT doing everything wrong. So many of you want to throw the baby out with the bathwater and that accomplishes nothing. The better way to keep the arrow pointing up is to make an honest self evaluation and tweak the minor things that get you over the hump instead of blowing it up and starting from scratch.

We have a very talented roster. The team should be winning and competing better than it is. So what needs to change?

I think the single biggest problem that this team has week in and week out is defensive coaching. I refuse to believe that our defense is not talented. I really believe if this team had reasonably good coaching this defense would be much better than it is.

The run defense sucks as a general rule. It’s probably mostly scheme related but we also refuse to invest in a pocket collapsing NT. That’s the single biggest issue on defense.

Rod has no idea how to evaluate talent and values the wrong things in player evaluation on the DL.

Kellen Moore is doing the right things on offense but some rookie coaching mistakes are costing us at inopportune times.

Our OL is underperforming as a unit. They are probably the highest plaid unit in the NFL and they aren’t consistently performing at that level.

Special teams are an absolute train wreck. I guess it could always be worse if we fired the special teams coach, but I’m not sure how that can be. They are already epically bad.

You guys an discount this one all you want but anti Cowboys officiating bias is also costing us multiple games every year. The Zeke fumble that really wasn’t a fumble cost us a game earlier this year. The two phantom tripping calls also cost us the Patriots game. This is really getting old.

If I were Jerry Jones I would fire the special teams coach immediately. I would fire Marinelli too immediately. I would promote Richard (who probably also sucks) and see if he could right the ship by the end of the season. If not he would be gone at the end of this season.

I would also cut Maher first thing Monday morning. I’m not sure it would help the team talent wise, but it would send a message that you must perform or you are gone.
bad bounces, crazy calls and some odd untimely mistakes buy our leaders on this team at the worst moments..

BTW I agree with most of that narrative above , However putting this on defense when our QB fumbles and throws a pick and two other would be picks got erased by penaltys'.. Dak had his worst game against the bills and IMO this loss is on his shoulders.. he looked like Zeke suspension 2017 stretch dak.. regression he absolutely looked like a rookie in his decision making, Terrible..he forced everything..

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
I don't believe this to be a "very talented roster." Antwuan Woods is your 1 Tech. Bargain basement free agent. 2 starting safeties are Jeff Heath - a journeyman type UDFA, and Xavier Woods - a 6th round pick, who the Cowboys FO said would make a leap this year based on what? A few training camp practices in Oxnard. The hype train as usual, everyone jumped on.

The LBs have regressed terribly. Why? I'm not convinced on 54's instincts, he gets by on athletic ability, and while he should be commended on his comeback that athletic ability won't be what it once was. LVE is harder to judge. just a soph slump, was he injured prior to the neck injury?

The secondary - nobody back there has played the ball at any point in the 3+ years most of these guys have been on the roster. Jones - 2 career picks. Awuzie, another Mr. August. "he's going to make the leap in year 3." Nope. Jordan Lewis is somewhat a playmaker. It took an Anthony Brown (jag) injury to force the staff to give him more snaps.

Deep and talented Defensive Line. Says who? well, the front office. The guys that put it together. I like Lawrence, plays like his hair is on fire. He's a force whether in the run game or getting the qb. Yeah, 5 sacks but the opposing offense has to account for him, he at least shows up every week. They did a good job acquiring Quinn, he's delivered. Maliek Collins is a decent player, Bennett makes plays but he's a bit undisciplined. Armstrong, Joe Jackson, Covington are day 3 picks or low level FA signing. Meh. Trysten Hill can't get on the field unless someone is hurt. They released Taco Charlton the 27th player selected in his draft after 2 seasons. two seasons.

Offensively, the O-line peaked in 2016. guys are older, something happened with Travis Fred's health you just can't control but it is not anywhere close to a dominant unit. Better than most but not the lynchpin anymore. Prescott has played well, he's not going to beat elite defenses apparently. The explosive plays from Elliott have vanished - see regression of oline and probably the wear of playing him nearly every snap for 3 years save the 6 game suspension in 2017.
Wr have been good and produced plays. The TE are abysmal, Methusaleh should never have been brought back. Jarwin makes the occasional play, but the staff won't play him either because of blocking or because Methusaleh has "earned" some right to be out there based on wayyyy past performance.

The ST are god awful, it's 25-30 plays per game and they apparently don't practice it or realize it.

They attempted to get in the modern NFL by changing Offensive Coordinators, results are mixed but improved. They have zero creativity on defense, they do what they do, which frankly permeates the entire franchise. There is zero thought to defining a game plan based on opponent. They overrated the talent, they have no discernible advantage on the sidelines, the ST are woeful, and the Head Coach is way past his expiration date. Add to the fact the FO has been wandering the NFL desert for 24+ years, and you get a team that has lost 6 of 9 and is mediocre at best overall.

Creeper

Reaction score
There is a long list of little things that have made the Cowboys a disappointment and some seem to be recurring problems.

1. The defense does not create turnovers. They are last in the league in Interceptions, and this is becoming normal for the Cowboys. They always seem to be near the bottom of the league in turnovers.
2. The defense is also ordinary. They rarely change things up. I understand you can't install a new scheme every week, but you can mix in a few blitzes every week to confuse opponents and keep them thinking. The defense is not aggressive enough.
3. The pass rush disappears in crucial moments. The lack of pass rush often allows drives, especially at the end of halves or at the end of games.
4. They are one of the worst tackling teams I have ever seen.
5. Defenders struggle to get off blocks, especially the LBs. They are soft.
6. On offense, blockers struggle to maintain blocks, especially the TEs not named Witten. I really believe when they let Dez go, they lost their best blocking WR in a long time and it shows in the outside running game.
7. The offense lacks a decent TE. I am not sold on Jarwin. He makes some plays every now and then, but not often enough, even when he is on the field. He just looks like he can run after the catch because we are comparing him to Witten.
8. Dak is reverting to the Dak of 2018 and that is not good.
9 Special teams. Everything about them. They don't return punts or kickoffs well and they haven't done well covering punt and kickoff returns. When they do return punts or kickoffs there is almost always a penalty for a block in the back or holding. The kicker misses too many FGs, especially the shorter ones and the punter has this habit of kicking a poor punt just when the Cowboys could use a good one.
10. Clock management has been horrible under Jason Garrett for years.
11. Play calling in the red zone is often bizarre. They seem to not know what to do when they get inside the 10 yard line so they throw the ball constantly. It looks like the coaches have lost confidence in the OL and RB.
12. The RB seems to have lost confidence in his speed and maybe its because he has lost a step or two.
13. Injuries to certain players seem to effect Dallas more than most teams. Poor depth? Or is it the game plans don't account for the replacement players being on the field? Losing a left tackle is a big deal for any team but most teams don't give up 10 sacks when the backup is playing because they give him some help.
14. The Cowboys show up for games looking unprepared for the what the other team is going to do to them. They are not good at making adjustments or it takes them a long time to make adjustments. Other teams, good teams, always seem to be a step ahead of them. It like every other team is Roadrunner and the Cowboys are the dumbfounded Coyote.
15. Stupid drive killing penalties, although I hesitate to put this on the list because too often they are phantom calls.

Jerry Jones is never going to hire a head coach with full autonomy but some of these things can be corrected with a better coaching staff. Certainly, even a Jerry puppet can manage the clock better and make better game time decisions. A puppet can make adjustments during the games, come up with game plans, be prepared for what other teams do, and even coach better tackling. Can a new coach play a more aggressive style of defense, even if it means giving up a few big plays? I am going to say no to that. I believe the overall strategy and look of this team is Jerry's doing. Convince me I am wrong.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Let's see...

a front office with zero accountability because top decision makers have jobs-for-life,
a coaching staff that is always a step behind, reactive rather than proactive,
players who get treated like, and paid like, stars without actually winning anything,
too many fans who keep handing the organization more money despite decades of coming up short.

LittleD

Reaction score
We've seen the Jerry/Jason movie for years now. The reruns don't get any better with age. Jerry won't fire his red headed boy and tries
to be buddies with the players. What more could be wrong with this movie. Just another Nightmare on Elm Street.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is very simple to me, they're not a football team. They're portraying a football team in some kind of reality show because they get more attention than the teams that are really performing and that's why you saw the BUF players doing what they were doing at the end of that game regarding the undeserved attention the Cowboys receive. The Cowboys players think they are there to entertain. Losing carries no repercussions. In fact, the GM will point fingers at anyone but a player.

The simple reason this team underperforms is that there is no fear. No fear of anything. The GM makes sure the HC's can't instill any fear because he wants to be liked. He wouldn't even let one increase fines.

Parcells tried to return it to a football team and was partially successful doubling the wins in his first year with basically the same roster but even he had interference. What other team would react to the HC trying to get a player's attention and help him grow up by interfering and taking that player to breakfast once a week? Not only did that not work on the player, it sent the wrong message to the team.

I don't care who they get as HC, until the culture changes from Booger's Boys back to the Cowboys, this is what you are going to get. It needs to be a team again and get into the headlines with what happens on the field. That will not happen as long as Booger is in control and I have little faith it will change even then.

What is wrong can't be fixed. I have acclimated myself to this is what it is to be a fan of this team form here on out. That no fear the players don't have? The GM has that as well.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
This is not intended to be a big bash fest of the team. I am just going to throw a few things out for conversation.

First off no team has everything go right. And the Cowboys are NOT doing everything wrong. So many of you want to throw the baby out with the bathwater and that accomplishes nothing. The better way to keep the arrow pointing up is to make an honest self evaluation and tweak the minor things that get you over the hump instead of blowing it up and starting from scratch.

We have a very talented roster. The team should be winning and competing better than it is. So what needs to change?

I think the single biggest problem that this team has week in and week out is defensive coaching. I refuse to believe that our defense is not talented. I really believe if this team had reasonably good coaching this defense would be much better than it is.

The run defense sucks as a general rule. It’s probably mostly scheme related but we also refuse to invest in a pocket collapsing NT. That’s the single biggest issue on defense.

Rod has no idea how to evaluate talent and values the wrong things in player evaluation on the DL.

Kellen Moore is doing the right things on offense but some rookie coaching mistakes are costing us at inopportune times.

Our OL is underperforming as a unit. They are probably the highest plaid unit in the NFL and they aren’t consistently performing at that level.

Special teams are an absolute train wreck. I guess it could always be worse if we fired the special teams coach, but I’m not sure how that can be. They are already epically bad.

You guys an discount this one all you want but anti Cowboys officiating bias is also costing us multiple games every year. The Zeke fumble that really wasn’t a fumble cost us a game earlier this year. The two phantom tripping calls also cost us the Patriots game. This is really getting old.

If I were Jerry Jones I would fire the special teams coach immediately. I would fire Marinelli too immediately. I would promote Richard (who probably also sucks) and see if he could right the ship by the end of the season. If not he would be gone at the end of this season.

I would also cut Maher first thing Monday morning. I’m not sure it would help the team talent wise, but it would send a message that you must perform or you are gone.
I agree coaching is the most likely culprit.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

its a situation that Jerry has created...

a lame duck coach, in the last season....and he openly criticizing him. I am not saying his criticism is not right. coaching lacks. but there is consequences....when you do that. and the coach is on the path to get fired, the employees aka Players will be impacted, they are less focused, thus execution start to slip, little mistakes start to show up, and it snow balls, frustration will set in and as much as they want, the focus will not be there.....Jerry is trying to drag this out to the end of the season and it won't do any good. players have quit on the team. coaches have quit.... its so obvious looking at Garrett's face, compared to previous years that he is frustrated. he is different and he is slowly quitting. its human nature. then there is talk of him going to NY, so the rest of the coaching staff is pressing and probably thinking of their next gig....

its all falling apart...… and at the center is as usual Jerry.

he created this mess, by meddling. I am not supporting garrett. I am not defending him. but when you create an organization when the lines of reporting and structure don't exist. when you make comments that the OC can come to me if he doesn't like what the coach is saying, then you have muddled lines of authority....employees aka players listen, hear that and they act accordingly....disinterest sets in. it snow balls.

Jerry should stay out of it, and let garrett hang himself or just cut the cord. this half way, half arsed process is broke.....garrett either chooses his own people and fails (as he will) or if you meddle in and not allow him to choose his staff and do his thing, then you are also part of the problem. either prolonging the inevitable or causing the issue to begin with...

and to that end, what do we think is going to happen...lets say we hire the popular choice Urban Meyer....hey, it sells hope. it sells tickets. it sells merchandise, jerry will stay away for a year perhaps!!! then he starts his meddling. perhaps meyer being a college coach, jerry may meddle from the beginning pushing certain coaches on Meyer. and what's going to happen 3-5 years from now? one good season, then a whole bunch of turmoil and back to square one.

Jerry is Al Davis 2.0 right now. even more desparate than he was 10-15 years ago as time is running out and its been 25 years and he hears the criticism. he will meddle more. he will be less patient. and since he gave it 10 years and it blew up...this time, in 2 or 3 years he will blow it up. and we go through the cycles all over again.

this is going to continue, until either jerry is too old to walk, talk or he decides to retire or he dies (god forbid, that's not what I am saying or wanting to happen)….

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Players freelancing and trying to make a play when they should just be concentrating on their responsibility on the play.
Players poor tackling.
No sense of urgency.
Players not concentrating.
Players thinking their talent alone will win games.
Players lacking the heart of a champion.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
It has to be the coaches or the owner, right?

I mean, Barry Switzer walked in and won a SB despite having no NFL experience and instilling no discipline in the team. The players were just that good.

Johnson went to the Dolphins and did nothing with a very good team. Very good, but not the Cowboys of the early-mid 90's. If he had the golden touch, why couldn't he get Marino to the SB?

This team isn't 6-6 because of coaching. It's 6-6 because of execution by the players. Gotta be able to kick FGs from 50 and in. Gotta not get behind the chains because of bad penalties. Gotta not TRIP TWICE (yes, we were hosed). WR1 has gotta catch a 4th and 12 when the game is on the line.

Every team is going to lose games. Beating ourselves is most frustrating, though.

CooterBrown

Reaction score
Jason Garrett lacks authority to instill personal accountability. He can't cut anybody who consistently fails to execute because Jerry Jones makes those decisions. I'm paraphrasing here, but Jimmy Johnson once said the Cowboys problem is that there is no fear in that locker room.
Optimal performance at anything requires a stress-balance between confidence in success and fear of failure. Fear of failure drives one to prepare diligently and the lack of preparation by these players and coaches shows up every game. Garrett's records against NFC East teams is not just that it is a weak division, it is that they are so familiar with each other that less preparation is required.

DC Cowboy

Reaction score

No inside pressure from D line