What is wrong with the Cowboys?

LovinItAll

Reaction score
The Pat's are working on championship #7 since the dawn of the FA era.

The ravens have risen, declined, risen again, been left for dead, and quickly ascended now a 3rd time. The 49ers crumbled, became a SB team, became a joke, and now are once again dominant.

The point is, good organizations are navigating the new NFL just fine. But, not us.

There is only one Bellichick/Brady combination. Don't know what else to say. So many teams have tried to emulate the Pats, including coaches from the Bellichick tree. Nobody has been successful at it.

Since 2010:

Ravens have won: 84 games
49'ers have won: 67 games
Cowboys have won: 78 games

At +6 games over 9 years, the Ravens have won less than a game more per year than the Cowboys. That's not 'navigating FA better'. It's parity.

Let's go back further:

Since 2000:

Ravens have won: 176 games
49'ers have won: 135 games
Cowboys have won: 158 games

Over 19 years, the Ravens have won 18 regular season have more than us, less than one game per season. Again, that's not navigating FA better. That's parity.

You're focused on post-season success. I get that. I'm as frustrated as anyone. However, the NFL makes their hay during the regular season. That's where their desire for parity lies.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Teams have figured out how to have success against them and Garrett and Co. keep trotting out the same ol.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is not intended to be a big bash fest of the team. I am just going to throw a few things out for conversation.

First off no team has everything go right. And the Cowboys are NOT doing everything wrong. So many of you want to throw the baby out with the bathwater and that accomplishes nothing. The better way to keep the arrow pointing up is to make an honest self evaluation and tweak the minor things that get you over the hump instead of blowing it up and starting from scratch.

We have a very talented roster. The team should be winning and competing better than it is. So what needs to change?

I think the single biggest problem that this team has week in and week out is defensive coaching. I refuse to believe that our defense is not talented. I really believe if this team had reasonably good coaching this defense would be much better than it is.

The run defense sucks as a general rule. It’s probably mostly scheme related but we also refuse to invest in a pocket collapsing NT. That’s the single biggest issue on defense.

Rod has no idea how to evaluate talent and values the wrong things in player evaluation on the DL.

Kellen Moore is doing the right things on offense but some rookie coaching mistakes are costing us at inopportune times.

Our OL is underperforming as a unit. They are probably the highest plaid unit in the NFL and they aren’t consistently performing at that level.

Special teams are an absolute train wreck. I guess it could always be worse if we fired the special teams coach, but I’m not sure how that can be. They are already epically bad.

You guys an discount this one all you want but anti Cowboys officiating bias is also costing us multiple games every year. The Zeke fumble that really wasn’t a fumble cost us a game earlier this year. The two phantom tripping calls also cost us the Patriots game. This is really getting old.

If I were Jerry Jones I would fire the special teams coach immediately. I would fire Marinelli too immediately. I would promote Richard (who probably also sucks) and see if he could right the ship by the end of the season. If not he would be gone at the end of this season.

I would also cut Maher first thing Monday morning. I’m not sure it would help the team talent wise, but it would send a message that you must perform or you are gone.

Everything you describe points to the Head Coach.

Garrett is not Big Personality coach like Parcells or Jimmy that can manipulate players, coaches, refs and ownership.

Garrett is not a Sean McVay X & O whiz kid type HC.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is not intended to be a big bash fest of the team. I am just going to throw a few things out for conversation.

First off no team has everything go right. And the Cowboys are NOT doing everything wrong. So many of you want to throw the baby out with the bathwater and that accomplishes nothing. The better way to keep the arrow pointing up is to make an honest self evaluation and tweak the minor things that get you over the hump instead of blowing it up and starting from scratch.

We have a very talented roster. The team should be winning and competing better than it is. So what needs to change?

I think the single biggest problem that this team has week in and week out is defensive coaching. I refuse to believe that our defense is not talented. I really believe if this team had reasonably good coaching this defense would be much better than it is.

The run defense sucks as a general rule. It’s probably mostly scheme related but we also refuse to invest in a pocket collapsing NT. That’s the single biggest issue on defense.

Rod has no idea how to evaluate talent and values the wrong things in player evaluation on the DL.

Kellen Moore is doing the right things on offense but some rookie coaching mistakes are costing us at inopportune times.

Our OL is underperforming as a unit. They are probably the highest plaid unit in the NFL and they aren’t consistently performing at that level.

Special teams are an absolute train wreck. I guess it could always be worse if we fired the special teams coach, but I’m not sure how that can be. They are already epically bad.

You guys an discount this one all you want but anti Cowboys officiating bias is also costing us multiple games every year. The Zeke fumble that really wasn’t a fumble cost us a game earlier this year. The two phantom tripping calls also cost us the Patriots game. This is really getting old.

If I were Jerry Jones I would fire the special teams coach immediately. I would fire Marinelli too immediately. I would promote Richard (who probably also sucks) and see if he could right the ship by the end of the season. If not he would be gone at the end of this season.

I would also cut Maher first thing Monday morning. I’m not sure it would help the team talent wise, but it would send a message that you must perform or you are gone.

All the above text and nothing about that little problem we have scoring points and falling behind in most of our games?
Red-Zone ineptness.
Add to that our very ANEMIC record vs teams with winning records due to the above and you blaming our destiny on a ZEKE fumble and the Off-line.
Another payroll kamikaze in the house!