What keeping the same core of big paid players has produced

kskboys

Reaction score
I have a hard time seeing that this window is still wide open.

The last few drafts have left some huge holes in the roster and players are declining and/or leaving faster than they are being brought in.

Doesn’t matter how positive or negative anyone wants to be…that’s a fact. It could be mitigated with free agent additions but we’ve already been told it’ll be bargain bin shopping yet again.
To truly compete, we need a DT/OT/2LB's/RB. That's 5 starters, at minimum. We've been left w/ huge gaping holes because we drafted Trysten/Kelvin/Schooner/Williams. You just can't have that many 2nd round misses and expect to compete.

Bargain bin shopping is all we have left due to previous severe salary miscalculations. Most aren't even aware that we have 6 mil in dead cap money left from Ezekiel Elliot.

plasticman

Reaction score
Size is talent. It's part of the equation.

And then analyze why we ran this type D. Lack of talent. At both LB and DT.

Serious question: Why is it so hard for fans to see and admit we have a lack of talent? I seriously don't understand.
It's probably the way you attempt to treat them as if they are far less intelligent than you.

Size is not talent. if it were then any big man could excel at football regardless of skill set and that is not true. Size is an advantage that can increase a player's ability to perform well but it is not a skill or talent.

That's my opinion. You disagree. I understand that.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Bad leadership from the QB position started it all. For some odd reason, no one brings it up. Hurts publicly blamed his teammates and started the whine fest. I cannot fathom why he gets a pass. The QB of the team absolutely cannot do such a thing.
I did not hear about that.

kskboys

Reaction score
It's probably the way you attempt to treat them as if they are far less intelligent than you.

Size is not talent. if it were then any big man could excel at football regardless of skill set and that is not true. Size is an advantage that can increase a player's ability to perform well but it is not a skill or talent.

That's my opinion. You disagree. I understand that.
Apologies.

Size is a talent for the NFL, just as speed, lateral agility, burst, and instincts are talents.

Just because size is a talent does not mean it's the only talent.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
D Law the cornerstone of the worst stretch of defense in team history. Why would we ever want to move on from that.

plasticman

Reaction score
Apologies.

Size is a talent for the NFL, just as speed, lateral agility, burst, and instincts are talents.

Just because size is a talent does not mean it's the only talent.
Size are speed are physical attributes. Excellent open field tackling is a talent.

A talent is expertise or aptitude in a particular skill.

Having said that, I'm about to do a complete 180 and agree with you.

Perhaps we just aren't on the same page as far as what "size" is. I look at size as a person's born and naturally developed physical dimensions. Being 6 FT 3 inches is not a talent. He did not make a commitment to work as hard as possible to get to 6 FT 3.

But what if you are defining size as an athlete's ability to bulk up. maintain a certain mass index and gain additional strength? The ability to commit yourself to strict regimen of workouts and food discipline is indeed a talent. He would be working hard to get bigger in terms of additional muscle mass.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Ok, so what is the solution? Do we never resign a player and just go with the college mentality?
No, he wants to get rid of all the good players for years and years and years you know like The Jets do lots of the bottom 16 teams do,

who never seem to sign their big free agents they always trade them for more draft picks and what's it get them?? I mean I didn't even read Bob's thing yet I just read the title and I already know what it was gonna say but you gotta keep your core players that's the same as signing other people's big free agents if we cut those guys they would be top ten free agent pickups for other teams this year what's the difference between us signing our own players and it being viewed as big free agent pickups because that's what it is you have to make a choice do you already have the players you need and you sign them to the big deal for their second contract or do you need to let them go because they're not good enough and then you have to get somebody else's free agent...

So, this is a catch 22 there's risk all around doing it but sometimes you got to keep at least your core you don't have to resign everyone but you do draft great so you can have your core players in place...

I think it's interesting just happened to glance over at the new contract the bears gave their cornerback and it makes him top four now and it pushes Trayvon diggs to five that type of contract's not bad you gave Trayvon diggs a fourth overall contract four corners but now he's 5 already I mean that's what you got to hope you got to hope that our players will do what this bears player just did and what Trayvon diggs date is not trying to be the number one top paid player at their position not force the issue I hope that some of our players would be willing to take a 5 or 6 payment because that'll help the team sustain a solid roster versus their ability to build a roster because these people get super greedy..

Yeah and I know there's a couple guys out here we come say these guys should get everything that they asked for and demand the most that's not if you look around the NFL what everyone of them do I just hope some of these guys will take a very good lifetime contract as far as money setting them up for a lifetime but help the team a little bit and not try to be the top paid all time at the their position.​

blueblood70

Reaction score
I will start with the assumption that most of us would agree that the “core” players this team has built around the last 5-8 years are the players based on their contracts and/or future contracts. Doesn’t mean we all agree they are worth it, just that these are the players the Cowboys have chosen to keep and pay big bucks to keep:

CORE PLAYERS UNDER BIG CONTRACTS
  • Dak Prescott (been here since 2016- signed a 4 year, $160 million contract in 2021, and is negotiating an extension)
  • Tyron Smith (been here since 2011- signed big in 2014 and has been extended multiple times- probably not back in 2024)
  • Zack Martin (been here since 2014- just signed a 2 yr $36 million extension)
  • DeMarcus Lawrence (been here since 2014- signed a 3 year, $40 mil contract in 2022)
  • Michael Gallup (been here since 2018- signed a 5 year $57 million contract in 2022)
  • Tony Pollard (been here since 2019- was on the franchise tag last year for $10 million)
  • Donovan Wilson (been here since 2019- signed a 3 yr 21 million contract in 2023)
  • Trevon Diggs (been here since 2020- signed a 5 year $97 million contract in 2023)
  • Terrance Steele (been here since 2020- signed a 5 year $82 million contract in 2023)
CORE PLAYERS PROJECTED TO GET BIG CONTRACTS (there will be others too but these are obvious)
  • Cedee Lamb (been here since 2020. Will get a big deal soon)
  • Micah Parsons (been here since 2021. Will get a huge deal soon too)
So here’s my big point- with all the money sunk into all these players over multiple years, with two different HCs, multiple coordinators and assistant coaches - THIS CORE GROUP OF PLAYERS HAVE WON 3 WILD CARD PLAYOFF GAMES. If having these guys is soooo important, why haven’t we done better in the playoffs?

So here’s some questions:
1. if this core group hasn’t been able to accomplish more than 3 wild card wins in 10 years, why are we “running it back” thinking 2024 is going to be “the year”?
2. Why do assume these guys are all worth keeping together when having them together with multiple coaching staffs hasn’t gotten much further than an occasional wild card win.
3. Are we really just a couple of players away from winning multiple playoff games? I can’t see how that’s true.
The risk is you don't know their value so if they're not on the team and you get rid of a lot of those players and you try to stay young and just keep redrafting every year then maybe you fight to get to 9 wins and you don't make the playoffs you don't win your division twice in three years you don't win 36 games you go to the playoffs 5 of those eight years we had that quarterback standing I mean that's the difference sometimes it only means three or four more wins but that's a hell of a lot more wins when you're on the fringe I'm either going to the playoffs or not..

I realize Super Bowls are supposed to be the goal and the expectations and that we're not meeting those goals and expectations with these guys but we would not even be contending yearly and yes we may not be the top contender but we're in the playoffs we had opportunities because of those core guys...​
I mean the salary cap's the same how you split it up that's up to the front office and how you feel your needs are but you're spending the money either way if you think you can make a better team with more cheap players instead of more stars and core players there aren't many teams that can say they did that this all in attitude is overpaying for other people's free agents it's making high risk moves in the draft to get better players which in the end are gonna cost you more money it's a catch 22 I don't see a difference every team has a different philosophy...​
And I know there's only one example of teams being able to do that but they don't have 31 Patrick mahomes and 31 more Andy Reed and that scheme because that's the only team I know that's getting rid of core players and still winning but that doesn't happen normally,,, ohh and by the way the money they paid and they're probably gonna pay Chris Jones well he was as important in that Super Bowl run as Patrick mahomes in my opinion he's that guy on defense and they got Kelsey as well but yes they're like New England at times a few Super Bowl runs have done it with less talent but those types of head coach quarterback combinations don't come around much maybe once a generation 10 once a generation 10-15 years you find guys like that 15 years you find guys like that..​
I mean that's like hitting the lottery you finding that generational quarterback and head coach that has a scheme like that on offense at the same time.... That's not a blueprint that that's something that you just stumbled upon it's hard to do or all teams would be doing it..​
Just like I posted before I read it on Bleacher Report there's been 95 quarterbacks drafted since 2016 and only one of them has won a Super Bowl just let that sink in so all teams are overpaying at quarterback or other positions at times Super Bowls are hard to get to that's why there's only one or two teams over the last 20 years that are regularly getting there...​

kskboys

Reaction score
Size are speed are physical attributes. Excellent open field tackling is a talent.

A talent is expertise or aptitude in a particular skill.

Having said that, I'm about to do a complete 180 and agree with you.

Perhaps we just aren't on the same page as far as what "size" is. I look at size as a person's born and naturally developed physical dimensions. Being 6 FT 3 inches is not a talent. He did not make a commitment to work as hard as possible to get to 6 FT 3.

But what if you are defining size as an athlete's ability to bulk up. maintain a certain mass index and gain additional strength? The ability to commit yourself to strict regimen of workouts and food discipline is indeed a talent. He would be working hard to get bigger in terms of additional muscle mass.
Physical attributes = talent in the NFL, moreso than any other sport. That's just semantics, however. Talent is described as natural aptitude or skill. Having size and being able to use that size to your advantage would be loosely considered a talent.

Thanks for pointing out my talking down. I tend to get that way when I get frustrated, something that I need to work on.