What keeping the same core of big paid players has produced

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yea , it’s a huge obstacle to overcome . Those other teams with normal FO situations should be ashamed hey haven’t fielded a better than than Jethro has.

But at least they have a better opportunity to finally get it right. And why since our last championship appearance we have seen most of the league get it right even if briefly.

Only Wash and Dallas in NFC has failed to reach a championship game since our last. And I wanna say only a couple teams in AFC.
The only hope is that the poaches are able to get the players they need to fix their weaknesses. Despite Jerry’s interference.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I will start with the assumption that most of us would agree that the “core” players this team has built around the last 5-8 years are the players based on their contracts and/or future contracts. Doesn’t mean we all agree they are worth it, just that these are the players the Cowboys have chosen to keep and pay big bucks to keep:

CORE PLAYERS UNDER BIG CONTRACTS
  • Dak Prescott (been here since 2016- signed a 4 year, $160 million contract in 2021, and is negotiating an extension)
  • Tyron Smith (been here since 2011- signed big in 2014 and has been extended multiple times- probably not back in 2024)
  • Zack Martin (been here since 2014- just signed a 2 yr $36 million extension)
  • DeMarcus Lawrence (been here since 2014- signed a 3 year, $40 mil contract in 2022)
  • Michael Gallup (been here since 2018- signed a 5 year $57 million contract in 2022)
  • Tony Pollard (been here since 2019- was on the franchise tag last year for $10 million)
  • Donovan Wilson (been here since 2019- signed a 3 yr 21 million contract in 2023)
  • Trevon Diggs (been here since 2020- signed a 5 year $97 million contract in 2023)
  • Terrance Steele (been here since 2020- signed a 5 year $82 million contract in 2023)
CORE PLAYERS PROJECTED TO GET BIG CONTRACTS (there will be others too but these are obvious)
  • Cedee Lamb (been here since 2020. Will get a big deal soon)
  • Micah Parsons (been here since 2021. Will get a huge deal soon too)
So here’s my big point- with all the money sunk into all these players over multiple years, with two different HCs, multiple coordinators and assistant coaches - THIS CORE GROUP OF PLAYERS HAVE WON 3 WILD CARD PLAYOFF GAMES. If having these guys is soooo important, why haven’t we done better in the playoffs?

So here’s some questions:
1. if this core group hasn’t been able to accomplish more than 3 wild card wins in 10 years, why are we “running it back” thinking 2024 is going to be “the year”?
2. Why do assume these guys are all worth keeping together when having them together with multiple coaching staffs hasn’t gotten much further than an occasional wild card win.
3. Are we really just a couple of players away from winning multiple playoff games? I can’t see how that’s true.
The players are not the problem. Leadership and culture of the leadership and team is the problem.

Your HC should be the leader of the football organization (see every Super Bowl Winning Head Coach including the real Dallas Cowboys), then your QB can be the leader of the team (see every Super Bowl winning team including the real Dallas Cowboys) , and then the other leaders and players have accountability to leadership. This creates a stable culture to create a winner.

Who is the leader of the Arlington Jonesboys?

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
It's really not. The goal of most teams is to get to the super bowl. It's Jerry that's only interested in getting to the playoffs, most teams don't feel that way.
In my post, I did specify that the ULTIMATE GOAL is to win a SUPER BOWL. I guess in your rush to disagree you missed it.. At least you got a "like" for not reading the post correctly lol.. Good job :facepalm:

75boyz

Reaction score
The players are not the problem. Leadership and culture of the leadership and team is the problem.

Your HC should be the leader of the football organization (see every Super Bowl Winning Head Coach including the real Dallas Cowboys), then your QB can be the leader of the team (see every Super Bowl winning team including the real Dallas Cowboys) , and then the other leaders and players have accountability to leadership. This creates a stable culture to create a winner.

Yep. Exactly this.
And put me down as believing in a qualty HC and QB being absolutely mandatory for NFL success.

Our head coach sucks at playoff football.
Our quarterback sucks at playoff football.

The rest of the team follows their lead.

plasticman

Reaction score
I don't think it's a matter of talent. I think it has to do with team culture when it comes to the level of their commitment to be champions.

Due to Jerry's marketing prowess, they are incredibly popular without having to win anything. Their situation is "satisfying". Do they really have that desire to work at peak level every day to be the best?

What does it say to the entire team that the position of "GM" is a part time job?

Do you think Jerry is spending nights in his office brainstorming for ways to build a championship team, obsessed with being the best, leaving no stone unturned? Does he put in a 70 hour week with the sole responsibility of giving his city or region something to celebrate?

Building the right culture starts at the top. They don't have the culture because they don't even have the proper builder.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Yep. Exactly this.
And put me down as believing in a qualty HC and QB being absolutely mandatory for NFL success.

Our head coach sucks at playoff football.
That is because your defacto Head Coach is your GM who is your team's owner. He think he is Al Davis. But Al Davis actually was a real Head Coach and real GM that did not become sole owner of the team until 1976 (started 1960). Al also had a GM and real Head Coach all of his years as the owner.

You are just stuck with a owner, GM, and Defacto Head Coach that is the same person that is satisfied with being relevant.

kskboys

Reaction score
In my post, I did specify that the ULTIMATE GOAL is to win a SUPER BOWL. I guess in your rush to disagree you missed it.. At least you got a "like" for not reading the post correctly lol.. Good job :facepalm:
I'll give you a like then for very poorly portraying your thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't think it's a matter of talent. I think it has to do with team culture when it comes to the level of their commitment to be champions.

Due to Jerry's marketing prowess, they are incredibly popular without having to win anything. Their situation is "satisfying". Do they really have that desire to work at peak level every day to be the best?

What does it say to the entire team that the position of "GM" is a part time job?

Do you think Jerry is spending nights in his office brainstorming for ways to build a championship team, obsessed with being the best, leaving no stone unturned? Does he put in a 70 hour week with the sole responsibility of giving his city or region something to celebrate?

Building the right culture starts at the top. They don't have the culture because they don't even have the proper builder.
You didn't see our LB's and DT's getting run over due to inferior talent? Honestly, how did you miss that?

kskboys

Reaction score

Unless you have S's playing LB and a rotational type starting at the 3, then the players are the problem. And add in a backup RB starting.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Unless you have S's playing LB and a rotational type starting at the 3, then the players are the problem. And add in a backup RB starting.
Who was drafting one legged, broke neck LBs, and letting healthy LBs go to KC to get Super Bowl rings that left the team with a S playing LB? Your GM, defacto Head Coach, and Owner, the same person, and the same results for 30 years.

ArtClink

Reaction score
It would be truly amazing. We are after all the most handicapped franchise with our owner determined to be our GM. I’m shocked they can even field a team this competitive.

The rest of the league who operate in a normal fashion who can’t put a team together better than us should be ashamed. But at least they have a better opportunity to finally get it right.
Exactly. 31 other teams are not handicapped like we are. HC with no power with Jerry wielding the power of the HC and his insistence on micromanaging every facet of football operations. Our post season record speaks for itself. At least in the Dallas area there are three other teams (Stars, Mavs, and Rangers) who have been to their respective conf finals multiple times in the past 28 years so I'm happy to give them my money instead of the idiot who hasn't changed his football "management" model in forever.

75boyz

Reaction score
That is because your defacto Head Coach is your GM who is your team's owner. He think he is Al Davis. But Al Davis actually was a real Head Coach and real GM that did not become sole owner of the team until 1976 (started 1960). Al also had a GM and real Head Coach all of his years as the owner.

You are just stuck with a owner, GM, and Defacto Head Coach that is the same person that is satisfied with being relevant.
Valid points but a former SB winning coach still shouldn't **** the bed in the playoffs like he has "regardless" of the culture and/or undermining that Jerry's presence creates.

McCarthy sucks at playoff football.
So does Dak.
Just cuz Jerry hired them and drafted them don't absolve them of sucking at their jobs as related to playoff football performance.
One's a SB winning HC.
One's a league MVP runner up.

Jerry had nothing to do with the both of them ******** the bed in the most important playoff game in recent memory.

Again, they all suck and share in the GM, HC and QB NFL triangle to success.

I just don't put all the blame squarely under the Jerry Jones umbrella when both the HC and QB are failing miserably at their jobs too.
And again, regardless if Jerry hired/drafted them.
They share in their own individual portion of blame in failed job performance.

jmo

Last edited:

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Valid points but a former SB winning coach still shouldn't **** the bed in the playoffs like he has "regardless" of the culture and/or undermining that Jerry's presence creates.

McCarthy sucks at playoff football.
So does Dak.
Just cuz Jerry hired them and drafted them don't absolve them of sucking at their jobs as related to playoff football performance.
One's a SB winning HC.
One's a league MVP runner up.

Jerry had nothing to do with the both of them ******** the bed in the most important playoff game in recent memory.

Again, they all suck and share in the GM, HC and QB NFL triangle to success.

I just don't put all the blame squarely under the Jerry Jones umbrella when both the HC and QB are failing miserably at their jobs too.
And again, regardless if Jerry hired/drafted them.
They share in their own individual portion of blame in failed job performance.

jmo
Dak and McCarthy deserve blame.

However, who traded away Amari Cooper, Chavarious Ward, did not resign Randy Gregory, Anthony Hitchens, Damien Wilson, and Malik Collins?

Who let go a +40 catch, 900-1200 yd, 12 TDs RB to depend on a RB that never was a starter at RB in high school, college, and the NFL until last year coming off a broke leg?

Who is about play new starters at LT, LG, and C thinking the OL will improve?

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I will start with the assumption that most of us would agree that the “core” players this team has built around the last 5-8 years are the players based on their contracts and/or future contracts. Doesn’t mean we all agree they are worth it, just that these are the players the Cowboys have chosen to keep and pay big bucks to keep:

CORE PLAYERS UNDER BIG CONTRACTS
  • Dak Prescott (been here since 2016- signed a 4 year, $160 million contract in 2021, and is negotiating an extension)
  • Tyron Smith (been here since 2011- signed big in 2014 and has been extended multiple times- probably not back in 2024)
  • Zack Martin (been here since 2014- just signed a 2 yr $36 million extension)
  • DeMarcus Lawrence (been here since 2014- signed a 3 year, $40 mil contract in 2022)
  • Michael Gallup (been here since 2018- signed a 5 year $57 million contract in 2022)
  • Tony Pollard (been here since 2019- was on the franchise tag last year for $10 million)
  • Donovan Wilson (been here since 2019- signed a 3 yr 21 million contract in 2023)
  • Trevon Diggs (been here since 2020- signed a 5 year $97 million contract in 2023)
  • Terrance Steele (been here since 2020- signed a 5 year $82 million contract in 2023)
CORE PLAYERS PROJECTED TO GET BIG CONTRACTS (there will be others too but these are obvious)
  • Cedee Lamb (been here since 2020. Will get a big deal soon)
  • Micah Parsons (been here since 2021. Will get a huge deal soon too)
So here’s my big point- with all the money sunk into all these players over multiple years, with two different HCs, multiple coordinators and assistant coaches - THIS CORE GROUP OF PLAYERS HAVE WON 3 WILD CARD PLAYOFF GAMES. If having these guys is soooo important, why haven’t we done better in the playoffs?

So here’s some questions:
1. if this core group hasn’t been able to accomplish more than 3 wild card wins in 10 years, why are we “running it back” thinking 2024 is going to be “the year”?
2. Why do assume these guys are all worth keeping together when having them together with multiple coaching staffs hasn’t gotten much further than an occasional wild card win.
3. Are we really just a couple of players away from winning multiple playoff games? I can’t see how that’s true.
Steeles contract was a joke. He's a 8-10 million a year guy not a 15 and it was off a season ending injury. Only this front office.

75boyz

Reaction score

However, who traded away Amari Cooper, Chavarious Ward, did not resign Randy Gregory, Anthony Hitchens, Damien Wilson, and Malik Collins?

Who let go a +40 catch, 900-1200 yd, 12 TDs RB to depend on a RB that never was a starter at RB in high school, college, and the NFL until last year coming off a broke leg?

Yeah,
I know all the answers to your who questions is one person by the name of Jerry Jones.

But again, my main concern was who was supposed to have the Dallas Cowboys football team prepared to play the Green Bay Packers?

And who was supposed to be prepared to quarterback the Dallas Cowboys football team against the Green Bay Packers?

In neither case was it Jerry Jones.
And I'm not a Jerry fan boi.
It's just McFraud and Dak suck at their jobs too.

No worries man, if you had said who was the idiot that decides to run it back with the same incompetent duo at the 2 most important positions of his team then you woulda had me.
Lol

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Rock I‘m not saying get rid of all of them. I’m just saying that our leaders seem to over-value these guys collectively, and we haven’t done much with them. I’m not saying get rid of all of them. But I do wonder if by keeping ALL of them with the same coaching staff and FO, we should expect different results.
Stephen Jones (the guy in charge of the roster) basically said about our core players "Yes i am going to pay them" then said this "I just need to go find some guys who will step up in the playoffs"...make it make sense...
Micah 2years ago- "I'm here to change things!"
Micah this offseason "Go find some players who can change things!"

so yeah we still expect diferent results..I'm not sure the players themselves believe and the person in charge of the roster is gonna pay them while knowing he needs to find players who can win playoff games...make it make sense...

Chasing6

Reaction score

Sounds like we are rebuilding.

plasticman

Reaction score
You didn't see our LB's and DT's getting run over due to inferior talent? Honestly, how did you miss that?
The Cowboys run defense was at least average through the first three quarters of the season.

After 12 games, the Cowboys allowed 4.1 yards a carry, tied for 11th lowest in the league. They had allowed a total of 1272 rushing yards, ranked 12th lowest.

During the last five games of the season, the Cowboys defense simply ran out of gas......or desire......or heart.

During that timeframe, the defense was ranked 20th in yards per carry allowed. They allowed 638 yards, ranking them 27th.

The talent had been there for most of the season. It was still there during the last part but was not maximized by elevating their efforts during the most important time of the season.

This has been a recurring theme for the entire organization over the past few seasons with regards to the current team and the vital players.

I'm not saying that the Cowboys don't need some upgrades. I'm just saying that they were good enough to where they should have been able to compete with the four teams that played in a conference game last season.

The fact that they flamed out against the Packers is not an issue of talent, it's much deeper than that. It speaks to the overall character of the organization, in particular, an unearned sense of entitlement.

I hate that I have to say this about my Cowboys, the team I've loved for so many years, but they need to shut up and earn something.

kskboys

Reaction score
The Cowboys run defense was at least average through the first three quarters of the season.

After 12 games, the Cowboys allowed 4.1 yards a carry, tied for 11th lowest in the league. They had allowed a total of 1272 rushing yards, ranked 12th lowest.

During the last five games of the season, the Cowboys defense simply ran out of gas......or desire......or heart.

During that timeframe, the defense was ranked 20th in yards per carry allowed. They allowed 638 yards, ranking them 27th.

The talent had been there for most of the season. It was still there during the last part but was not maximized by elevating their efforts during the most important time of the season.

This has been a recurring theme for the entire organization over the past few seasons with regards to the current team and the vital players.

I'm not saying that the Cowboys don't need some upgrades. I'm just saying that they were good enough to where they should have been able to compete with the four teams that played in a conference game last season.

The fact that they flamed out against the Packers is not an issue of talent, it's much deeper than that. It speaks to the overall character of the organization, in particular, an unearned sense of entitlement.

I hate that I have to say this about my Cowboys, the team I've loved for so many years, but they need to shut up and earn something.
Simply not true. We got run over several times during the course of the season. Due to the way this D is built, we completely squush bad teams w/ our D. Good teams go crazy on us running the ball. And that is due purely to a lack of talent at LB and DT. And a DE that doesn't set the edge.

Instead of spewing stats, watch the game.

The D was exposed as we played teams who could run the ball.