What kind of GM/CEO would you prefer?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One that is more conservative and isn't keen on players getting huge deals as you've seen the Patriots coach do for years. Or would you like a GM to be more aggressive in FA, and take risks, even if they may not work out???
Tricky question. There are times when a general manager should be conservative and/or aggressive with acquiring players. Each roster addition or subtraction situation is not the same.

"What kind of GM/CEO would I prefer?" My preference would be a football executive, who has years of experience gained by working within professional sports team organizations--preferably in the National Football League. Someone with a debatable track record of solid decision making and has sought after qualifications by multiple clubs.

In other words, not Jerry Jones. Or his children. Or their children. Crap. No one sharing his DNA.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Looks like the Bill's hard nose approach didnt work in New England post-Brady.

Why?

visionary

Reaction score
1ebe88a0b9b1b9c34979f2760b0ba679.jpg

Thats my Owner/GM/HC

MikeT22

Reaction score
Neither. Need one who understands the game completely and knows when to make a huge deal or when to let a player walk.
Yep, KC could’ve gave Tyreek Hill a huge extension but they let him look for a trade which turned into 1st rounder Trent McDuffie who has been one
of the better CB’s in the league and is still on his rookie deal.

Now KC has told their other top CB, Sneed, that he will either be franchised or his agent can try to work out a trade.

But this only works if you have a good front office who can turn those picks into other young stars. You can give all your top players huge extensions but you will have a top heavy team with the rest being gutted. Or you know when to trade a guy in order to get another good but much cheaper player for 4-5 years.

In Dallas, we are about to give huge deals to Dak, CeeDee and Micah. Probably lead the league in jersey sales though.

1942willys

Reaction score
A really good one that is told win or get real close in say five years or you are gone

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
Give me a GM without an ego and no type of job security. As long as he understands the game changes constantly, and he/she dosent continue to live off of the success from a season that happened over 30 years ago.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
One who is accountable for his choices.

Would also be nice if he wasn't spending his time negotiating Pepsi deals or setting up concerts for Taylor Swift.

You know, just 100% focused on improving the football team.

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
One who builds a team with intelligent players, builds a team mostly from the inside out.

No to nepotism, yes to accountability.

Lastly, maybe most importantly, stay out of the headlines, telegraphing your every move so teams undercut your draft choices, FA pick ups, etc.. Just. Shut. Up.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It doesn't matter what we prefer. It’s pointless. Those are my thoughts.

Forneymike

Reaction score
One who builds a team with intelligent players, builds a team mostly from the inside out.

No nepotism.

Lastly, maybe most importantly, stay out of the headlines, telegraphing your every move so teams undercut your draft choices, FA pick ups, etc.. Just. Shut. Up.
If they don't win super bowls, who cares about all of that. The standard is winning SB's. That is what this board has said so if he doesn't get that done, he should be fired within 2 to 3 years.....the stuff you listed might help but I don't mind any of that if SB's are being won...that used to be the standard when I was growing up so any comments that don't use that as the standard is mediocrity

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
If they don't win super bowls, who cares about all of that. The standard is winning SB's. That is what this board has said so if he doesn't get that done, he should be fired within 2 to 3 years.....the stuff you listed might help but I don't mind any of that if SB's are being won...that used to be the standard when I was growing up so any comments that don't use that as the standard is mediocrity
I took that from the Schramm/Landry model. Sixteen conference championship game appearances in 29 years was pretty good to me.

Forneymike

Reaction score
It was good but back then if they made it to SB but didn't win, people felt like they do now about this team