What longterm Cowboys problems aren’t the fault of Jerry or Garrett?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And what makes me nauseous about this is Jerry acting like fans are supposed to be grateful for hos money making ability as if it’s similar to winning a real championship. I literally care 0% about the monetary value of this team.

As Herm Edwards famously once said, “You play the game to win”. And I would add that if you win, you will make MORE money anyway. As a fan, I’m waaaaay wore impressed by a Lombardi trophy than a Forbes trophy.
All of the hoopla of popularity, revenue, etc is bragging rights only if you’re winning. Otherwise who gives a crap.

When we start hanging banners and selling gear that says “ We’re #1 in Revenue”. I’m giving it up.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Jerry Jones has been trying to find the Next Jimmy Johnson, and then wants to show the world that he can win a Super Bowl as owner, GM and High Exhaulted Mystic Ruler ..Like someone once said, "Jerry Jones rather lose His way than win someone else's way".

instead of having to find the next one, he should done what was required to keep Jimmy in place until Jimmy was ready to retire from football.

Kaiser

Reaction score
The notion that "Jerry doesn't want to win; he only wants money" is absurd. Winning is the best way to make money.

Now, you can argue that Jerry doesn't know how to win, and that would be a fair argument. But the notion that Jerry doesn't want to win is completely ridiculous on its face.

Especially when "Jerry won't spend money" was such a quick replacement for "Jerry spends like a drunken sailor on Tyrone Crawford/Brandon Carr/Roy Williams", etc.

Jerry is known for paying top salaries to coaches and guys like Will McClay, plus he upgraded the practice facility at a cost of (checks notes) one billion dollars. Jerry has plenty of faults but penny pinching isn't one of them.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry Jones is the owner and GM of the Cowboys. By definition, the buck stops with him. If there is a long term problem with the Cowboys that Jerry doesn't own then he is neglecting his job.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Its all jerrys fault. Imagine an owner that fires a coach after winning back to back SBs.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The buck always stops with Jerry.

He alone can make any personnel or coaching changes any time he wants without consulting a single person. He has the authority and resources to do whatever he wants within the rules. So everything falls on him. Players and coaches will fail, keeping them is the biggest failure.

Dre11

Reaction score
it amazes me how lucky you can be to be called successful, and how unlucky you can be to be called unsuccessful. I posted this before. what if Romo doesn't bobble the slick football, or makes it to the end zone, and they're able to win the next game and make it to the championship game, would Jerry be looked at differently? what if Dez catch is upheld, or what if they stop Rodgers on 3rd and 21 and win that game in ot and possibly get to the Superbowl? how does that change the narrative on Jerry and Garrett?

Kaiser

Reaction score
it amazes me how lucky you can be to be called successful, and how unlucky you can be to be called unsuccessful. I posted this before. what if Romo doesn't bobble the slick football, or makes it to the end zone, and they're able to win the next game and make it to the championship game, would Jerry be looked at differently? what if Dez catch is upheld, or what if they stop Rodgers on 3rd and 21 and win that game in ot and possibly get to the Superbowl? how does that change the narrative on Jerry and Garrett?

Totally agree. At the end of the day there is no sure thing and the job of the front office is to field a Super Bowl Caliber team, not guarantee one. They have had that level of talent in the last six seasons, plus some in the decade before that.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Who is MORE responsible....
  • The gun or the man firing it?
  • The car or the person driving it?
  • The puppet or the puppeteer?
  • The soldier fighting in a losing battle or the general who drew up the plans?
  • Food or the fat man eating it?
  • Alcohol or the drunk?
  • The dog who escaped the yard and bites someone or the owner who neglected the fence?
MOST importantly....who is more responsible for the Cowboys near quarter century lack of playoff success?
  • Is it the 5 head coaches in the last 24 years, or the ONE owner/President/GM/Chief Jock officer who is most responsible?
There is no one but Jerral Wayne Jones to place responsibility on for any of results this team has had.
As long as he also gets credit the 3 Super Bowl wins too.
Can't randomly or selectively change the rules

Though I don't fully agree with your logic as it applies to a 45 man team, if we're going to be fair and honest about it, we have to apply it both ways.

But it's flawed...imo.
Kraft does not get more credit than Belichick and Brady for all the Patriot SB wins (or losses) either...btw.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The problem is not gaining the understanding the cleat, cleats situation, understanding of the players situation, understanding of jocks and socks as Jerry Dumbo GM Jones at the 0:01:25 mark of this video explains in this video.

Do you REALLY think Jerry Jones is a dumbo?

The man has more business AND more football experience than 99% of this forum.

Kaiser

Reaction score

Oh yeah? Well how many posts does Jerry have here???

People also forget what a massive gamble it was for Jerry to buy the team in the first place. He not only pulled it out of the skids, he turned it around.

If you remember back to the Herschel Walker trade, a big chunk of the news articles were about how Minnesota fleeced those hillbillies in Dallas.

starfan1

Reaction score

yep luck hasn't been our best friend always and i do think those things could have definitely changed the narrative. but as I've been told about ifs. "if my Aunt had balls she'd be my Uncle' or 'If ifs and buts were candy and nuts wed all have a merry Christmas".

How many other teams have ifs that their fans could come up with. what if Seattle runs Lynch instead of trying to pass. or what if the the receiver on the titans could have extended 1 more yard. (that one may be a stretch) you get the gist

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess you can’t control something like a key player like Sean Lee getting hurt—over and over again. But if as the owner you say that you are in charge of everything from Socks to jocks and the blame for everything lies fully on you
That was my original thought, but even then it is the job of the GM to not let the problem linger any longer than is reasonable. With someone like Lee you give some latitude - too good a player to not give every chance - but at some point if the problem persists you have to make some choices, such as drafting young guys like LVE, so you aren't as dependent on that player.

Dre11

Reaction score
yep luck hasn't been our best friend always and i do think those things could have definitely changed the narrative. but as I've been told about ifs. "if my Aunt had balls she'd be my Uncle' or 'If ifs and buts were candy and nuts wed all have a merry Christmas".

How many other teams have ifs that their fans could come up with. what if Seattle runs Lynch instead of trying to pass. or what if the the receiver on the titans could have extended 1 more yard. (that one may be a stretch) you get the gist

that's my point, it's not so much someone always has to be at fault, fans always look for someone to blame but maybe sometimes it's just not your time yet. look at some of those teams that's never won anything, all of their coaches and ownership hasn't been bad all these years, they just hadn't broke through.

kskboys

Reaction score
The notion that "Jerry doesn't want to win; he only wants money" is absurd. Winning is the best way to make money.

Now, you can argue that Jerry doesn't know how to win, and that would be a fair argument. But the notion that Jerry doesn't want to win is completely ridiculous on its face.
No, it's not. Jerry does know how to win. He refuses to do what it takes. Which is let someone else make personnel decisions and hire a legit NFL quality HC. So, Jerry doesn't want to win, he wants to be acknowledged as a football guy.

kskboys

Reaction score
Do you REALLY think Jerry Jones is a dumbo?

Business genius.

Football dummy.

He has seriously gone out of his way to prove both to be true.

kskboys

Reaction score
That was my original thought, but even then it is the job of the GM to not let the problem linger any longer than is reasonable. With someone like Lee you give some latitude - too good a player to not give every chance - but at some point if the problem persists you have to make some choices, such as drafting young guys like LVE, so you aren't as dependent on that player.
Lee was highly injury prone coming out. He was yet another one of Jerry's taking a sliding player, he was just one of the few that worked out OK. Would have worked out great if his injury prone ways had not followed him to the NFL. They did.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Fans and local media for not making enough of a stink to run losers like Garrett out of town and force Jerry's hand.
Fans at home games contribute.
I fly in for a few home games a year, and its rather depressing when I look around and see our home crowd staring at their cell phones, laughing, talking and not really engaged with what is really going on.. not the loudest or most astute crowd.
Home field advantage is a rowdy loud crowd, too many corporate based ticket holders.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Business genius.

Football dummy.

He has seriously gone out of his way to prove both to be true.
The guy was college football captain on a Sugar Bowl champion team.
Im guessing that is more than 99% of the Cowboyszone
Hes been around football his entire life and has worked directly with some of the best coaches of all time.
Im guessing that-too is more than 99% of the Cowboyszone

He is not nor ever has been a football dummy.

If someone wants to argue that as owner he should've gotten someone else to take over as GM earlier than he did, I-would not disagree.
As of now, I consider Stephen and Will Clay to be more GMs than him.