What longterm Cowboys problems aren’t the fault of Jerry or Garrett?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The notion that "Jerry doesn't want to win; he only wants money" is absurd. Winning is the best way to make money.

Now, you can argue that Jerry doesn't know how to win, and that would be a fair argument. But the notion that Jerry doesn't want to win is completely ridiculous on its face.
I disagree. Yes, Jerry wants to win, but he has consistently shown doesn’t want to win bad enough to do what it takes to win. Which includes stopping some of his overreach into areas he needs to leave alone. Until he learns to back off, I’m not convinced he wants to win as bad as he could.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The guy was college football captain on a Sugar Bowl champion team.
Im guessing that is more than 99% of the Cowboyszone
Hes been around football his entire life and has worked directly with some of the best coaches of all time.
Im guessing that-too is more than 99% of the Cowboyszone

He is not nor ever has been a football dummy.

If someone wants to argue that as owner he should've gotten someone else to take over as GM earlier than he did, I-would not disagree.
As of now, I consider Stephen and Will Clay to be more GMs than him.

Say what you want and Jerry is a smart man, but he simply doesn't get it when it comes to many things football. Coaching being one of them. The problem is that he thinks he can apply things that have worked in him running every other operation into running a football organization. With him in charge and overseeing everything. Instead of hiring the right people, football people, to run the product on the field.

I have been around a lot of smart people in my life and most of the time they are smart in certain areas, but really dumb in others. Some are great at business, but make bad decisions in their personal life. Some are book smart, but have no common sense. Its all over the map to be honest.

Jerry, after Jimmy pretty much thought that he could just get one guy to run the offense, one guy to run the defense, and he would oversee everything else. The "HC" was simply a title or figurehead to run the day to day stuff and talk to the media and organize. That's why he hired Garrett because he thought he was good at that.

He doesn't understand that you really need an experienced, HC that can run every part of your football team and command the room and has the respect of everyone and power over them.

And the franchise has been mediocre because of it.

johneric8

Reaction score
Of course it starts with Jerry, but nothing IS going to change the fact that Garrett was a horrible coach that is all on Garrett. Sure Jerry hired him, but Garrett floundered in every way possible.

kskboys

Reaction score
I disagree. Yes, Jerry wants to win, but he has consistently shown doesn’t want to win bad enough to do what it takes to win. Which includes stopping some of his overreach into areas he needs to leave alone. Until he learns to back off, I’m not convinced he wants to win as bad as he could.
When someone refuses to do what he knows it takes to win, then just how badly does he want to win? Jerry wants validation. He has proven beyond any doubt that winning is not his top priority, and he'd rather do whatever he wants than win.

Don't forget, Jerry has admitted that he's a bad GM. If a team owner employs a terrible GM, and refuses to fire that bad GM, then how can anyone claim that he wants to win?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Of course it starts with Jerry, but nothing IS going to change the fact that Garrett was a horrible coach that is all on Garrett. Sure Jerry hired him, but Garrett floundered in every way possible.
And it took Jerry a decade to figure out Garrett wasn’t a good HC? Jerry kept him employed way past the time when most organizations would have. Head coaches who have big success in the NFL almost always have it within their first 5 years with a team.

So in the end, who’s more responsible for Garrett’s time here? The employee or the boss who kept him year after year?

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I guess you can’t control something like a key player like Sean Lee getting hurt—over and over again. But if as the owner you say that you are in charge of everything from Socks to jocks and the blame for everything lies fully on you
You can't control it but when every second round draft pick is either an injury concern or a drug addict you are increasing the odds that they do not produce. This is a massive issue with this team. The GM is a drunk and a gambling addict. He rolls the dice every year looking for the lottery ticket instead of building a solid environment that can compete every year.

johneric8

Reaction score
And it took Jerry a decade to figure out Garrett wasn’t a good HC? Jerry kept him employed way past the time when most organizations would have. Head coaches who have big success in the NFL almost always have it within their first 5 years with a team.

So in the end, who’s more responsible for Garrett’s time here? The employee or the boss who kept him year after year?
I agree with you 100%, but say Jerry got lucky and Garrett ended up being a great coach. Jerry would of gotten credit for that just as he does when the coach fails. All I'm saying is Garrett's lack of coaching experience and ability did cost us as well so there is blame that can be spread around. Every GM hires coaching candidates with the best intentions in mind obviously and most of them fail to make good hires because there are many great ones around.. Jerry has been horrible and so was Jason.

kskboys

Reaction score

Not to mention that Jerry completely ignored the multiple signs that JG wasn't doing well as HC. Or rather wasn't football saavy enough to even see them.

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree with you 100%, but say Jerry got lucky and Garrett ended up being a great coach. Jerry would of gotten credit for that just as he does when the coach fails. All I'm saying is Garrett's lack of coaching experience and ability did cost us as well so there is blame that can be spread around. Every GM hires coaching candidates with the best intentions in mind obviously and most of them fail to make good hires because there are many great ones around.. Jerry has been horrible and so was Jason.
Jason had not shown any signs at all that he would be a good HC. Promoting him prematurely was terrible GMing.

stiletto

Reaction score
every single problem the cowboys have and had is jerrys fault to some level.

as jerry himself said “he’s never not made the ultimate decision” so he gets all the blame

I actually agree with this in principle. If you really own it, take ownership of it OR die.... no excuses. I have 0 sympathy for Jerry Jones and his cushy but LOSER lifestyle. He is the actual Beverly Hillbilly.

Brax

Reaction score
Who is MORE responsible....
  • The gun or the man firing it?
  • The car or the person driving it?
  • The puppet or the puppeteer?
  • The soldier fighting in a losing battle or the general who drew up the plans?
  • Food or the fat man eating it?
  • Alcohol or the drunk?
  • The dog who escaped the yard and bites someone or the owner who neglected the fence?
MOST importantly....who is more responsible for the Cowboys near quarter century lack of playoff success?
  • Is it the 5 head coaches in the last 24 years, or the ONE owner/President/GM/Chief Jock officer who is most responsible?
There is no one but Jerral Wayne Jones to place responsibility on for any of results this team has had.
Jerry, Jerry and Jerry you are correct and it will not change anytime soon.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who is MORE responsible....
  • The gun or the man firing it?
  • The car or the person driving it?
  • The puppet or the puppeteer?
  • The soldier fighting in a losing battle or the general who drew up the plans?
  • Food or the fat man eating it?
  • Alcohol or the drunk?
  • The dog who escaped the yard and bites someone or the owner who neglected the fence?
MOST importantly....who is more responsible for the Cowboys near quarter century lack of playoff success?
  • Is it the 5 head coaches in the last 24 years, or the ONE owner/President/GM/Chief Jock officer who is most responsible?
There is no one but Jerral Wayne Jones to place responsibility on for any of results this team has had.

"Both!"

200w.gif