What Makes a Team "Built to Win" in the Playoffs

MyFairLady

Reaction score
the only problem with this theory is GB wasn't better
IMHO it is statements like this that are the problem. They are the problem in that you are hiding from the truth. Green bay was so much better than us in every single way. We can never get better unless we are first able to accept the truth about ourselves.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Lots of good answers. Let me add a thought.

Building for something other than regular season wins & platitudes. This entire organization can't seem to understand those things matter very little. We never seem to get better past mid season. Everyone seems to be happy with where we are and think it is good enough for the post season. I would say most teams that actually have post season success are playing at a completely different level at the end of the year than they were earlier.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
IMHO it is statements like this that are the problem. They are the problem in that you are hiding from the truth. Green bay was so much better than us in every single way. We can never get better unless we are first able to accept the truth about ourselves.
The players were not better, they played better MUCH better..they were not SF..they are better. The truth is the players/ coaches flopped again, Detroit is not better but look where they are... we have holes for sure and we never address them..but so did GB we just didnt attack them at all.

Mikexike

Reaction score
Over the last 3 seasons, Dallas has had more regular season wins (36) than another other team aside from the Chiefs (37).

This team has led the league in scoring multiple times in the span, fielded a top-5 scoring defense, had league leaders in TDs, yards, has at least a few blue chip players on either side of the ball, but continues to fall flat in the playoffs.

This is what is so truly confusing about about this team.

Their regular season performance is among the best, but they just cannot beat good teams regularly. This narrative is only partially true though since this year they did beat Philly, LA, and Detroit, all of whom were playoff teams (but each of these wins was either the result of a good bit of fortune, or catching the other team in a slump).

They can stack up wins better than anyone, but for whatever reason when the playoffs come around, they are totally punchless. I don't get it.

A good example I can think of in other sports would be a team like the 2014 Atlanta Hawks (60-22). Regular season wood chippers, but when your go to guy is Al Horford, you probably aren't going to win big in the playoffs and that is exactly what happened. The 2009-2013 Denver Nuggets are another great case study. Won 50+ games in three of four seasons during that stretch but never made it out of the first found of the playoffs. Their best players were Ty Lawson and Kenneth Faried.

If you want an NFL example, I present to you the 2013-2017 Cheifs. They averaged over 10 wins in that 5 year span, but could never advance past the divisional or WC round.

I believe Dallas is in a similar situation to these teams. They can win in the regular season, but are unable to close out games against tough opponents when it is win or go home. What we all should be asking, is why?

The question I have for you is this: What traits do you think makes a team "built to win" in the playoffs in the modern NFL?
#1 problem is the guy handling the football... I'm assuming 2013-17 chiefs was Alex smith handling it.

Swagger

Reaction score
yeah they didnt have Dak the 20 years before..it worked very well..next theory? I'll give you one thing your ability to overlook the 28 year problem on this team for your focal point is amazing....
The majority of those teams were not as good as the Cowboys' roster in 2016, this season and the previous two before that.

It's just lazy to blame Jerry for every season. He put together some poor rosters with Romo under centre - particularly on the defensive side and the O line.

But the front office has largely done a very good job in putting together the roster over the last three seasons excluding the QB position.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
A team with no talent defense doesn't finish the year 5th in yards against and 5th in points allowed. It just doesn't happen.

Dallas has the talent on both sides of the ball. Every list, poll, or opinion of anyone outside of the fanbase says this.

In the playoffs Dallas wilts under pressure. They don't execute. They are not mentally ready for the challenge.

The playoffs are more mental. The teams are all good. What separates the winners from the losers is a very slim margin. Those with the mental will and fortitude move on. Those that don't have it go home..
In today's NFL I think they can. Unfortunately, I think about 2/3 to 3/4's of the league just aren't very good top to bottom teams. I think we have been fortunate the last few years to be one of the teams whose overall talent is at the higher end of the scale. If you have a talent advantage and can avoid big mistakes, you can win a lot of games. In doing so, you are also likely to be ahead & making the other team play more one dimensionally. Our defensive talent is geared to that. Stopping a well balanced opponent by being strong in the trenches & having a dawg mentality isn't our forte.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
The majority of those teams were not as good as the Cowboys' roster in 2016, this season and the previous two before that.

It's just lazy to blame Jerry for every season. He put together some poor rosters with Romo under centre - particularly on the defensive side and the O line.

But the front office has largely done a very good job in putting together the roster over the last three seasons excluding the QB position.
the QB was just in the MVP running...again name me the great playoff players on this team..this argument cracks me up "Daks regular season is BS because he flops in the playoffs"..."Micah had a great season and just had a bad playoff game" ..hmm one is 2nd-3rd in DPOY one is 2nd MVP BOTH flopped in this playoff game...why is only one of them a poser?

Big_D

Reaction score
Small ball. Be able to play methodical, fundamental, physical football. Run the ball efficiently, win the LOS, move the chains, stop the run, etc etc It's the same thing it's always been.. but people rather just credit the QB and then pay them 70 percent of the cap.

75boyz

Reaction score
Quarterbacking, mental/physical toughness, coaching and discipline.

Funny we seem to be lacking in all areas.

kskboys

Reaction score

And the DT, LB, and FS position.

kskboys

Reaction score
So, the process now it just to proclaim that we have alllllll this talent. And if we say it enough, we'll start believing it? Right?

kskboys

Reaction score
Well of course there are always going to be exceptions. My point though was really that you need to be at least average in all major areas (Run D, Pass D, Run O, Pass O) or you're going to get exposed in the post season more often than not. Being above average or elite in one area helps mask a issue in another, however playing in the postseason and having to go 3-5 games straight against quality teams makes that difficult.
Good stuff!!!!!!!!!!!

One dimensional teams just don't have much playoff success, I completely agree.

kskboys

Reaction score
A team with no talent defense doesn't finish the year 5th in yards against and 5th in points allowed. It just doesn't happen.

Dallas has the talent on both sides of the ball. Every list, poll, or opinion of anyone outside of the fanbase says this.

In the playoffs Dallas wilts under pressure. They don't execute. They are not mentally ready for the challenge.

The playoffs are more mental. The teams are all good. What separates the winners from the losers is a very slim margin. Those with the mental will and fortitude move on. Those that don't have it go home..
Do they? Let's see, look at the positions:

NT: below average
UT: Below average
DLaw: Great at run stopping, mediocre at pass rush
Parsons: Great at pass rushing, negative at run stopping
MLB: Very bad. MLB is passabel w/ LVE
OLB: Very bad
OLB: Very bad
SS: Decent
FS: Subpar
CB1: Good w/ Diggs, just ok w/ Gilmore
CB2: Good for TO's but got beat a bit too much

Looks to me like we have gaping holes. GB thinks so.

kwcool619

Reaction score
I would offer the following 10 things off the top of my head:

1. The QB. You can see it every year it is always the same QBs that appear over and over again. You can have a 60 million dollar QB but he has to play like it.
2. Depth. All teams sustain injuries and must fill in spots along the way. Good teams do not feel like the season is lost if someone is hurt. Roster sports are valuable. Good teams do not rely on injury prone players to be key contributors.
3. Focus: Good teams have a focus on winning. They are not concerned about brand image or brand development. They come to work and act like professionals. Social media is not the driving force.
4. Unity: Good teams are united and have a trust and a belief in each other. They do not "run to Daddy" they resolve issues like adults.
5. Accountability: Good teams are held accountable and more importantly hold each other accountable. Roster spots should be earned on a week to week basis.
6. Leadership: Good teams have quality leadership usually coming from the best and highest paid players on the team setting the example.
7. Value: The salary cap is real. You need players to exceed their contracts. No team has ever won that in hind sight have a pile of "overpaid" players at the top.
8. Physicality: To advance in the playoffs you need to be prepared to battle for every yard.
9. Youth and Hunger: These can go hand in hand but do not necessarily. It may not be promoted as such but the league is dominated by young and hungry players.
10. Legacy: Does the player actual care about the game and their legacy within it. Is it all about maximizing the bag?

I can list you decision after decision made by the front office of this team that completely ignores everything I have listed above.
You described a Championship culture. This is badly missing.

kevm3

Reaction score
Front office and coaching unless you just have a super talented team stacked at every position

Nexx

Reaction score
how about beating some good teams in the regular season to build up some confidence.. oh wait, our QB cant handle that..

kskboys

Reaction score
how about beating some good teams in the regular season to build up some confidence.. oh wait, our QB cant handle that..
Obviously, but we're past that w/ this discussion. We're talking about what it takes to beat good teams.