What Makes a Team "Built to Win" in the Playoffs

btgboys41

Reaction score
Seems almost if not every team that has success has an identity. Their identity gets forged from offseason to post season and there’s no deviation. We know what all the remaining teams left are about. They know too and they work tirelessly at making that identity stick.

Dallas and its moronic coach started the year proclaiming the commitment to running and controlling the game. Clearly, they did not commit to forging that identity.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Really it comes down to there are 5 aspects of football....

Specials teams play
Run defense
Pass defense
Run offense
Pass offense

The more areas that you're deficient in the higher the probability that you're going to run into a team along the way in the post season that is build to beat you. If you're bad in more than one of those areas you are at a significant disadvantage of actually stringing together wins in the post season.

The Cowboys this year were vulnerable in the run game on both sides of the ball. If you're going to be vulnerable in two areas you need to be elite in the other two.
This right here might be the most straight forward way to put it. A team that can win it all needs to be able to compete in all 5 phases of the game, because in the playoffs you are likely to run into opponents that do at least one thing exceptionally well, and if that thing is running the ball and you can’t stop the run at all, things can get really ugly. Same goes for any of the other related phases.

Dallas couldn’t run or stop the run this year and it ended up being their downfall. Being made one dimensional on either side of the ball makes it too easy for other teams to take what you do best completely off the table.

Blue64

Reaction score
I agree with most of your observations, but the difference is in the players who want a championship (Mahomes, Allen etc…) and a player who says he bought Louis Vitton bags cause the LV reminds him of the site of the SB.

It takes a FO who brings in FA’s to improve not FA’s that are cheap and most at the end of their careers.
SF picked up players at the trade deadline while Jerry announced that we are fine with the team we have.

Every fan of this team knew the team had glaring needs that needed to be addressed and they were not.

Now after another disappointing season this teams fans are all making points on how to improve this team. When everyone knows it will be the same next year and the year after that.

This team will NEVER get to another championship game unless the FO steps down and hires a real GM.

Yeah we were 12-5 the last few seasons but I still see the Chiefs in the championship game…

MikeyJones214

Reaction score
the QB was just in the MVP running...again name me the great playoff players on this team..this argument cracks me up "Daks regular season is BS because he flops in the playoffs"..."Micah had a great season and just had a bad playoff game" ..hmm one is 2nd-3rd in DPOY one is 2nd MVP BOTH flopped in this playoff game...why is only one of them a poser?
LOL

Quick, someone get Carson Wentz on this team I heard he was once the top MVP candidate LOL

If you watch a random Cowboys game this season, you don't come out thinking Dak is the best player on the team... Heck, he might not even be the best player on the offense (Lamb,Martin,Smith)

Dak will never be an MVP wihle players like Patrick Mahomes and Lamar Jackson exist.

Dak is what he is... An Alex Smith/ Andy Dalton clone.

Before you start spitting out stats, we all watched his 400 yard 4TD game against the commanders week 18, at this point, no one cares because we know he will turn into deer eyed Dak against actual competition

MyFairLady

Reaction score
The players were not better, they played better MUCH better..they were not SF..they are better.
You could be right we will never know. All I can say for certain is that I watched two teams play and by half time it was pretty clear to me that there was no way that the Cowboys could compete against Green Bay. No amount of luck, no amount of planning, no amount of adjustments was going to change the outcome of that game. You need to start giving Green Bay some credit and you need to start seeing some of the Dallas players with more clarity. Man to man they were better than us at every single position on the field. They had to take out their starters or they would have beaten us by 70 points. Their players are better. There can be no mistake.

kskboys

Reaction score
Seems almost if not every team that has success has an identity. Their identity gets forged from offseason to post season and there’s no deviation. We know what all the remaining teams left are about. They know too and they work tirelessly at making that identity stick.

Dallas and its moronic coach started the year proclaiming the commitment to running and controlling the game. Clearly, they did not commit to forging that identity.
They never had the RB to do so. If they think they did, the whole schmear of a FO/Coaching staff just needs to be fired.

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree with most of your observations, but the difference is in the players who want a championship (Mahomes, Allen etc…) and a player who says he bought Louis Vitton bags cause the LV reminds him of the site of the SB.

It takes a FO who brings in FA’s to improve not FA’s that are cheap and most at the end of their careers.
SF picked up players at the trade deadline while Jerry announced that we are fine with the team we have.

Every fan of this team knew the team had glaring needs that needed to be addressed and they were not.

Now after another disappointing season this teams fans are all making points on how to improve this team. When everyone knows it will be the same next year and the year after that.

This team will NEVER get to another championship game unless the FO steps down and hires a real GM.

Yeah we were 12-5 the last few seasons but I still see the Chiefs in the championship game…
Yeah, Jerry will talk about improvements, but then a shiny new WR will hit the headlights and the D simply goes out the window again.

kskboys

Reaction score
This right here might be the most straight forward way to put it. A team that can win it all needs to be able to compete in all 5 phases of the game, because in the playoffs you are likely to run into opponents that do at least one thing exceptionally well, and if that thing is running the ball and you can’t stop the run at all, things can get really ugly. Same goes for any of the other related phases.

Dallas couldn’t run or stop the run this year and it ended up being their downfall. Being made one dimensional on either side of the ball makes it too easy for other teams to take what you do best completely off the table.
Yup.

You know those O minded Chiefs? Funny thing, they draft DL's early and often. And if one doesn't work out? Move on and draft some more. Why? Because out of all the changes in the NFL, there is one saying that is true now more than ever: This game is won in the trenches.

Sure, there are exceptions, but the majority of the time the teams in the championship games are the teams who draft OL's and DL's early and often. Instead of taking injured players and projects in rounds 2-7, they often take DL's.

And guess who is in the Champ game again despite a myriad of issues at receiver? Yup, the Chiefs. Why? Doesn't hurt to have the best QB in the game, but here's a little known fact: Chiefs were 2nd on D in 2023. They have the best QB in the D, but concentrate a ton of resources on D. We should take note.

McCarthyMustGo

Reaction score
If you ever asked Jerry and Stephen to show you their plan what do you think they would say? If you asked them their mission statement and core values what would they say? If you asked them for their decision making policies what do you think they would say? I guarantee you it would be horrifying. They would have nothing to offer. Just stupid buzz words and meaningless drivel.
It would be more about making money for the franchise.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Tough run game/oline and nasty defense especially a tough to run on defense. Uh kinda like the Baltimore ravens and SF

Creeper

Reaction score
I think the main thing is attitude. Look at the teams left in the playoffs. Baltimore, KC, SF and the Lions. They all have attitude. They don't think they are good, they know they are good. Perhaps Detroit is the outlier but let's see what happens this weekend.