What makes someone love Dak while hating Romo, or vice versa?

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Very few people "hate" any player much less one on their favorite team. That's just a convenient word for the blame crowd when you disagree with them.

If I "loved" Romo more than any other good player, it was largely out of circumstance. We had been so deficient at the position since Troy and this undrafted guy fights his way into the position & simply lights up the league with electric plays.

I was a supporter & defender of Dak when he was drafted. Felt he could become a good backup or low end starter. Was happy & amazed by his rookie performance. But as time has gone on his deficiencies as a passer have been put on display many times.

I'm simply grading each player like I do at any other position. Tony wasn't perfect but I always felt like we had a chance and that he was always trying to win the game even if it meant taking chances. It should be obvious now that he is announcing just how much time he has put into understanding the game and how he was a mental asset on the field.

Each game with Dak, I'm apprehensive about how he will perform that particular day and is he mostly trying not to lose the game. I'm more afraid of his weaknesses than I am confident of his strengths. No where near hate.

I do however hate when he has a terrible game and the rabid supporters attack everyone who dares bring up the obvious.

Brax

Reaction score
One gets too much credit and the other gets to little credit. One was groomed and did not deliver and one was thrown to the wolves as a rookie and excelled with more playoff appearances and equal the wins in less the years. One was the reason for many NFC East/Playoff game clinging loses and a playoff lost. The other has been the reason for one NFC East/Playoff game clinging lost (Seattle 2017). One was criticized for not putting the time in during the off season and before a playoff game and the other puts in the time during the off season but was criticized for putting time in during a pandemic. One was coddled with no competition at QB until a rookie was drafted in the 4th round of 2016 draft. The other has meet competition challenges winning the starting job from 3rd string in high school, 3rd string in college, and 3rd string the NFL. One has fans using revisionist His-story that are not facts consistently and constantly. The Other has fans using true historical facts that are ignored consistently and constantly.

End of Discussion!
Talk about revisionist history, this is the laugh of the day. Why do people do this????

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I supported Romo when he played. He retired and that's the moment it was time to let it go. Pretty simple.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Better question is how did Dak keep the starting job........
By being part of winning games. The staff and most likely players would much rather roll with the winning of games. That put Romo into retirement.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
your truth is to twisted keep it to yourself.....
l41-Yjf-MKLBMz-Awdu-E.gif

Brax

Reaction score
By being part of winning games. The staff and most likely players would much rather roll with the winning of games. That put Romo into retirement.
Your take is so incorrect , He got the job by injury default, he kept it because Jerry saw $$$ savings and the job was handed to Dak and then Dak was coddled with zero competition which is why Romo was cut so not to bruise Daks feelings, also because the HC had a lot lower football IQ than the QB and JG ensured the job was handed to Dak, just remember low HC football IQ is also why MM had problems with Rodgers , that will not be a problem with Dak and MM . I never believed Romo should of received the 2013 extension because of the injuries, and I fully believed that Dak in 2016 earned the right to play out the string in 2016 but by closing the door to any type of competition at the QB position in 2017 and beyond was a great disservice to the team as Dak became the ultimate pet cat.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Note: I don't want this to be the 500th edition of "Dak sucks" or "Romo sucks." Let's keep this one different - let's stay on topic, focused, and not stray into the usual same-old same-old arguments we've had elsewhere for years.

There are many Cowboys fans who love both Romo and Dak. There are also a few who, for some reason, hate both Romo and Dak. Okay, that's fine - at least they're consistent.

What puzzles me is fans who love Romo while hating Dak, or love Dak while hating Romo.

Because, from a purely objective standpoint, both players were quite similar. They both have a 1:2 ratio of playoff wins to losses, for instance. They were usually good enough to put the Cowboys in playoff contention every single December, even if not getting them in outright. They both made plays with their arms and legs, they had times when they were let down by shoddy defense or a bad O-line, they were both players of good character, etc. They both had good touchdown-to-interception ratios. They are both Pro Bowl level quarterbacks that the Cowboys were lucky to stumble into (one was a 4th-round pick, one was undrafted.)

In fact, I bet I could get some stats for both players - passing stats, win-to-loss ratio, etc. - and Cowboys Zoners wouldn't be able to readily guess which belonged to Romo and which belonged to Dak.

Yet - over the past few years - we've seen a stunning turnaround. The exact same posters here who criticized Romo, "It's wins that count, not stats" - now suddenly defend Dak by touting his stats and also saying, "A quarterback can't win by himself, it's a team game." And the exact same posters who defended Romo by saying "a quarterback can't win by himself" suddenly now criticize Dak "it's wins that count, not stats."

What gives? It's a strange, bizarre, hypocrisy.

They are just trolls. It was the same way with Romo. You had trolls that just hate and don't get it.

Guys are completely different, but thus far in their careers they are almost identical in both team success and statistics individually. And both guys had Garrett.

Both QB's were plenty good enough and franchise QB's somewhere in the 6-9 range. Not elite, but next tier.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Jameis Winston had 5000 yards and he is most definitely a bus driver.

Besides, I said "feels like", and "to me".

Winston is 100% the opposite of a bus driver. Winston is a gunslinger. There is nothing bus driver about him.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Your take is so incorrect , He got the job by injury default, he kept it because Jerry saw $$$ savings and the job was handed to Dak and then Dak was coddled with zero competition which is why Romo was cut so not to bruise Daks feelings, also because the HC had a lot lower football IQ than the QB and JG ensured the job was handed to Dak, just remember low HC football IQ is also why MM had problems with Rodgers , that will not be a problem with Dak and MM . I never believed Romo should of received the 2013 extension because of the injuries, and I fully believed that Dak in 2016 earned the right to play out the string in 2016 but by closing the door to any type of competition at the QB position in 2017 and beyond was a great disservice to the team as Dak became the ultimate pet cat.
One of the worst takes I've read. Seriously. Players want the guy who's winning and can stay on the field. Romo eventually couldn't do either. And he retired. Otherwise he would have continued to play. Time to let it go.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Better question is how did Dak keep the starting job........

Not really. This is the comment I was replying to: "One was coddled with no competition at QB until a rookie was drafted in the 4th round of 2016 draft. The other has meet competition challenges winning the starting job from 3rd string in high school, 3rd string in college, and 3rd string the NFL."

Dak was handed the job when Romo got injured. There was never any real competition for the job either before or after that point. There are enough narratives to this stupid argument without fabricating lies or nonsense.

morat1959

Reaction score
I think you are wrong. Both are Good but note Elite Quarterbacks, who had/have the potential to be more.
We’ll agree to disagree. My opinion on Dak is based on watching him play for many years and he still struggles with the same issues he’s always had.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Note: I don't want this to be the 500th edition of "Dak sucks" or "Romo sucks." Let's keep this one different - let's stay on topic, focused, and not stray into the usual same-old same-old arguments we've had elsewhere for years.

There are many Cowboys fans who love both Romo and Dak. There are also a few who, for some reason, hate both Romo and Dak. Okay, that's fine - at least they're consistent.

What puzzles me is fans who love Romo while hating Dak, or love Dak while hating Romo.

Because, from a purely objective standpoint, both players were quite similar. They both have a 1:2 ratio of playoff wins to losses, for instance. They were usually good enough to put the Cowboys in playoff contention every single December, even if not getting them in outright. They both made plays with their arms and legs, they had times when they were let down by shoddy defense or a bad O-line, they were both players of good character, etc. They both had good touchdown-to-interception ratios. They are both Pro Bowl level quarterbacks that the Cowboys were lucky to stumble into (one was a 4th-round pick, one was undrafted.)

In fact, I bet I could get some stats for both players - passing stats, win-to-loss ratio, etc. - and Cowboys Zoners wouldn't be able to readily guess which belonged to Romo and which belonged to Dak.

Yet - over the past few years - we've seen a stunning turnaround. The exact same posters here who criticized Romo, "It's wins that count, not stats" - now suddenly defend Dak by touting his stats and also saying, "A quarterback can't win by himself, it's a team game." And the exact same posters who defended Romo by saying "a quarterback can't win by himself" suddenly now criticize Dak "it's wins that count, not stats."

What gives? It's a strange, bizarre, hypocrisy.

The answer is a controversial subject.