What makes someone love Dak while hating Romo, or vice versa?

InTheZone

Reaction score
There's going to ve a magnitude of answers. Some view qb abilities differently, some take to liking the persona of one or the other, some like one or dislike the other for racial reasons, some have different perceptions of said player.

There's not going to be a clearcut answer. Most people probably don't hate one or the other.

I dislike Dak for his QB ability. Some will immediately "hate" this response because they don't see the same issues as I do. They will argue tooth and nail about stats, or make an argument I watch specific people online or on tv for validation when I do none of that. My opinion stems from what I see on gameday, nothing more, nothing less. Do I think Dak sucks, no. I also view many other QBs as overrated and the more I hear about Dak rejecting nice offers its only going to push me in the "dump Dak camp".

It also doesn't help when I see blame directed at so many others but its obvious Dak is protected. The hiring of MM gave me hope he'll provide a fair analysis of Dak and the rest of the team first hand, not based on what we've all seen on tv. However if they pay Dak this year then it destroys a chance for MM and the Cowboys to move on sooner.

morat1959

Reaction score
There's going to ve a magnitude of answers. Some view qb abilities differently, some take to liking the persona of one or the other, some like one or dislike the other for racial reasons, some have different perceptions of said player.

There's not going to be a clearcut answer. Most people probably don't hate one or the other.

I dislike Dak for his QB ability. Some will immediately "hate" this response because they don't see the same issues as I do. They will argue tooth and nail about stats, or make an argument I watch specific people online or on tv for validation when I do none of that. My opinion stems from what I see on gameday, nothing more, nothing less. Do I think Dak sucks, no. I also view many other QBs as overrated and the more I hear about Dak rejecting nice offers its only going to push me in the "dump Dak camp".

It also doesn't help when I see blame directed at so many others but its obvious Dak is protected. The hiring of MM gave me hope he'll provide a fair analysis of Dak and the rest of the team first hand, not based on what we've all seen on tv. However if they pay Dak this year then it destroys a chance for MM and the Cowboys to move on sooner.
Wish I had posted this. It explains how I feel to a tee. I really wanted Dak to succeed. He’s a home boy. That being said, my allegiance is to the Boys first and getting back to another SB. Like you, I feel signing Dak to a long term deal will further set us back. Just my 2 cents....

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I try not to get too wrapped up in complaining about either guy now. They’re two very different QBs

I used to criticize Romo a lot. Probably more than I criticize Dak now.

But I think I go easier on Dak now because I’ve just learned to appreciate what we have after Romo was gone.

Neither guy is or was perfect, but you can win with both IMO.

We just never put either guy on a team designed to win in the playoffs. (ie: strong defense), and we never gave either guy a good hc.

Valkyr

Reaction score
Neither one has won anything of note, so I don't get having great emotion about either one, really.

If Dak wins a SB, he'll be great, if not, see you later. Keep it moving on to the next guy.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I try not to get too wrapped up in complaining about either guy now. They’re two very different QBs

I used to criticize Romo a lot. Probably more than I criticize Dak now.

But I think I go easier on Dak now because I’ve just learned to appreciate what we have after Romo was gone.

Neither guy is or was perfect, but you can win with both IMO.

We just never put either guy on a team designed to win in the playoffs. (ie: strong defense), and we never gave either guy a good hc.
After Aikman retired to the point we knew Romo was a good QB was a pretty dark point in time. I wish some fans were a little more appreciative of Prescott. It's ridiculously difficult to find QBs.

morat1959

Reaction score
Neither one has won anything of note, so I don't get having great emotion about either one, really.

If Dak wins a SB, he'll be great, if not, see you later. Keep it moving on to the next guy.
The great emotion is based on winning games not SBs. JJ has reduced a lot of fans to this. 25 years weighs heavy! Personally...I’m looking for SBs.

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
For me, with Romo I always felt like they could come back from anything. With Dak, I don't get that feeling. Romo felt dynamic, Dak feels like a bus driver. That's not to say I don't like Dak, I just think he's over-hyped.

I am looking forward to what MM can do with him though.
I agree with this.
Romo was a gunslinger. Dak is a bus driver. I would rather have a great, dynamic passer than a bus driver who struggled to make some throws

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
After Aikman retired to the point we knew Romo was a good QB was a pretty dark point in time. I wish some fans were a little more appreciative of Prescott. It's ridiculously difficult to find QBs.

I for one loved when Anthony Wright would pass for 120 yards in a good game

Reactions: G2

plasticman

Reaction score
For most fans its not about hate. I think it has more to do with player loyalty over team loyalty.

No matter who is out there, he is the starting quarterback on the team we love. It was never about who was better, they never really had the opportunity to compete.

The final decision was based on contract and future potential, it wasnt a knock on Romo, although many fans made it Romo vs Dak.

When you are paying Romo that much and getting results from a 4th rounder with a rookie contract, how can you justify keeping Romo?

Romo isn't going to be forgotten but take it from someone that had to say goodbye to both Staubach and Aikman, that day comes sooner than you think.

Even if Dak turns out to be everything we hope, we will say goodbye to him too in 4-6 years. We'll hate/love the next guy.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Note: I don't want this to be the 500th edition of "Dak sucks" or "Romo sucks." Let's keep this one different - let's stay on topic, focused, and not stray into the usual same-old same-old arguments we've had elsewhere for years.

There are many Cowboys fans who love both Romo and Dak. There are also a few who, for some reason, hate both Romo and Dak. Okay, that's fine - at least they're consistent.

What puzzles me is fans who love Romo while hating Dak, or love Dak while hating Romo.

Because, from a purely objective standpoint, both players were quite similar. They both have a 1:2 ratio of playoff wins to losses, for instance. They were usually good enough to put the Cowboys in playoff contention every single December, even if not getting them in outright. They both made plays with their arms and legs, they had times when they were let down by shoddy defense or a bad O-line, they were both players of good character, etc. They both had good touchdown-to-interception ratios. They are both Pro Bowl level quarterbacks that the Cowboys were lucky to stumble into (one was a 4th-round pick, one was undrafted.)

In fact, I bet I could get some stats for both players - passing stats, win-to-loss ratio, etc. - and Cowboys Zoners wouldn't be able to readily guess which belonged to Romo and which belonged to Dak.

Yet - over the past few years - we've seen a stunning turnaround. The exact same posters here who criticized Romo, "It's wins that count, not stats" - now suddenly defend Dak by touting his stats and also saying, "A quarterback can't win by himself, it's a team game." And the exact same posters who defended Romo by saying "a quarterback can't win by himself" suddenly now criticize Dak "it's wins that count, not stats."

What gives? It's a strange, bizarre, hypocrisy.

When they are/were watching the games I doubt they hate/hated either of them. That only comes out when they want to be "right" on a message board.

If you really do hate the players I'm not sure why you're following the team. That doesn't seem like much fun to me.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
That why none of the people who accuse others of having agenda, can actually say what the agenda is >.>
There are people here from the old board that have a specific agenda. It's just a banned topic but they let it be known before the old place shutdown.

Brax

Reaction score
One of the worst takes I've read. Seriously. Players want the guy who's winning and can stay on the field. Romo eventually couldn't do either. And he retired. Otherwise he would have continued to play. Time to let it go.
Looks like you know nothing of what happened in 2016 and 2017, someday you might understand the why's of it.

Edit to add "know" for the reading challenged.

Last edited:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Looks like you nothing of what happened in 2016 and 2017, someday you might understand the why's of it.
Come back when you can complete sentences. Thanks!

Brax

Reaction score
Not really. This is the comment I was replying to: "One was coddled with no competition at QB until a rookie was drafted in the 4th round of 2016 draft. The other has meet competition challenges winning the starting job from 3rd string in high school, 3rd string in college, and 3rd string the NFL."

Dak was handed the job when Romo got injured. There was never any real competition for the job either before or after that point. There are enough narratives to this stupid argument without fabricating lies or nonsense.
What lies did I fabricate??? The truth is a bitter pill for Dakies to swallow , if you don't believe it fine but just stop with the Dak slant BS.

Brax

Reaction score
Come back when you can complete sentences. Thanks!
When you have nothing just use insults, great come back. Here let me help you out, "Looks like you know nothing ..... Sorry you had such difficulty figuring that out.
I will go edit the post so you can understand it, Sorry your brain couldn't process that.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
When you have nothing just use insults, great come back. Here let me help you out, "Looks like you know nothing ..... Sorry you had such difficulty figuring that out.
I will go edit the post so you can understand it, Sorry your brain couldn't process that.
It's not an insult. I apologize if that's how you took it. I do, however, wish you could see the irony in your posts.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
What lies did I fabricate??? The truth is a bitter pill for Dakies to swallow , if you don't believe it fine but just stop with the Dak slant BS.

Did you make the comment I literally quoted and told you I was responding directly to? No? Then I didn't accuse you of fabricating anything.

Last edited:

texbumthelife

Reaction score
It's not an insult. I apologize if that's how you took it. I do, however, wish you could see the irony in your posts.

Some people come to this board for no other reason than to grind axes. He's trying to fabricate an argument with me, too.