What must Garrett do to get fired?

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Jerry passes away or becomes to inform to perform GM duties, and Stephen promotes Jason to the position thereby creating a coaching vacancy.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
He'll never do it
We can go winless from here and he will find something else to blame other than Jerry or Garrett

Amazing how a guy just cant admit he was dead wrong. Move on. Had the Cowboys won yesterday I would have been on here first thing in the morning eating crow.

visionary

Reaction score
Amazing how a guy just cant admit he was dead wrong. Move on. Had the Cowboys won yesterday I would have been on here first thing in the morning eating crow.

He thinks he knows football
He tied his wagon to Garrett
Calling Garrett out would be admitting he was wrong about Garrett
He will distract but never admit he was wrong about this
Simple

Verdict

Reaction score
Serious question. Not another Garrett SHOULD be fired thread. Want to know what people think on what WOULD cause Jerry to fire him and the staff.

Clearly, another 8-8 season is not going to be enough. Garrett has a built-in excuse: Zeke situation was such a distraction, and then losing him, Lee, Tyron at the same time, was too much.

But I think if the team quits again like it did last night, in one or more games, maybe that's enough for Jerry to see that Garrett has lost the team. Not going to root for the team to quit, but I would not be disappointed if it happened and Garrett was fired as a result.

Probably super tank without permission, or insult/embarass Jerry personally. Otherwise he is probably good for at least one more year.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Without actually doing it, you are apologizing for Garrett. You blame EVERYONE and EVERYTHING BUT Garrett. Garrett sucks. Just admit it and maybe you can salvage your reputation. Continue to champion him as the next great coach and you risk not being taken serious around here for many years to com.

Lol. I literally get 10 'likes' for every one you get, Roy. What makes you think you're the one in a position to be handing out advice about managing a forum reputation?

I've been the lone wolf, or very nearly so, on topics before you were around, dude. I probably will be again after you're gone for good. Terrence Newman. Tony Romo. Mike Zimmer. Patrick Crayton. My batting average turns out to be pretty good in these situations. Regardless, what your'e suggesting is that I say something I don't actually think in order to win friends on the internet. *That's* actually the kind of thing that damages your reputation with people, brother. They see right through that stuff.

And I'll reiterate my stance on Garrett here this season, since it's likely to get washed out by the horde. I thought he made game day mistakes both with not chipping for Green/Bell v. ATL, and for leaving Dak in the second to last drive down by three scores. I think they blew the clock management with the pass play in the red zone v. GB. And more so for snapping that ball with 14 seconds on the clock. I think he makes gameday mistakes fairly regularly, actually, and is only an average gameday head coach in general.

And I think fans overvalue the impact of gameday coaching by a factor of about 10x, because that's all they see and because you have guys like Aikman or Buck who will criticize a coaching decision, so it's an easy trap to fall into.

I do also think they screwed up in putting the roster together this year. Green cannot play swing OT, and we don't have a backup MIKE on the roster. I was vocal about the fact that we blew the chance to address the defense in the draft two years ago, and that's proven to be the case, as well. Yes, we've had some bad luck getting hurt in areas where we're thin, but that's the breaks in the NFL. Yes, the suspension was bull**** and it hurt, but that's no excuse.

So I do blame Garrett for his role--whatever it was--in all of that. I consider him a key player in those decisions, but not the ultimate decision maker. I still think he's one of the best candidates available to the Cowboys who can bring normalcy to the organization, limit Jerry's interference, play nicely with Jerry's ego, keep the players focused, and contribute to drafting well and developing players. That's how I believe teams win in this league, and Jerry is a major hurdle to doing most of that. That isn't going to change anytime soon. So until I see an candidate that I think would be an obvious improvement to Garrett, I'm not changing my tune. No matter what percentage of the forum lines up on the other side.

And honestly, when the people lined up on the other side are primarily you and @visionary, I just don't take the counter arguments seriously. I know that's condescending, but at least it's the truth. There are posters like @Sydla and Beast (and several others but I'm forgetting exactly who right now) who I know vehemently disagree with me, and they present good, reasonable arguments for why that is. I like that, and I like responding to those posts. The stupid personal call-out posts, not so much.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He thinks he knows football
He tied his wagon to Garrett
Calling Garrett out would be admitting he was wrong about Garrett
He will distract but never admit he was wrong about this
Simple

Aha. Case in point.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
It’s baffling why people work themselves up over this. I mean not only did Garrett win Coach of the Year, he literally just won Coach of the Year. It doesn’t mean he’s a good coach, but it does almost certainly lock him in for a long time here.

Here’s the number of years after winning Coach of the Year that the winner stayed on with the team (last 15 years):

2016 Jason Garrett - Still with team
2015 Ron Rivera - Still with team
2014 Bruce Arians - Still with team
2013 Ron Rivera - Still with team
2012 Bruce Arians - left team, not performance related
2011 Jim Harbaugh - 3 years
2010 Bill Belichick - Still with team
2009 Marvin Lewis - Still with team
2008 Mike Smith - 6 years
2007 Bill Belichick - Still with team
2006 Sean Payton - Still with team
2005 Lovie Smith - 7 years
2004 Marty Schottenheimer - 2 years
2003 Bill Belichick - Still with team
2002 Andy Reid - 10 years

So basically you are left to pray for the Harbaugh/Schottenheimer case, who both had horrible relationships with their GMs. Gee, does that sound like Garrett to you?

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Serious question. Not another Garrett SHOULD be fired thread. Want to know what people think on what WOULD cause Jerry to fire him and the staff.

Clearly, another 8-8 season is not going to be enough. Garrett has a built-in excuse: Zeke situation was such a distraction, and then losing him, Lee, Tyron at the same time, was too much.

But I think if the team quits again like it did last night, in one or more games, maybe that's enough for Jerry to see that Garrett has lost the team. Not going to root for the team to quit, but I would not be disappointed if it happened and Garrett was fired as a result.
2 consecutive seasons on par with 2015 gets it done IMO.

agk136

Reaction score
If Garrett keeps losing the way we have the last two games I believe JJ will fire Garrett at season end. Jerry and Stephen is not going to waste the young talent we have now.

Motown12

First words were not Mom or Dad but Flex Defense
Reaction score
It is hard for me to believe that people within the Star are starting to think out loud how the HC kept your franchise QB in the game last week vs the Falcons and was calling timeouts with 3 minutes left in a game that was a blowout and your QB was lucky to escape without serious injury. Then asked in his presser why was Dak still in the game and he said straight faced that you compete for 60 minutes. I wrote a post last week saying that was a mistake that was inexcusable and a fireable offense. Then last night they pull him later in the game (which was the correct move) in another blowout. So which one is it? He makes decisions that are just baffling but somehow seems to be made of Teflon by the Jones family.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I hate to even mention it, but the Eagles winning the SB might..............and I say might...............propel Jerry to making a change.

If Peterson can come in and win the SB in his second year and Jerry's boy is getting blown out on a regular basis in year 8, he might start thinking about making a change.

Yea, I know it would suck for the Eagles to finally win a title, but if it helps gets Garrett out the door it just might be worth it. I feel so dirty now, I am going to go shower:D

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Basically comes down to Jerry being humiliated to the point where it supersedes his stubbornness. Jerry has Jason in that position for a reason folks. Football sense be damned. It ain't happening any time soon.

Plankton

Reaction score
The only way I can see it happening is if the Cowboys go winless the rest of the way. Other than that, he will be back. I do think that there will be a major staff shakeup, though.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The only way I can see it happening is if the Cowboys go winless the rest of the way. Other than that, he will be back. I do think that there will be a major staff shakeup, though.

I agree 100 percent. My prediction is Garrett is back next year, but Linehan and Marinelli are history.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I agree 100 percent. My prediction is Garrett is back next year, but Linehan and Marinelli are history.

The problem is if you're not going to get rid of Garretts philosophies there is no need to get rid of Linehan.

Garrett is just calling plays from Linehans playsheet.

Pants

Reaction score
how about the team decides to give zero effort when they literally are the only game in town when they play thursday...then they let it slip out that Garrett is the reason that they just got pummelled by Atlanta, Philly and San Diego (I can't call them "LA")...even JJ through his whiskey-filled glass should be able to see that...start hearing more boos on national TV...fans in the stadium will never NOT come to the game, hell, there were likely 20,000 philly fans there....but, perhaps get some T-shirts made that show Goodell and Garrett in a huge embrace and the caption is "We are screwing you bad Jones"......