What my gut (and all the articles) tell me about the O line

baj1dallas

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Johnson- bulking up would decrease the one weakness he has which was getting bull rushed and ran over by big DT's.

I disagree with this. Even a smaller guy can avoid being pushed backwards if he is strong and has good leverage...ie plays the technique correctly. I think Johnson's problem is that he is not big and strong enough to get by without pretty much perfect technique and timing. So getting a little bigger and stronger is only part of the problem. If he was just plain too little, it wouldn't be one or two plays a game that was the problem.

TheHustler

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Right NOW I would guess that Fabini would be the swing guy and that Petitti has the edge for RT. BUT remember that Kosier can play four positions. Realisitically, I would Say Fabini is the backup if the Hotel goes down.

I think if we're truely in win NOW mode, Pettiti becomes the LT if Flozell goes down. He's a natural LT and his dad recently said he is still more comfortable there. IIRC, Fabini has played RT throughout his career.

TheHustler

Reaction score
baj1dallas said:
I disagree with this. Even a smaller guy can avoid being pushed backwards if he is strong and has good leverage...ie plays the technique correctly. I think Johnson's problem is that he is not big and strong enough to get by without pretty much perfect technique and timing. So getting a little bigger and stronger is only part of the problem. If he was just plain too little, it wouldn't be one or two plays a game that was the problem.

By most accounts, Johnson has very solid technique.

gbrittain

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Rivera has a lot of pride and has worked, from all accounts, like a fiend to get back in shape. AS I pointed out, he is still YOUNG enough to be very good for a while longer. The back is a problem- BUT outside of that there is no REASON to say he is going downhill.

In fairness, his back is what I am talking about. I should say his back coupled with his age. He is going to have to prove to me that he still has it. I am not convinced. I would not assume him to be better, but that is just me.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I worry about the line b/c we are hoping for most guys to play above their heads.

What we really need is a young guy or two forcing their way into the lineup. To me, the best case scenario would be Petitti eventually beating Fabini out and Peterman or Gurode taking PT away from Rivera/Kosier.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Rivera is only 33- that is not that old for a Olineman. And some people really get hung up on age- it all depends on the individual; some people last longer then others.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Kosier is only in his late 20's- he is a kid compared to Fabini and Rivera.

gbrittain

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Rivera is only 33- that is not that old for a Olineman. And some people really get hung up on age- it all depends on the individual; some people last longer then others.

Actually River is 34 and 34 is old for a lineman. I am not saying that there are not other 34 year old lineman out there, but they are more rare than common.

Rivera will be the oldest starting O Lineman in the NFC East. It would not be so bad had he suffered a knee injury such as Flo, but suffering back injury while riding a stationary bike smacks of someone breaking down.

Like I said I could be wrong and hope that I am. I for one though as I said previously, do not get a warm fuzzy about Rivera.

burmafrd

Reaction score
there are many cases of people injuring themselves doing virtually nothing. It happens all the time.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Spin - 031301 Kendall; Searcy; Leaf; Rivera; Enis; Other signings[SIZE=-1]Packers OG Marco Rivera reportedly signed a four-year contract extension in Green ... He’s never been the same runner since the knee injury his rookie year. ...
archive.profootballweekly.com/content/archives/features_2000/spin_031301.asp - 19k -Cached - Similar pages

[/SIZE]KFFL - Marco Rivera, OG, Dallas Cowboys[SIZE=-1]... reports Dallas Cowboys OG Marco Rivera (elbows) underwent offseason surgery on both elbows. ... 12/30 - Official Injury Report - Week 17 - Friday Report ...
kffl.com/player/757/nfl - 13k - Cached - Similar pages

[/SIZE]CDMSports.com - News[SIZE=-1]31, Marco Rivera will be a game-time decision Sunday due to his neck injury, according to the Star-Telegram. Dec. 30, Marco Rivera went through full drills ...
news.cdmsports.com/index.php?sport=pftball&type=profile&name=463 - 59k - Cached - Similar pages
[/SIZE]
Scout.com: Marco Rivera Profile[SIZE=-1]#62 Marco Rivera Photos (3)... - Dallas, Add Player to My HotList™ Add Player to ... playoffs) despite constant injuries and the pounding in the trenches. ...
scout.scout.com/a.z?s=112&p=8&c=1&nid=1825752 - 27k - Cached - Similar pages

[/SIZE]Packers News - Notebook: Rivera welcomes quick return to practice[SIZE=-1]Guard Marco Rivera could have sat out both minicamps this spring after ... Besides the two knee injuries last year, Rivera, a former sixth-round draft pick, ...
www.packersnews.com/topics/mini03/mini_1_10725279.shtml - 26k - Cached - Similar pages
[ More results from www.packersnews.com ]

and the list goes on....I have been telling you all since we got Rivera that he is done...his body just can't take much more...

Al Johnson... just plain sucks or...well.. maybe that isn't the right word...they toss him around like a rag doll and not just D-lineman but LBers..I have never seen him stonewall anyone...has anybody else seen him stonewall someone?...I've seen him crawling on his hands and knees and get in the way of a defender or I see him being stood up and driven back...and 10-15 pounds ain't gonna make the differance...these lineman in the NFL put that away in one meal...

I think Flo, Rob, Kosier, Fabini will be fine...I would be much happier if we replace the other 2...

[/SIZE]

gbrittain

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
there are many cases of people injuring themselves doing virtually nothing. It happens all the time.

I do not doubt that, but when you are 34 years old it has to concern you.

I went through the NFL.com teams depth charts real quick. There are only 12 players listed as starters that are older than Rivera.

Of those 12 players that are older only two of them are a full two years older than Rivera. I think it is safe to say that for most lineman the end is near at 34 years of age.

As you can see 34 years of age is old for a lineman. Combine his age with his recent back injury and I think my concerns for Rivera are valid.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Up untill the cap started to force teams to let more expensive vets go there were more older O linemen around. So my point is still valid.

Eddie

Reaction score
gbrittain said:
I do not doubt that, but when you are 34 years old it has to concern you.

I went through the NFL.com teams depth charts real quick. There are only 12 players listed as starters that are older than Rivera.

Of those 12 players that are older only two of them are a full two years older than Rivera. I think it is safe to say that for most lineman the end is near at 34 years of age.

As you can see 34 years of age is old for a lineman. Combine his age with his recent back injury and I think my concerns for Rivera are valid.

What ??? You an O Lineman doesn't reach his peak at 40 ???

:bang2:

gbrittain

Reaction score
Eddie said:
What ??? You an O Lineman doesn't reach his peak at 40 ???

:bang2:

Apparently not. From now on out I will refer to Rivera as PUP.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
You really have to question tampa bays intelligence for actually WANTING him.

Tucker looked worse at left tackle simply because he couldn't be helped.

As a right tackle, he could be exactly was for us as a starter in 2004. A mediocre player who you would rather have as a backup, but can be helped if necessary to get by. He isn't good by any means, but not nearly as pathetic as he looked late last year.

He, like Petitti, got overwhelmed because nobody respected them and simply pinned their ears back each and every down. You cannot hide and protect two bad tackles.

Alexander

Reaction score
lostinomiya said:
were alot of other teams after kosier?

Kosier qualifies as the Jason Hatcher of free agency. Someone no one save actual NFL people had heard of but was a more sought after commodity than any layman knew.

Supposedly Arizona was very interested in signing him.

silver

Reaction score
Me thinks Gurode will man one of the Guard spots and won't let go. He's got a one year contract so this is it for him. Rivera will prolly back up both Guards and Gurode would slide to center in an emergency.

The key to the OL is Adams. Check the tape in the 1st Philly game and you'll see why. He was manhandling his opponent and Pettiti was getting a bit of help in pass protection. When he went down our running game went south and we ended up in too many 3rd and long situations for Tucker and Pettiti to handle. Having Adams back will keep defenses honest and our running game will return which in turn will open up the passing game.

Alexander

Reaction score
silver said:
Me thinks Gurode will man one of the Guard spots and won't let go. He's got a one year contract so this is it for him. Rivera will prolly back up both Guards and Gurode would slide to center in an emergency.

Rivera would be one highly paid backup in your scenario. I wouldn't bet the farm on it. Gurode has had a chance to win the starting right guard job for three years and hasn't got it done yet. I don't see anything that says he can do it now.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
This is the year Gurode's proves he can make the calls and captain the Oline from the Center position or he is gone. BP is giving him time to put it together because he knows he has the physical tools to be a very good center but this is his last chance to prove he can handle the mental part of the game in my opinion.