What new technology seems like a step backward?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I told my wife to be that I would tattoo "Property of ...." on my forehead before I would wear a ring. I was given a ring by her antique dealer cousin for the ceremony. I decided to give it a try. Two weeks later we were in Montreal. Entering the hotel through a revolving door my ring got caught on the hand rail and I had to go around again while I shook loose. The ring came off right then and there.

26 years later I still have the ring, the wife, and all my fingers.
Before we got married, I told my wife to be, "If you ever have anything important to say to me, do it on the third sentence, because that's the only one I listen to."

30 years later I've been divorced for 23 years. :grin:

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Before we got married, I told my wife to be, "If you ever have anything important to say to me, do it on the third sentence, because that's the only one I listen to."

30 years later I've been divorced for 23 years. :grin:
The old third ring of marriage. The suffering.

gtb1943

Reaction score

The tech is getting there but the infrastructure is not; from the stress on the electric grid to the lack of recharging stations and the fact you can fill you tank with gas in five minutes top and how long does it take to full charge a EV that has the warning light blinking?

csirl

Reaction score
Sensor activated windshield wipers. So annoying. Never at the speed I want.

rags747

Reaction score
Charging infrastructure is there for Tesla. Why? Because they built out their own Supercharger network. Agreed that the rest of the charging network is very very bad. Tesla makes it easy peasy!

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
About to buy a new car and really held out on that because I didn't know what technology to use. But now I have made the decision to go with a straight six Diesel engine again. The electric vehicle thing is one of the stupidest technology changes ever. For my used case there would be only disadvantages that make my life unnecessarily more complicated and annoying.

Adding to that are all the unnecessary safety features that want to make decisions for me. I decide whether to use seatbelts, I decide how narrow I drive behind someone else, I decide when to use the blinkers, I decide when I want to drive with open doors etc...

Luckily enough there are apps for BMWs where I can disable all these features at start up. Just like the stupid start stop thing that cuts the engine off at every traffic light. I want it on the whole time, no matter how long I wait somewhere. So that is disable too.

**** all that! And **** trains, energy saving light bulbs, low power vacuum cleaners and all that other nonsense. Gawd I'm 45 and will probably spend another 30 years in full awareness on this planet and I really hope I will be able to live like I have been living the last 45. Or die earlier.

Honestly, I wish I was born 40 years earlier or so. Only advantage of our time is the advanced medical technology. But heck, I have no problems whatsoever, so I guess I would have been fine in the 60s or so.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'll open it up by saying I hate the new bathroom faucets that have the "T" handle. The center is the hands free faucet, and the "handles" are hand dryers.

While you're trying to get the sensor to recognize your hands and start the water flowing, the dryers sense them first, and you can't get the water to start until after the dryers stop.

What was wrong with the dryers on the wall?
Social media.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
About to buy a new car and really held out on that because I didn't know what technology to use. But now I have made the decision to go with a straight six Diesel engine again. The electric vehicle thing is one of the stupidest technology changes ever. For my used case there would be only disadvantages that make my life unnecessarily more complicated and annoying.

Adding to that are all the unnecessary safety features that want to make decisions for me. I decide whether to use seatbelts, I decide how narrow I drive behind someone else, I decide when to use the blinkers, I decide when I want to drive with open doors etc...

Luckily enough there are apps for BMWs where I can disable all these features at start up. Just like the stupid start stop thing that cuts the engine off at every traffic light. I want it on the whole time, no matter how long I wait somewhere. So that is disable too.

**** all that! And **** trains, energy saving light bulbs, low power vacuum cleaners and all that other nonsense. Gawd I'm 45 and will probably spend another 30 years in full awareness on this planet and I really hope I will be able to live like I have been living the last 45. Or die earlier.

Honestly, I wish I was born 40 years earlier or so. Only advantage of our time is the advanced medical technology. But heck, I have no problems whatsoever, so I guess I would have been fine in the 60s or so.
Certainly cheaper to go with a fossil fueled vehicle when you need a truck to do some heave duty work.

Shane612

Reaction score
I'll open it up by saying I hate the new bathroom faucets that have the "T" handle. The center is the hands free faucet, and the "handles" are hand dryers.

While you're trying to get the sensor to recognize your hands and start the water flowing, the dryers sense them first, and you can't get the water to start until after the dryers stop.

What was wrong with the dryers on the wall?
This doesn’t sound like new technology.
Sounds like someone created a faucet-Frankenstein.