What new technology seems like a step backward?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
One thing I don't think I like is all the safety features on new cars these days. I was driving the other day on the freeway and my car automatically engaged the brakes hard when it was completely unnecessary. It always flashes "brake now" when it senses I'm too close to the vehicle in front of me, but I didn't know it even had the auto brake system. It was really unsettling. It also has the lane assist feature where it will push back on the steering if it thinks I'm drifting out of my lane. Sometimes that engages for no reason, and I hate it. I need to dig through the manual because I can probably turn these things off.
On that subject, I hate antilock brakes. If I need to suddenly slow down and turn around someone or something (like a deer), I feel like I have much less control than when I'd hit the brakes hard, then let off and veer around.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
On that subject, I hate antilock brakes. If I need to suddenly slow down and turn around someone or something (like a deer), I feel like I have much less control than when I'd hit the brakes hard, then let off and veer around.
I feel like all the "safety" features actually make people worse drivers. Like they come to rely on those things instead of just being alert and driving the right way.

rags747

Reaction score
NASCAR and F1 drivers know their cars inside out. Fighter pilots know their planes inside out. Submarine and Aircraft Carrier captains know their ships inside out. All of the above are not afraid to have to push a button! If driving for you is just an A to B exercise than it is totally understandable of why you are lost behind the wheel. If you are a driving enthusiast than embrace the suck and learn and understand everything about your vehicle, it is after all one of the few remaining places where you get to be the hotshot Captain.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I'm sure the engineering to start a car has improved since I used to work on my cars, but my biggest concern was overworking the starter. I've changed a few starters over the years and it seems the repeatedly starting an engine multiple times a day would shorten the starter motor life.
I trust that the engineers over-engineered the starters for the start/stop application. From what I understand, they're pretty heavy duty starters.

My wife made me laugh when we bought my truck and she found out it did that. "I don't like that. How do they know it'll hold up?" I told her it's not like Ford just threw this design out into the real-world application like "Let's see if this works Jim". :laugh: They R&D this stuff for years.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I know it sounds stupid, but my last car had the auto shut off feature. I was OK buying it because I figured I would either get used to it or how bad could pushing one little button be? I had that car for about two years and never got used to it. Every single time you forget to push that button until you get to a stop light and it shuts off. Really irritating when it's a hot summer day and the engine shuts off along with your A/C. Not sure if it was just an issue with my model or this is an ongoing issue with all cars with this feature but I went through batteries quick too. luckily Carvana offered me enough that it made sense to sell it.

I'd rather watch the old guys at the senior center do yoga than buy another car with the auto off feature.
I'm glad my car doesn't have that feature. It would annoy the bejeezus out of me. I hate it when companies come up with stupid features that they think are great, and then they force them on you. It's the very reason why I quit using Microsoft Office and Windows.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
NASCAR and F1 drivers know their cars inside out. Fighter pilots know their planes inside out. Submarine and Aircraft Carrier captains know their ships inside out. All of the above are not afraid to have to push a button! If driving for you is just an A to B exercise than it is totally understandable of why you are lost behind the wheel. If you are a driving enthusiast than embrace the suck and learn and understand everything about your vehicle, it is after all one of the few remaining places where you get to be the hotshot Captain.
I assume the problem is a matter of unnecessary inconvenience, along with a lack of performance.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I trust that the engineers over-engineered the starters for the start/stop application. From what I understand, they're pretty heavy duty starters.

My wife made me laugh when we bought my truck and she found out it did that. "I don't like that. How do they know it'll hold up?" I told her it's not like Ford just threw this design out into the real-world application like "Let's see if this works Jim". :laugh: They R&D this stuff for years.
I wouldn't count on that. If they make more money by selling starters, it's a win - win for them.

The lumber truck I drive is so inferior to the one I had before it, and they're only 2 years apart. They save money by using cheaper parts.

Also, the truck has a Conestoga tarping system that opens and closes accordion style, and they redesign it every few years, often getting rid of something that works well, and replacing it with something that doesn't.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
I wouldn't count on that. If they make more money by selling starters, it's a win - win for them.

The lumber truck I drive is so inferior to the one I had before it, and they're only 2 years apart. They save money by using cheaper parts.

Also, the truck has a Conestoga tarping system that opens and closes accordion style, and they redesign it every few years, often getting rid of something that works well, and replacing it with something that doesn't.
If something happens to my starter, I'm blaming you!!! :laugh:

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
What happens if you keep your foot slightly on the accelerator?
Never tried that. I can manipulate the brake pedal to either keep the truck from shutting down, or to restart it without moving much. Thats another thing, though. When you lift off the brake and the truck restarts it will bump forward slightly. Not enough to be dangerous but enough to freak the frick out of the vehicle you intend to pull out behind, as he passes in front of you at 60mph.

Pushing the button or putting it in sport mode solves all of this but I am an old dog.

Creeper

Reaction score
Just remember, all thing new improve over time as the bugs are worked out. The original gas powered cars had hand cranks to start them which were sometimes forced backwards during cranking by engine misfires. People got their arms broken until the hand cranks were replaced with electric motor starters.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
My Saturn Ion that I used to have came with an anti-theft system that was supposed to lock it out from starting if it detected someone trying to hotwire it. The problem was, if it was a freezing cold day, putting the key into the ignition would make the system think it was being hotwired, so you would be locked out from starting it. So I kept getting stuck freezing my butt off, and it kept making me late for work. Nearly got me fired. I had no clue why it suddenly would not start. I would have it towed into a repair shop, and then it would start right up for the mechanic. I tried jump starting it, and I tried letting it run for an hour the day before I needed to use it to drive it to work. Whether or not it would start was a crap shoot. Finally, I hired someone with one of those cranes with a super magnet on the end to lift up the car and drop it into the Grand Canyon. Okay, I didn't really do that. I just felt like it. I finally researched it on the Internet and figured out what was wrong. Then only the dealer could fix it. So I paid for the fix, and it was okay. Then a couple years later, they recalled it, fixing the problem for free. Then a couple years later, when I was on a road trip to California, its clutch went out. I had it fixed, and then the clutch kept breaking off about every 6 months. I finally replaced the whole car.
The anti-theft system was a good idea that was poorly implemented. After all, no one wants their car to be stolen. But you tend to get upset when, at random, your car won't start and the mechanics can't even figure out why.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My Saturn Ion that I used to have came with an anti-theft system that was supposed to lock it out from starting if it detected someone trying to hotwire it. The problem was, if it was a freezing cold day, putting the key into the ignition would make the system think it was being hotwired, so you would be locked out from starting it. So I kept getting stuck freezing my butt off, and it kept making me late for work. Nearly got me fired. I had no clue why it suddenly would not start. I would have it towed into a repair shop, and then it would start right up for the mechanic. I tried jump starting it, and I tried letting it run for an hour the day before I needed to use it to drive it to work. Whether or not it would start was a crap shoot. Finally, I hired someone with one of those cranes with a super magnet on the end to lift up the car and drop it into the Grand Canyon. Okay, I didn't really do that. I just felt like it. I finally researched it on the Internet and figured out what was wrong. Then only the dealer could fix it. So I paid for the fix, and it was okay. Then a couple years later, they recalled it, fixing the problem for free. Then a couple years later, when I was on a road trip to California, its clutch went out. I had it fixed, and then the clutch kept breaking off about every 6 months. I finally replaced the whole car.
The anti-theft system was a good idea that was poorly implemented. After all, no one wants their car to be stolen. But you tend to get upset when, at random, your car won't start and the mechanics can't even figure out why.
The next thing manufacturers need to do is figure out a way to keep catalytic converters from being stolen.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
The next thing manufacturers need to do is figure out a way to keep catalytic converters from being stolen.
Yes. There have been entire organized crime businesses that do nothing but steal and resell catalytic converters. At one point, I heard that they were considering installing clandestine tracking systems into them. Air bags is another thing specialized thieves snag.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yes. There have been entire organized crime businesses that do nothing but steal and resell catalytic converters. At one point, I heard that they were considering installing clandestine tracking systems into them. Air bags is another thing specialized thieves snag.
Air bags? I never heard that one. I think it would be possible to install a spiked cage type thing over catalytic converter. They could eventually get it, but it would take too long to risk it. That's just a thought off the top of my head, I'm sure an engineer could come up with something better.

rags747

Reaction score
If you are caught stealing a cat converter you will automatically lose your non writing hand, second offense you lose the opposite side ankle.