What options do Cowboys have to move on from Prescott?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
There are options, just not any good ones:

1. Pay Dak, roll with who you have on the team and hope and pray somehow, someway, McCarthy or whoever can straighten out Dak to a SB-level quarterback.
2. Extend Dak and try to find some free agents and draftees to plug the run defense.
3. Cut Dak, eat the cap hit, and draft a qb, hoping you can find a Purdy or Brady instead of another Dak or maybe another Romo (undrafted qb)

That's about it. All 3 are a shot in the dark, not really a plan, but it's what Dallas has available...
#3. We already have our QB. #Lance

That 2021 draft was money.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Before any other contract is signed, the Cowboys need to figure out what they want to do with quarterback Dak Prescott, who is entering the final year of his contract with a $59.45 million cap hit and a dead cap value of $61.91 million. The Cowboys cannot realistically construct a winning team with Prescott's contract as it is, so they'll inevitably have to either extend him, trade him, or cut him.

“If we get to March and the Cowboys, for whatever reason, have decided they don't want to extend Prescott… then things get interesting," ESPN's Dan Graziano said. "Prescott's 2024 money is not guaranteed. The Cowboys could cut or trade him prior to paying the March roster bonus and save $34 million on their 2024 cap."
Regardless of the salary cap, there isn't any clear path to a quarterback upgrade for Dallas. Kirk Cousins and Baker Mayfield will be the headliners of a lackluster free agency, and any trade will likely result in a downgrade at the quarterback position.

Finding a franchise quarterback is a daunting task, and Prescott is a three-time Pro Bowler who just had an All-Pro season despite coming up short in the playoffs again. Only a handful of quarterbacks would represent an obvious upgrade, and none of them will be available for trade. All that leaves are the quarterbacks that Dallas currently has on their roster . San Francisco gladly traded Lance away just two years after spending multiple first-round picks to draft him third overall, so it's unlikely that he's a viable answer.

"The Cowboys know how hard it is to get a good quarterback and Prescott is largely considered a top-10 passer in this league," ESPN's Jeremy Fowler said. "So, it would be mildly surprising if they moved on from him, but with that 2-5 playoff record, certainly that could be a negotiating point for Dallas that comes up over the coming months."

Extending Prescott is the most reasonable move if Dallas wants to remain competitive. And remaining relative and competitive is our owners first priority. He appears to be “ All In” on this current core of stars even recently stating we will go as far as Dak takes us.

Also worth noting is in McCarthys lame duck season without a contract extension it’s very doubtful they change QB’s. That leaves us basically negotiating how big and how long the extension.
This has been talked about ad naseum. Dak will be extended and you‘ll hate it. You’ll complain about it and the real haters will be even worse. Constant whining just like it is now.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
This has been talked about ad naseum. Dak will be extended and you‘ll hate it. You’ll complain about it and the real haters will be even worse. Constant whining just like it is now.
Then why hasn’t he been extended?

Cause we are broke.

#Cap

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Then why hasn’t he been extended?

Cause we are broke.

#Cap
Agree. Good chance Dak does end up getting an extension, however I think it's a mistake to assume its going to just happen. There are other options on the table if Dak plays hardball again this time around.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
They won’t be after he is extended.
NFL teams are more competive when they have a young QB making peanuts.

#Lance

It’s near impossible to keep paying Dak mega millions $$$ and keep our players.

#Micah #CD. #Tyron #Martin

So pick which one we want. Dak or the team.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
NFL teams are more competive when they have a young QB making peanuts.

#Lance

It’s near impossible to keep paying Dak mega millions $$$ and keep our players.

#Micah #CD. #Tyron #Martin

So pick which one we want. Dak or the team.
It’s not one or the other. That’s stupid and naive. Lance couldn’t beat out any of the QB’s in SF and was traded after they traded numerous #1 picks for him. What the hell have you seen from him to make you think he’s going to be the starter ahead of Dak. Not sure why I waste my time with you yahoos.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Oh he knows his faults, remember the comment he made about firing himself years ago?

He HAS to win a SB with himself as the owner and general manager. Nothing else is acceptable to Jerry. I believe deep inside he knows he can't do it, but giving control to someone else, he just can't do....
At this point it will make him look even worse if he handed control over to someone else and they won. LOL

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The sensible option is to make him a June 1st cut. We should also cut Rush - we need a fresh start. Draft a QB in the first round, signa low price experienced vet backup.

i'd be tempted to draft a second QB in rounds 5-7 just to give us depth and options in training camp.

Go into camp with these 4 x QBs and see where we end up .
So reach for a QB in the first round?

Great option.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Cut Dak and bring in Jimmy G for a 1 year deal. Let Rush start the first two games since Jimmy is suspended. Or maybe try and get Jake Browning from the Bengals. He did well in limited time. The Cowboys don't need to match Daks regular season stats they just need a QB to play better than Dak has in the playoffs. That shouldn't be too hard to find.
Why even bring Jimmy G. Just go with Rush and shoot for a top 3 pick.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
How is Cooper Rush not competitive?
Asking for a friend.
What? WHAT!!!???

Cooper Rush is not competitive. He led the offense to a 32nd ranking or worse in almost every offensive category. The defense gave up average of 13.5 points in his 4 wins. Even.scored a couple of times. First time we gave up more than 20 we lost the game.

I would advocate for Rush if we want a top 3 pick. Now that would be a good idea

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
McCarthy, Penix Jr and Nix would not be considered reaches at our 1st round pick.
All suck. Penix is a bust waiting to happen. That side arm baseball throw is just plain awful for NFL. McCarthy lacks arm strength. Not so accurate. Both are reaches.not sure about nix.

75boyz

Reaction score
I say we should never ever move on from Dak with a first round pick ever.

Because that first round pick "might" not be good as him.

Because 12-5 relevancy and Forbes trophies pale in comparison to attempting to win Lombardis.

The Romo and Prescott model are perfect examples.

Run it back to infinity.
And where's McFraud's extension too?
Can't have one without the other.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If you want to go to the playoffs pay him, but if you want to win the Superbowl look somewhere else.
The road to the Super Bowl goes through the playoffs. Most starting QBs can’t even lead their teams to the playoffs. In the Cowboys entire history only 2 QBs have led them to a SB championship. Good luck finding a QB that can consistently lead the team to the playoffs and win a SB. Some of you continue acting like it’s going to be easy. In last 5 years the same QB has won the SB 3 times. With Mahomes out there it’s become even more difficult to find a QB that can out duel him in championship games.

Last edited:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Im no historian, I dont have stats...but I assume you idea has been tried and not worked.

What so many posters seem to not want to discuss is the Locker room. Its like my point hurts posters' narrative so they avoid talking about it.

My opinion is, the players see Dak as good enough. He seems to be a leader on and off the field. You get rid of him for a high risk, low cost QB and the QB starts to stink early in the season...you lose the Locker room. Players start faking injuries because they know the season is over. Older stud players trying to win(Tyron and Zach) are disgruntled because they are at the end and now the season is a waste.

It becomes a toxic situation. And...I assume...numbers back up that the likely hood of the cheap QB being a stinker are significant. This board complained about Romo INT's at bad times or Dak not being clutch...what do you think the Locker room would do if we let Dak go to Atlanta, they go 12-5 make the playoffs and we lose a make or break game to get into the playoffs at 8-8 because Flacco throws 3 INT's?

I just completely disagree with your approach. I think it fails more times than "hits the jackpot". QB market prices are a thing for a reason, and other players and coaches need to step up...not just QB. But that kills the narrative.

No on this board wants to talk about Locker room issues when talking about replacing Good Bus driving QB's. No one. And it is a thing.
What's toxic is paying elite money to guys who aren't elite. That gets you good enough to win a few games but not good enough to compete for a SB. While it's still possible to build good teams with them it is much harder. If SF has to pay Brock an average of 50 a year they wouldn't have the same supporting cast that they do now but they'd still be good. Your way of thinking is toxic, and holds the team back. your fear of not being able to win games if you replace a non elite QB with another non elite QB and then you'll complain that your QB doesn't get enough help. If Dak made half his salary and the FO invested that into getting a few more players who could help maybe they go further. This team is good but has many flaws that they haven't been able to overcome because they overpay their own players and overpaying for Daks services is part of that problem.