What options do Cowboys have to move on from Prescott?

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
All suck. Penix is a bust waiting to happen. That side arm baseball throw is just plain awful for NFL. McCarthy lacks arm strength. Not so accurate. Both are reaches.not sure about nix.

I think Penix is Teddy Bridgewater 2.0. Plus there are injury concerns with him. He is not my guy in this draft class.

McCarthy actually has a hell of an arm. He can really sling it - and throw with great velocity - when asked to. Michigan just didn’t run that type of offense. I want to see him at the combine. I bet he’ll show off the arm.

Nix is a wild card to me. That gimmicky Oregon offense aside, I have seen him make some throws that NFL scouts will take notice of. He made some serious big boy throws when he had to.

Jimbo123

Reaction score
For all the Dak haters...
Next February 12, 2024 headlines:
After being traded to the Atlanta Falcons for a 3rd and 5th-round pick, Dak after an MVP season, led the Falcons to their first Superbowl, all the while the Trey Lance led Cowboys finished 4-13, finishing last in the NFCE.

Wouldn't that be hilarious?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
After being traded to the Atlanta Falcons for a 3rd and 5th-round pick, Dak after an MVP season, led the Falcons to their first Superbowl, all the while the Trey Lance led Cowboys finished 4-13, finishing last in the NFCE.

:thumbup:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This has been talked about ad naseum. Dak will be extended and you‘ll hate it. You’ll complain about it and the real haters will be even worse. Constant whining just like it is now.
And you’d rather everyone just sit around the campfire singing Kumbaya .

A6FjBOt.jpeg

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Good post and on point.

I see 2 very telling reasons that they stay the course with Dak. It is apparent that Jerry wants to win now with keeping McCarthy and even saying all in. If you were going to trade or cut or let him play on the current contract then you would not have kept McCarthy. Cutting Dak leaves you with also zero options at QB unless the team is not telling us how good or bad Trey Lance is. There is no chance we ride with Rush as the starting QB in 2024.

Trading Dak could be the start of a rebuild for what you would get for him which contrary to what the fans think would bring at least 2 1st round picks and more. But no trade is going to give you anywhere near what the productivity of Dak has been. We aren't getting any of the top 3 candidates at QB in the draft so forget moving up in the draft unless you are willing to give up 3 1st round picks. Regardless of what you think of Nix, Penex, or J J McCarthy, they appear to be not much better than Rush and definitely not ready to start in the NFL. (For that matter, the top 3 aren't as good as CJ Stoud IMO)

We could just ride with Dak this year on his current contract and hopefully draft one in 2025 but again McCarthy is going to do his best to win this year so expect another 12-5 season especially with I believe a much improved defense under Zimmer. Then you face the dilemma in 2025 with Dak a free agent getting far more than you could sign him this year for and no way to franchise tag him so drafting a QB late 1st hasn't been great for any team. Plus the fact your options for signing free agents this year would only come with quite a few restructures of other players. Sort of the rock and the hard place situation.

Then there is the Jerry factor. I do believe that he wants to win now because his time isn't another 10 years and the rebuilding takes more than year especially with a toss up of 50-50 on a rookie QB. Don't think he is willing to go down that road. Yet again that could be something about Trey Lance we don't know that change everything.

The first part of March is the key though. By March 13th we have to be under the cap in order to sign free agents. We have other free agents on the team currently we want to keep so getting those signed and getting under the cap makes the decision on Dak that more urgent. If we are going to trade him, first he has to agree to the trade to that team and second Dallas has to agree on the compensation for him. Dak is going to want a new contract from the new team so before he accepts to be traded then the new team will need to come to terms with him also. The betting is that Dak will get roughly $60 million a year for 5 years on his new deal. That's a lot of things to happen over the next 3 weeks.

So if we want to trade Dak, then the most likely place he would agree would be Atlanta because they have the most ready team to win on both sides of the ball. Minnesota and Pittsburgh would be next up because Dak isn't going to go to a rebuilding team unless it is $70 million a year contract and most of it guaranteed. Forget Justin Fields because if you don't like Dak, Fields isn't going to be any better and Fields is likely to go to Atlanta at a much lower cost.

So options are limited and Dak being extended for more than most care, will probably happen. So we must hope Jerry is really serious about all in to improve the defense especially in stopping the run, improve the OL, and improve the running game or we will keep posting the same old things in 2025.
So you would give at LEAST 2 first round picks to trade for Kirk Cousins?

Since Cousins is also a regular season stats getter, and playoff failure, but not as big a failure as Dak (he at least has gotten his team to 1 NFC CG)

If your answe is "no WAY would any team give a single, much less multiple, 1st round picks for Cousins, then you know why other teams laugh at the notion of giving a single, much less multiple 1st round picks for Dak. Dak is not Stafford. Dak is not Wilson. Dak is Kirk Cousins....and perhaps Kirk Cousins Lite

Rayman70

Reaction score
Cowboy fans.

This isn’t about what we think we should do but what options do you think our ownership is looking at.
I think they are having this conversation as we speak. I wonder if Jerry spoke to Jimmy about this? I think there are at least 3 NFL teams that are in dire need of a missing piece, and maybe they see Dak as a fit. I mean, hes pretty good, and in the right system, maybe he helps a team. I see New England as a potential landing spot. Some club might be willing to eat most of the cap hit as well. This is what Cleveland did to trade for Watson. Dak is much better than Watson and I think calls will be made to Dallas to see if hes on the market for the right price. This is what I feel ownership is pondering.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think they are having this conversation as we speak. I wonder if Jerry spoke to Jimmy about this? I think there are at least 3 NFL teams that are in dire need of a missing piece, and maybe they see Dak as a fit. I mean, hes pretty good, and in the right system, maybe he helps a team. I see New England as a potential landing spot. Some club might be willing to eat most of the cap hit as well. This is what Cleveland did to trade for Watson. Dak is much better than Watson and I think calls will be made to Dallas to see if hes on the market for the right price. This is what I feel ownership is pondering.
That would be wonderful but I can’t imagine based on what’s been coming out of Jethro’s mouth. And how he’s put MM on the hot seat. It would go against everything he’s said and his actions thus far.

MikeT22

Reaction score
Except it is a fact that he is one of the top qbs in the NFC.
So is Kirk Cousins, your point?

Stafford, Goff, Purdy, Love, Cousins, Dak, Hurts, Mayfield.

Not many high end QBs in the NFC now days. And in 8 years Dak could only win one playoff game vs a winning team. Even Purdy in year 2 has far more poise and composure than Dak.

Rayman70

Reaction score
That would be wonderful but I can’t imagine based on what’s been coming out of Jethro’s mouth. And how he’s put MM on the hot seat. It would go against everything he’s said and his actions thus far.
agree, but if a GM calls and blows Jerry away with an offer, we cant rule it out. Lets look at Cleveland since I brought them up. They have everything except a great QB. Watson is a massive failure, cant get on the field. They showed they are willing to deal. Look at that team. They have everything except a QB. Can't rule it out, that they might try to get a guy.Look what the Jets did to get Rodgers. Gave up the farm to get the missing piece. If we traded Dak to say, New England for a bunch of draft picks and a player or 2, look what that does for New England instantly. They have a good team. New HC there too. What about the Bears? Would they dare trade for Dak? What if we traded Dak to the Bears, they eat a large chunk of the salary, then we get Fields in exchange, still playing on his rookie deal. Then we can let Lance compete with Fields in camp. Id take Fields in a heartbeat. I see an ascending player. Hes dynamic.

Rayman70

Reaction score

Thats another great trade partner, Atlanta. Raheem Morris is there now too. They have a nice nucleus, except a QB. Im not trading Dak unless we get several premium picks,players and they eat over half of his cap hit due him. They must toss in Desmond Ridder too.

MikeT22

Reaction score
It’s not one or the other. That’s stupid and naive. Lance couldn’t beat out any of the QB’s in SF and was traded after they traded numerous #1 picks for him. What the hell have you seen from him to make you think he’s going to be the starter ahead of Dak. Not sure why I waste my time with you yahoos.
I agree the Lance trade was dumb

DuncanIso

Reaction score
It’s not one or the other. That’s stupid and naive. Lance couldn’t beat out any of the QB’s in SF and was traded after they traded numerous #1 picks for him. What the hell have you seen from him to make you think he’s going to be the starter ahead of Dak. Not sure why I waste my time with you yahoos.
It’s not me that matters.

It’s Dallas. They traded for him.

I just make predictions.

Young phenom QB vs old expensive failed QB.

Throw in a jacked up salary cap.

That’s one easy to call.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Id try like to trade for Fields, even if we have to eat dead money, because he essentially gonna cost us next to nothing for a year or 2. Its low riisk and high reward. We don't have to pay Fields til what, 2025? Talk about a win win. Fields gives us a Jalen Hurts dynamic. I think the front office is talking about everything right now.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
agree, but if a GM calls and blows Jerry away with an offer, we cant rule it out. Lets look at Cleveland since I brought them up. They have everything except a great QB. Watson is a massive failure, cant get on the field. They showed they are willing to deal. Look at that team. They have everything except a QB. Can't rule it out, that they might try to get a guy.Look what the Jets did to get Rodgers. Gave up the farm to get the missing piece. If we traded Dak to say, New England for a bunch of draft picks and a player or 2, look what that does for New England instantly. They have a good team. New HC there too. What about the Bears? Would they dare trade for Dak? What if we traded Dak to the Bears, they eat a large chunk of the salary, then we get Fields in exchange, still playing on his rookie deal. Then we can let Lance compete with Fields in camp. Id take Fields in a heartbeat. I see an ascending player. Hes dynamic.
Those are all far fetched and basically totally unwarranted and baseless. Bears and Pats going to draft their QB with 1st and 3rd overall picks. Throw Wash with 2nd pick in that group as well. Browns just signed Watson to huge contract last year.

There could be some teams out there just feeling they need a QB without a high draft pick. Any other potential scenarios?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Those are all far fetched and basically totally unwarranted and baseless. Bears and Pats going to draft their QB with 1st and 3rd pick overall picks. Browns just signed Watson to huge contract last year.

There could be some teams out there just feeling they need a QB without a high draft pick. Any other potential scenarios?
Atlanta. Great fit there.