What player do you want at 26?

cowboyec

Reaction score
I don’t want a Jason Witten style of TE.

If we’re interested in TE then getting a Sam Laporte in round 2 is not going to be a big difference than Michael Mayer and Laporte might end up being better because he can get down field.
they(mayer>iowa hawkeye)are not even close.
mayer is the best te in this class and its not close.
i dont want seconds.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
they(mayer>iowa hawkeye)are not even close.
mayer is the best te in this class and its not close.
i dont want seconds.
The production is going to be close.

You guys are delusional about how the TE position translates from college to the NFL.

We see the OJ Howard types all the time every year.

Hayden Hurst in the first round isn’t always better than Mark Andrews in the 3rd.

The best TE I can think of that was drafted in round 1 is Hockenson.

Mayer is going to be a good solid TE. That’s about it.

His upside is Jason Witten and Witten was never a monster at any point in his career. Never a game breaker. Just a possession guy who was never even that good in the Red Zone. Also a 3rd rounder…

fivetwos

Reaction score

You guys are delusional about how the TE position translates from college to the NFL.

Hayden Hurst in the first round isn’t always better than Mark Andrews in the 3rd.

His upside is Jason Witten and Witten was never a monster at any point in his career. Never a game breaker. Just a possession guy who was never even that good in the Red Zone. Also a 3rd rounder…
Agree on Mayer.

Of the TEs, he probably has the lowest floor, and is certainly ready to start week one, but the upside is nothing to get excited over. It’s a safe pick and I can see that happening.

I do however see it as a better pick for this team at this time than a WR that will likely see limited snaps.

Worst case Mayer is a huge improvement over Schultz in the run game. I’d rather have him than Kincaid for that reason alone.

Overall I’d prefer to gamble on the upside of Washington at the position. Wouldn’t be upset with LaPorta in round two, but this team needs to upgrade TE1, not add another 2-3 type to Fergushot.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Agree on Mayer.

Of the TEs, he probably has the lowest floor, and is certainly ready to start week one, but the upside is nothing to get excited over. It’s a safe pick and I can see that happening.

I do however see it as a better pick for this team at this time than a WR that will likely see limited snaps.

Worst case Mayer is a huge improvement over Schultz in the run game. I’d rather have him than Kincaid for that reason alone.

Overall I’d prefer to gamble on the upside of Washington at the position. Wouldn’t be upset with LaPorta in round two, but this team needs to upgrade TE1, not add another 2-3 type to Fergushot.
Keep this in mind.

Gallup struggled last year.

Cooks is likely a 1 year deal.

WR is one of the more difficult positions to translate from college to the Pros.

So drafting a rookie this year would really put you ahead of things going forward. Especially if Gallups knee is toast.

I like Mingo though the more I watch him.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Keep this in mind.

Gallup struggled last year.

Cooks is likely a 1 year deal.

WR is one of the more difficult positions to translate from college to the Pros.

So drafting a rookie this year would really put you ahead of things going forward. Especially if Gallups knee is toast.

I like Mingo though the more I watch him.
I think they expect a starting player out of a first rounder.

That can happen at TE and LG and there ought to be several candidates in that range. I expect it to go that way, unless Flowers falls.

I’m up for adding a smaller slot type in the later rounds over reaching for a future starter early in a not so great WR class.

cowboyec

Reaction score

he's the most nfl ready te in my bias.
notre dame made no effort to get their receivers involved in the pass game.
there was one direction those passes were goin'...opposing defenses knew it and he still got open and made plays.
but most impressive to me is he played almost the entire season with a back-up qb in drew pyne.
and none of that seemed to bother him.
i'll take the mayer of south bend happily if he falls to 26.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
he's the most nfl ready te in my bias.
notre dame made no effort to get their receivers involved in the pass game.
there was one direction those passes were goin'...opposing defenses knew it and he still got open and made plays.
but most impressive to me is he played almost the entire season with a back-up qb in drew pyne.
and none of that seemed to bother him.
i'll take the mayer of south bend happily if he falls to 26.
If we take him it’s fine it just doesn’t do much for our offense imo.

I’d rather have Laporte a round later because he moves better and shows more upside.

Darnell Washington interests me too because at least he has the upside to be a beast where Mayer is just going to be a boring solid player.