What position would impact the team the most?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was also arguably the worst DT against the run in the league in 2016. And when he played 3-tech this year he wasn't good at all except for when he played against Arizona's sorry excuse for an O-Line.

YR
False.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And our run defense and LB's would be atrocious because Irving already isn't great vs the run as the 3 tech. I'm not even quite sure you fully understand the duties of the 2 positions. You can't have 2 guys in the middle of your line who are all out pass rushers on an every down basis, it just doesn't work in the scheme of the defense. A 1 tech who can consistently occupy 2 blockers and get push in the pocket makes the entire D better.

And Malik Collins didn't look good because he was playing out of position at the 1 tech. A concept you're clearly not grasping.
I don't think he understands it.

The 1tech and 3tech concept seems to confuse many people at CZ.

Darthkuriboh

Reaction score
Defensive tackle. I'm absolutely convinced we need to draft Vita Vea if he drops to 19. Dude's built like (and as powerful as) a semi with an F-14's wingspan

baltcowboy

Reaction score
The Cowboys need two wide receivers and a TE. Give Dak weapons on offense next season. If he struggles again next season with weapons, you replace Dak the following year or at least draft quarterback back early in 2019. The defense with a free agent 1 tech and a linebacker will be good enough.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
HC... Why even debate it? The position that would impact the team the most should not even be a question. :huh:

Lane21Train

Reaction score
I'm interested in the results of this....

Assuming we hit on our 1st round pick and that player is a day 1 starter, what position would have the biggest impact on the team?

Not that I think all of these players will be sitting at 19 but I think a true centerfielder like Fitzpatrick (although I think he will end up at cb) or a dynamic receiver like Ridley, Kirk or Moore would have the largest impact on the team.

winzstar

Reaction score
Daron payne looked good too, but I see him going early too
I wonder who goes first, either Vita Vea or Payne. I'm thinking Vea because I want him bad. Him and Collins should be able to keep the OL's off of our Lbs/

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't think he understands it.

The 1tech and 3tech concept seems to confuse many people at CZ.
At the old place too.

What really gets me is how many of today's DC's in the NFL are confused by it. OAK even tried it a few years ago w/ Seymour and Richard Kelly, both fine DT's. But, both were 3 techs. And OAK just couldn't stop the run.

You just have to have that anchor. I personally think Malik will be fine as a nice rotational 3 tech. He's just one of those guys who plays one position well, and that's it.

Verdict

Reaction score
I wonder who goes first, either Vita Vea or Payne. I'm thinking Vea because I want him bad. Him and Collins should be able to keep the OL's off of our Lbs/

The question I have is how good is Vea? If he is Suh good he will be gone in the top 5 to 7 picks. If he is Vince Wilfork good he will be gone by about 15 or so.

Where do you guys rate him? It sounds like he is in Suh territory. If so then I don't see any way he falls to where we are in the draft. Whatever chance we had went out the window when we won that last game. There is zero doubt in my mind (whether it's Vea or another player) we cost ourself a player we wanted more than the player we will get by winning that last game.

Verdict

Reaction score
I'm not opposed to a receiver in the first round if the grade is there. Having said that stud receivers can be found anywhere in the draft. A second or third round guy can do what Dez does now at a fraction of the cost. Dominant DTs are harder to come by later in the draft. It happens but not as often.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Just passing it on...but on both Draft shows...Dane Brugler says he thinks that if we can get WR Calvin Ridley that he would make the biggest impact on this team of the players in the draft.

My problem with him is the age.

He'll be 29 after his rookie deal is up.

He'll be 24 when the season starts.

It takes some WR's 2 or 3 years to play to their potential.

I like Ridley but hate the age.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My problem with him is the age.

He'll be 29 after his rookie deal is up.

He'll be 24 when the season starts.

It takes some WR's 2 or 3 years to play to their potential.

I like Ridley but hate the age.

Your concern is noted.

I like him anyway. :cool:

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
I think DT or RG (depending on what they do with Cooper) are the only positions where a rookie would have a chance of starting,

winzstar

Reaction score

aikemirv

Reaction score
I'm interested in the results of this....

Assuming we hit on our 1st round pick and that player is a day 1 starter, what position would have the biggest impact on the team?

Honestly depends where an injury occurs. I would say that the 2 most probable injury positions are OL and LB based on our experience so I will say those 2 positions would impact us the most.. I would say QB, but I don't think a rookie comes in and makes a huge difference .

cowboyec

Reaction score
the 1 player....Quenton Nelson,OG-Notre Dame...this guy next to Frederick and Martin on the other side....STRONG in the middle.

the 1 position....at 19...DT.
take your pick...Maurice Hurst,Michigan...Christian Wilkins,Clemson...Vita Vea,Washington....no way we are not INSTANTLY better against the run and more important....3rd DOWN STOPS...DAY1 w/any of them....my preference being Hurst because Ive seen him more and I like his game.I dont see him EVER coming out on ANY situation...EVER.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At the old place too.

What really gets me is how many of today's DC's in the NFL are confused by it. OAK even tried it a few years ago w/ Seymour and Richard Kelly, both fine DT's. But, both were 3 techs. And OAK just couldn't stop the run.

You just have to have that anchor. I personally think Malik will be fine as a nice rotational 3 tech. He's just one of those guys who plays one position well, and that's it.
Old place?

sdfidaho

Reaction score
I think this is a double sided question because first, you have to ask yourself. AT What position can a rookie effectively make an immediate impact?
According to Harvard Sports Analysis the most impactfulness positions, by a rookie, are as follows:
1: RB
2: LB
3: WR
4: QB
5: CB
6: S
7: LT
8: DE
9: TE
10: DT.
This is based on AV by the top 100 First round picks since 1970.
So, this would suggest that we'd be best served to draft an RB, LB or WR in the first round to make an impact immediately. Obviously, I think lack of need at the RB position will eliminate that from contention so that leaves us with LB or WR.

I don't see the glaring hole that others see in the LB core. I think Lee is on top of his game and Hitchens will be back PLUS Jaylon is coming on and should take a big jump from year one to year two. So with all that said, I'd say we'd be best served to take a WR and with the 19th pick, right now, that would be Courtland Sutton from SMU.

Excellent job selling WR in the first round! You make a very compelling argument.
Having said that, I just feel there is much more value for this position in Rounds 3/4. Maybe because I really want a true 1DT that can clog up the middle AND push the pocket into the QB’s face.
I would be okay with a starting quality S; LB or OT as well.
At the end of the day, I want to see what impact Vita Vea can make on this defense as a whole.