CFZ What's your plan to upgrade our WR room?

Cowboyny

Reaction score
-Lamb has earned himself an extension and he should be getting one in the near future.
-Gallup has an out in his contract after next season, came back too early and was a shell of his former self.
-Brown was a miscast as a starting receiver and probably price himself off the roster now.
-Hilton most likely won't return and go back to being retired.
-Tolbert/Semi-haven't produced much at all since they were drafted.

Needs

-Team needs a legitimate #2 receiver opposite Lamb.
-Depth has to improve as our backup receivers gave the team virtually nothing.

Free Agency/Draft

-Very weak free agent class, wr's in the draft are reportedly deep, but lack any elite prospects
-Trade Market-Hopkins (will cost a high pick and we have to resign him), Cooks (Huge contract), Jeudy (High draft pick, have his option next yr)

Beckham is probably the best fa WR available, Cooks/Juedy will cost a day 2 pick. Can use 26 to land a starting wr, but they will need some development.

My plan would be signing Beckham and a player like Randall Cobb, who shouldn't cost much now.

Aven8

Reaction score
You’re right the FA class sucks. Cobb is done. Going to have to be a trade or something as it’s just not out there. Hopefully Tolbert can actually do something

cowboyec

Reaction score
vet f/a.
and i'd like to come away with 1 or even 2 in the draft.
one i like is purdue's charlie jones.
really good route runner.
strong hands.
causes problems for a defense.
i'd like to add a receiver like that.

cowboyec

Reaction score
You’re right the FA class sucks. Cobb is done. Going to have to be a trade or something as it’s just not out there. Hopefully Tolbert can actually do something
i was disappointed in tolbert.
he was one of my favorite receivers in the last draft class...did absolutely nothing.

visionary

Reaction score
Have to put the WR upgrade in the context of the entire FA/draft plan

I think OBJ is a lock to come
I’d rather keep Hilton over Cobb

CD, OBJ, Gallup, Hilton, Tolbert and perhaps a mid/late rookie sounds good

Aven8

Reaction score
i was disappointed in tolbert.
he was one of my favorite receivers in the last draft class...did absolutely nothing.
I haven’t given up on him as he played at a small school. That was the gamble in picking someone from a small school. Years ago it was tough for most WR’s drafted to start in the NFL quickly. It might just take him time. Hopefully

Cowboyny

Reaction score
vet f/a.
and i'd like to come away with 1 or even 2 in the draft.
one i like is purdue's charlie jones.
really good route runner.
strong hands.
causes problems for a defense.
i'd like to add a receiver like that.
If the team goes to the wco, they are going to need some strong route runners. Which vet would you like?

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
Rumors I hear is this draft is strong in RBs and TEs but not WRs. If that’s the case, get a RB and TE in the draft and sign a high profile WR in free agency. This offense needs some juice added to it.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I'm talking about Cobb as our #4 receiver.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Have to put the WR upgrade in the context of the entire FA/draft plan

I think OBJ is a lock to come
I’d rather keep Hilton over Cobb

CD, OBJ, Gallup, Hilton, Tolbert and perhaps a mid/late rookie sounds good
Really don't think Hilton comes back, he just returned for a chance to win.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
If the team goes to the wco, they are going to need some strong route runners. Which vet would you like?
Looking at the list of FA WRs there's a few good choices.

Justin Watson averaged 21 yards per catch.

JuJu Smith-Schuster had nearly 1000 yards.

Allen Lazard caught 6 TDs and had nearly 800 yards.

Looks like poaching one of the Chiefs WRs is the way to go.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
He’s too often in the tub now. He was great here on his one year stint but has declined with injuries since he left.
This could also be an area where we use the draft to fill, but I rather find our #2 starter in fa or trade market.

Carson

Reaction score
Lamb, Gallup are your 1-2.

Sign a cheaper vet like Marvin Jones. Draft another guy in round 2 or 3.

Tolbert, Fehoko, Turpin round out the rest.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I’m thinking of you pay a big price for a WR you’re likely going to have to choose between that player and Lamb before all that long.

For example, Jeudys deal will be up at the same time as Lambs….can they really pay both? If not, can you afford to send multiple picks for a WR when you’re going to ignore FA otherwise?

I want them to be a run based team by a longshot, so maybe the lack of WR availability is a blessing and they go that route.

The Tolbert pick was just a killer, but hopefully that serves as proof that counting on the draft only doesn’t work.

We have to sit and hope our front office learns from their mistakes after 30 years. That’s why I have to come here and vent. Its pretty sad in fact.

visionary

Reaction score
Gotta also remember that there will IMO be a renewed effort to focus on the run game and reduce throws

Also important about who the TEs are going to be since they will need to share