CFZ What's your plan to upgrade our WR room?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
-Lamb has earned himself an extension and he should be getting one in the near future.
-Gallup has an out in his contract after next season, came back too early and was a shell of his former self.
-Brown was a miscast as a starting receiver and probably price himself off the roster now.
-Hilton most likely won't return and go back to being retired.
-Tolbert/Semi-haven't produced much at all since they were drafted.

Needs

-Team needs a legitimate #2 receiver opposite Lamb.
-Depth has to improve as our backup receivers gave the team virtually nothing.

Free Agency/Draft

-Very weak free agent class, wr's in the draft are reportedly deep, but lack any elite prospects
-Trade Market-Hopkins (will cost a high pick and we have to resign him), Cooks (Huge contract), Jeudy (High draft pick, have his option next yr)

Beckham is probably the best fa WR available, Cooks/Juedy will cost a day 2 pick. Can use 26 to land a starting wr, but they will need some development.

My plan would be signing Beckham and a player like Randall Cobb, who shouldn't cost much now.
Draft

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Have to put the WR upgrade in the context of the entire FA/draft plan

I think OBJ is a lock to come
I’d rather keep Hilton over Cobb

CD, OBJ, Gallup, Hilton, Tolbert and perhaps a mid/late rookie sounds good
Can we get some fresh blood in please

Reactions: G2

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well first I would fire the WR Coach. He has a track record of suck and he's the guy that campaigned hard for Jalen Tolbert. I think he's got to go.

I'd like to make a splash with a significant veteran FA or trade and I would hope to get another in the draft.

But I also want a TE and a RB. Emmitt was a diamond surrounded by trash. Now we need to surround trash with diamonds.

Mannix

Reaction score
Gallup will be improved (fully recovered) next season

Draft a mid to upper-mid round receiver

Bring in a Vet.

That's what you'll see. The team has more pressing needs elsewhere to do much more than that.
We and the team assume WAY TOO MUCH year to year....and cut bait WAY to late!!!

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well first I would fire the WR Coach. He has a track record of suck and he's the guy that campaigned hard for Jalen Tolbert. I think he's got to go.

I'd like to make a splash with a significant veteran FA or trade and I would hope to get another in the draft.

But I also want a TE and a RB. Emmitt was a diamond surrounded by trash. Now we need to surround trash with diamonds.
I don’t understand how you think , Emmitt was surrounded by trash. ??? Can you clarify that?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I get nervous when this franchise picks WRs and RBs.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
-Lamb has earned himself an extension and he should be getting one in the near future.
-Gallup has an out in his contract after next season, came back too early and was a shell of his former self.
-Brown was a miscast as a starting receiver and probably price himself off the roster now.

Needs

Free Agency/Draft

-Very weak free agent class, wr's in the draft are reportedly deep, but lack any elite prospects
-Trade Market-Hopkins (will cost a high pick and we have to resign him), Cooks (Huge contract), Jeudy (High draft pick, have his option next yr)

Beckham is probably the best fa WR available, Cooks/Juedy will cost a day 2 pick. Can use 26 to land a starting wr, but they will need some development.

My plan would be signing Beckham and a player like Randall Cobb, who shouldn't cost much now.
Only 6 free agent WRs had more receiving yards than Noah Brown...

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Needs

Free Agency/Draft

OBJ seems like the odds on favorite for the Cowboys to sign.

I don't see Houston getting much for Cooks but they could shed his 18M guaranteed salary in 2023 with a trade.

Jeudy still has a year remaining on his rookie contract plus the 5th year option.
- Denver needs picks.
-Jeudy doesn't really bring an experience veteran to pair with Lamb (Jeudy/Lamp will both be in year 4).

Hopkins is the exact type of Saavy veteran that I would love to have on the roster, but he has missed 15 games over the past 2 seasons (age 31 in 2023).

Hilton probably has more physical ability remaining than Cobb from what I've seen of Cobb in 2022.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Needs

Free Agency/Draft

JuJu Smith-Schuster: What type of contract will he get?

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Houston is in rebuild mode and wants draft picks. I’d give them a #3 this year or a #2 next year for Cooks.
We cannot expect a rookie WR to walk in as the #2, and a real #2 is what we have to have. I would try to get Cooks from Houston….immediate impact.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Figure out a way to get DeAndre Hopkins
Gallup should be healed from his injury and back to full strength

Find somebody who can coach Tolbert up I can't believe we can't make something out of him

Cowboyny

Reaction score
We went to run first 12 personnel base offense and it worked. Fixing the running back situation by replacing Zeke is much more important, as Lamb emerged as a bonafied #1. With an off-season in the weight program Gallup’s leg should be back to full strength. Tolbert has had a season developing, learning how to run routes. At most they’ll bring in a mid level free agent and one of those 5th round picks (hopefully someone with 4.4). Beyond that I think Shultz Weill be a priority resign… way to valuable to their scheme and even his agent has to realize no one is going to give him Kelce/Goedert type money! After his antics and manipulation Jerry wouldn’t bring Beckham in to clean the toilets… thinks that ships has sailed off the end of the earth with the other flat earthers!
No doubt, they have to fix their ground attack. Not sure Shultz returns as they could of be a deal by now

Cowboyny

Reaction score
OBJ seems like the odds on favorite for the Cowboys to sign.

I don't see Houston getting much for Cooks but they could shed his 18M guaranteed salary in 2023 with a trade.

Jeudy still has a year remaining on his rookie contract plus the 5th year option.
- Denver needs picks.
-Jeudy doesn't really bring an experience veteran to pair with Lamb (Jeudy/Lamp will both be in year 4).

Hopkins is the exact type of Saavy veteran that I would love to have on the roster, but he has missed 15 games over the past 2 seasons (age 31 in 2023).

Hilton probably has more physical ability remaining than Cobb from what I've seen of Cobb in 2022.
Think we also need to improve upon the depth as our younger prospects gave us nothing

Cowboyny

Reaction score
JuJu Smith-Schuster: What type of contract will he get?
Probably very affordable, but he is more of a possession type. Want to add speed and a receiver who goes after the football.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Houston is in rebuild mode and wants draft picks. I’d give them a #3 this year or a #2 next year for Cooks.
We cannot expect a rookie WR to walk in as the #2, and a real #2 is what we have to have. I would try to get Cooks from Houston….immediate impact.
Got to rework his desk though

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Figure out a way to get DeAndre Hopkins
Gallup should be healed from his injury and back to full strength

Find somebody who can coach Tolbert up I can't believe we can't make something out of him
Think we need to add more downfield speed and one who fights for the football, like a Hopkins. I wanted Burks last yr who fit that profile, but we really have to get more speed