What sounds odd to you may be normal to others

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
As you travel across these great United States the dialect has subtle changes. Its fun to observe what may indeed sound odd to you is normal to others.

My wife is from Ohio and we live in North Carolina. A few things that were odd at first are now normal.

Examples:

1. Soda to me was Pop to her.

2. Gravel to me was stones to her

3. Outside to me was outdoors to her.

4. Getting ready to go to me was "Get Around" to her.

Can you guys add some examples?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I see people here say things like, "The grass needs mowed.", They leave out the "to be" part. (Yes, I know, To be or not to be.) My brother's girlfriend is from PA, and she's the only person I know personally who does that,so it was kind of a relief to see that others do it too.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Here in CT, people say things like, "so ain't I" or "so didn't I", instead of "so am I" or "so did I", respectively. That was really confusing when I first moved here.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Creemee = Soft serve ice-cream. (I always get asked "what the hell is a creemee? by visitors.)

Grinder = Submarine sandwich.

Close the lights. That's a French Canadian influence from neighboring Quebec.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Creemee = Soft serve ice-cream. (I always get asked "what the hell is a creemee? by visitors.)

That's way out there for me. Very cool!:thumbup:

kskboys

Reaction score
Years ago when I worked in an office, a chick who worked for the office next door asked me "Do you see anyone?"

I turned and look at the door and replied "No".

She then asked me out!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had a fiance, and had no idea what she meant aside from strangely asking me if I saw someone.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5uS5KlfEMkOskxaLNQs-5PSDmu0cYxU8uhg&usqp=CAU I call these Overalls. My grandmother in-law called them Dungarees

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I had a buddy in the army who pronounced the days of the week "Mondee, Tuesdee, Wednesday, etc...".

He's from Florida.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As odd is it sounds (pun intended) I can listen to the tonal quality of my voice in a recorded video, etc., and it sounds much deeper than what I think inside my head. Weird.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
As odd is it sounds (pun intended) I can listen to the tonal quality of my voice in a recorded video, etc., and it sounds much deeper than what I think inside my head. Weird.
Nope same here. I just hear more twang than I think I sound like.:D

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
"Flatlander" = People from CT. :p:D
There are actually some mountainous areas in the western half of the state, and even the eastern part is somewhat hilly. When I was married, my wife and I went to visit her sister in Ft. Meyers, Fla. She told us, "You can't miss our house, we're the one on the hill." We drove right by it. It was literally about a five foot incline from the road to the house.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I hate the sound my voice on a recording. To me, I sound like Carlton the Doorman, from Rhoda. If you're not familiar, think Garfield, with a buzz.
And apparently when I sing, I sound exactly like my father. I had no idea until I recorded a song with him one day (He used to be in a few country bands) and he played it back a few minutes later after I'd left the room for a while. I came back in thinking he'd recorded over it. Lol

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
https://encrypted-tbn0.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5uS5KlfEMkOskxaLNQs-5PSDmu0cYxU8uhg&usqp=CAU I call these Overalls. My grandmother in-law called them Dungarees
Dungarees are blue jeans, so she was kinda right too.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Grinder was another one that confused me when I moved to CT. In Jersey we called them subs, hoagies, or heroes. When someone invited me to get a grinder, I thought it sounded like something painful to eat.