What successful NFL owners do and don’t do

Kaiser

Reaction score
Then pick another thread to post in. You are not the Jerry police, so you dont have to to look for every thread that mentions that our GM has gone 24 seasons w/o a div playoff win.

And you aren't the Kaiser police. You don't have to respond to every non-whiny post that doesn't arbitrarily pick 23 years as the jumping off point for whining.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Dont forget to buy new jerseys, tshirts, bumper stickers, and season tickets to fully support our "til death do us part" gm.

I've lived in California since Jerry bought the team. Your geography and reading comprehension are on par with your spelling.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We’re basically screwed. I waved my white flag years ago. I surrender Jerry. You win.
I-Surrender-608x457.jpg.cf.jpg

willia451

Reaction score
Jerry is in the Hall of Fame and Jimmy isn't. Jimmy also is not in the ring of honor.

Even though Jimmy is credited with building the team that won 3 SBs in 4 years. Doesn't matter.

That tells you everything you need to know about where the priorities of the Cowboys and the NFL really are.

What have the Cowboys done since Jimmy Johnson left? Nothing. 23 years.............of nothing. All of that nothing falls right at the feet of the current owner and GM. Jerry Jones.

As Cowboys fans, we can hope that one day, they will do something. But for right now..................we have nothing.

Don't let the haters get you down BobHaze. You are absolutely spot on. Great post.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've lived in California since Jerry bought the team. Your geography and reading comprehension are on par with your spelling.
I think you missed the joke of how Art and many of us here spell the word stadium. I often use the Jerry-esque phonetic spelling “stayjum”. So Art doesn’t have a spelling problem. That was by design. There are some people on this forum who can’t spell, and Art Clink isn’t one of them.

Last edited:

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Then pick another thread to post in. You are not the Jerry police, so you dont have to to look for every thread that mentions that our GM has gone 24 seasons w/o a div playoff win. Look for threads about how great our gm is, if you can find one. Hazey, myself, and hundreds of other posters will be busy throwing the facts back in Jerrys face, since he insists on putting winning at the bottom of his priorities while giving longtime fans the finger.

Btw I know how to spell stadium, but thanks so much for the grammar lesson. And rest up, because next year will be the silver anniversary of Cowboys playoff irrelevance, 25th anniversary of us winning our last div playoff game. If you plan on performing rebuttals against factual threads like this one, you will be very busy defending Jerry against a growing mob of angry Cowboy fans.

Dont forget to buy new jerseys, tshirts, bumper stickers, and season tickets to fully support our "til death do us part" gm.

I had to look. I blocked that idiot a long time ago. He is like the king of the computer commandos. Just ignore him. It will make for a much better user experience.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Here we go again. Rationalizing Jerry because we know we're stuck with him.

If Jerry wasn't the guy he still is today Jimmy wouldn't have left so soon. The best decision Jerry ever made was hiring Jimmy. The worst? Letting Jimmy leave because Jerry's ego got in the way.

Well, about a quarter of a century later Jerry and his ego have gotten this team nowhere. But yes, let's defend him because 1993 was fun.

That avatar is a major improvement. Partial to brunettes so that pic is ok with me.

plasticman

Reaction score
So what have the NFL owners who have won the last 23 SBs done compared to Jerry? Here is a list of what they do and don’t do:

WHAT SUCCESSFUL NFL OWNERS DO: (The ones winning the last 23 SBs)
1. Successful NFL owners hire a GM who then hires a HC. The HC is allowed to hire his own staff.
2. The GM is held accountable for results. Usually 4-5 years are considered enough time to prove they can win or at least compete for a championship by making at least a conf championship game.
3. A good GM is sometimes kept for more than one HC tenure, depending on their success or progress.
4. The owner stays out of football operations by letting the guy he hired as GM run that side of the business.
5. If the GM isn’t getting it done in 5 years, it’s usually time for a change and a new GM is hired.​

WHAT SUCCESSFUL NFL OWNERS DO NOT DO:
1. They NEVER run the football side of operations. Why? Just look at the last 23 winners of the SB. Not one owner was the GM. Zero.
2. They don’t allow ALL their kids to have jobs with no accountability. If you’re going to have your kids have jobs with the on-field results side of the business, if the team doesn’t win, changes must be made.
3. Successful NFL owners don’t hold post game press conferences because they have hired professional football people to do that and they realize by speaking to the media too much, they undermine their HC and players.
4. They never override a coach’s discipline of players. Owners can state what their values are but let the people they hire discipline the players.
This is certainly an incomplete list.
But it is crystal clear: IF YOU ARE AN NFL OWNER, AND WANT TO WIN A SUPER BOWL, THERE ARE SOME DO’S AND DON’TS TO FOLLOW OR YOUR TEAM WILL END UP WITH 24 YEARS WITH 3 PLAYOFF WINS.
I agree 100%.

Let's say I want to invest in a 5 star restaurant. They have had a history of great food by very talented chefs. I don't have any cooking experience but I have a lot of business experience.

Now, do I hire an experience Head Chef to hire staff and run the kitchen or do I appoint myself to be the Head Cook because I worked at a Denny"s part time while going to college?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I think you missed the joke of how Art and many of us here spell the word stadium. I often use the Jerry-esque phonetic spelling “stayjum”. So Art doesn’t have a spelling problem. That was by design.

That guy is way too stupid to see that. Satire, sarcasm, and metaphors are not going to register at all.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
So what have the NFL owners who have won the last 23 SBs done compared to Jerry? Here is a list of what they do and don’t do:

WHAT SUCCESSFUL NFL OWNERS DO: (The ones winning the last 23 SBs)
1. Successful NFL owners hire a GM who then hires a HC. The HC is allowed to hire his own staff.
2. The GM is held accountable for results. Usually 4-5 years are considered enough time to prove they can win or at least compete for a championship by making at least a conf championship game.
3. A good GM is sometimes kept for more than one HC tenure, depending on their success or progress.
4. The owner stays out of football operations by letting the guy he hired as GM run that side of the business.
5. If the GM isn’t getting it done in 5 years, it’s usually time for a change and a new GM is hired.​

WHAT SUCCESSFUL NFL OWNERS DO NOT DO:
1. They NEVER run the football side of operations. Why? Just look at the last 23 winners of the SB. Not one owner was the GM. Zero.
2. They don’t allow ALL their kids to have jobs with no accountability. If you’re going to have your kids have jobs with the on-field results side of the business, if the team doesn’t win, changes must be made.
3. Successful NFL owners don’t hold post game press conferences because they have hired professional football people to do that and they realize by speaking to the media too much, they undermine their HC and players.
4. They never override a coach’s discipline of players. Owners can state what their values are but let the people they hire discipline the players.
This is certainly an incomplete list.
But it is crystal clear: IF YOU ARE AN NFL OWNER, AND WANT TO WIN A SUPER BOWL, THERE ARE SOME DO’S AND DON’TS TO FOLLOW OR YOUR TEAM WILL END UP WITH 24 YEARS WITH 3 PLAYOFF WINS.

There are plenty of owners that use the GM position as a glorified chancellor to attract heat from ignorant fans while they actually ran the franchise. The Maras in NY for example have done that their entire tenure and they won several championships.

Further Jerry has shown that he can have a high degree of success with the GM title himself. We need a strong coach moreso than a GM. Talent acquisition is not a problem; scheme and discipline are.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are plenty of owners that use the GM position as a glorified chancellor to attract heat from ignorant fans while they actually ran the franchise. The Maras in NY for example have done that their entire tenure and they won several championships.

Further Jerry has shown that he can have a high degree of success with the GM title himself. We need a strong coach moreso than a GM. Talent acquisition is not a problem; scheme and discipline are.
So what would you say have been Jerry’s big accomplishments as a GM so far in the 21st century? We know what he kind of did with Jimmy at the helm.

Please explain further how the Maras are running their franchise without a GM. I guess I missed that somehow. Any other owners that have recently won SBs (since Jerry last won one) that are running their team as GM and in charge of everything “from socks and jocks” on up? I would like to know who they are.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I had to look. I blocked that idiot a long time ago. He is like the king of the computer commandos. Just ignore him. It will make for a much better user experience.

WhyJerry has me on Ignore, which explains why he posts about me every couple of days. Or something.

Kaiser

Reaction score
So what would you say have been Jerry’s big accomplishments as a GM so far in the 21st century?

Fuzzy will have his own list but mine would be -

1 - stepping back and letting Will McClay do most of the GM duties

2 - Amari Cooper trade

3 - putting together the group that has made our draft picks over the last five years.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I agree 100%.

Let's say I want to invest in a 5 star restaurant. They have had a history of great food by very talented chefs. I don't have any cooking experience but I have a lot of business experience.

Now, do I hire an experience Head Chef to hire staff and run the kitchen or do I appoint myself to be the Head Cook because I worked at a Denny"s part time while going to college?
Good analogy. Maybe we could also add to that analogy that after you named yourself head chef, you still have a lot of people coming to the restaurant despite the food being just mediocre. Lol.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fuzzy will have his own list but mine would be -

1 - stepping back and letting Will McClay do most of the GM duties

2 - Amari Cooper trade

3 - putting together the group that has made our draft picks over the last five years.
Ok. So the last nearly 25 years as GM, those would be his accomplishments. Those are some of Jerry’s “greatest hits” for sure, and he does deserve some credit for those. But if he were leading any other NFL franchise as GM, he would have been fired long ago for a lack of on-field results. I don’t think that is in dispute. Jerry has even said himself that he would have fired himself. But won’t, lol.