What the agents know

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is one very good reason for the QB, RB and WR's agents to stand their ground and if I were them I would give the club an offer than expires on the day before the season kicks off with the understanding it only goes up frpm there.

He waited to induct the triplets into the ROH together, they were his first center ring act. Then, he had Romo and win or lose, he was worth the price of admission just to watch his act. It's always been about performance.

Do you think he'd be happy with a team like the 85 Bears, 00 Ravens or 03 Bucs? That's Boringball unless you're a real diehard football fan and that's not what he's about.

More than any NFL owner, Booger is all about Starball. He's addressed the entertainment aspect of the game before and that's more important to him than the record because he's witness to it every gameday.

Why do you think he coveted Manziel from his freshman days at A&M? The next center ring act at the Big Top. Think he didn't get all misty eyed the first time Johnny Football played at ATT?

Those 3 agents know they have the upper hand, just as they would have had Bell and Brown been Cowboys, the stars shine the brightest in Dallas. And no owner loves seeing the stars shine like this one. All 3 of these get done before the season starts. Their agents know it and so does Booger and he evidently is already beginning to blink and making new offers that put all 3 in the top 5 paid at their position.

From that point on, triplets will represent something different...…..$$$.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is one very good reason for the QB, RB and WR's agents to stand their ground and if I were them I would give the club an offer than expires on the day before the season kicks off with the understanding it only goes up frpm there.

He waited to induct the triplets into the ROH together, they were his first center ring act. Then, he had Romo and win or lose, he was worth the price of admission just to watch his act. It's always been about performance.

Do you think he'd be happy with a team like the 85 Bears, 00 Ravens or 03 Bucs? That's Boringball unless you're a real diehard football fan and that's not what he's about.

More than any NFL owner, Booger is all about Starball. He's addressed the entertainment aspect of the game before and that's more important to him than the record because he's witness to it every gameday.

Why do you think he coveted Manziel from his freshman days at A&M? The next center ring act at the Big Top. Think he didn't get all misty eyed the first time Johnny Football played at ATT?

Those 3 agents know they have the upper hand, just as they would have had Bell and Brown been Cowboys, the stars shine the brightest in Dallas. And no owner loves seeing the stars shine like this one. All 3 of these get done before the season starts. Their agents know it and so does Booger and he evidently is already beginning to blink and making new offers that put all 3 in the top 5 paid at their position.

From that point on, triplets will represent something different...…..$$$.

Great theory.

But do you actually think that these agents are "colluding" on this?

They're individuals, with individual goals. You need only sign one, Amari Cooper. You do that, and you can call any bluff the other two or their agents would like to try. Tag Prescott in 2020 and let him take the risk and play 2019 for $2 million. And let Elliott simply rot out there, a running back getting a year older and losing his spot in the machine that is the Cowboys line and running game.

Cooper is the one you have to sign.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
What if the agents for Zek, Dak and Coop got together and said.......ok, lets all three hold out at the same time? What a disaster for this franchise that would create.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What if the agents for Zek, Dak and Coop got together and said.......ok, lets all three hold out at the same time? What a disaster for this franchise that would create.

Nothing agents like better than working together for everyone's common good.
:thumbup:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great theory.

But do you actually think that these agents are "colluding" on this?

They're individuals, with individual goals. You need only sign one, Amari Cooper. You do that, and you can call any bluff the other two or their agents would like to try. Tag Prescott in 2020 and let him take the risk and play 2019 for $2 million. And let Elliott simply rot out there, a running back getting a year older and losing his spot in the machine that is the Cowboys line and running game.

Cooper is the one you have to sign.
They can't collude, any more than Bryant and Thomas' agents did. They don't need to, they know Booger's history and his need to have the stars on the field.

While I enjoyed that season from the brink turnaround, that created a problem for the FO. To the casual fans, that turnaround was simple, add Cooper and fix everything. Without that trade, what is the QB's value now? Those 8 wins, they go on his side of the ledger as that is his most salient point, that 66% win rate. And he scored as many rushing TDs as the star RB.

If you're an agent with a star Cowboy, easy street.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe all 3 are buying into the fact that this is the most recognized team in sports around the globe. And the lost valuable team in sports. And think just because of that they feel they should get a premium to their pay.

If so, then I side with the team, as they should not hold themselves above that. No way I feel they are colluding, but individually they may think that.

Just my conspiracy theory thought of the day. :laugh:

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Maybe off topic, but you're out of your mind if you think the 85 Bears team was "boring ball."

Those guys intimidated people, humbled people, and then ran up the scoreboard in the meantime on them. They weren't putting up 7-10 points in a game like the 2000 Ravens were; they dominated people man!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Prescott can't hold out or his agent would be talking to every one of those endorsement clients of his. Both sides know it can never get to that for either side. And Cooper will make 14M on this contract, he'd be dumb to hold out.

I don't like the whole hold out thing but if Elliott were my son, this is exactly what I would be advising him to do. And people who get upset with him on the basis of "they built the offense around him, how can he do this"? They're blaming the wrong person. You build your dinner around steak and the price goes up, don't blame the butcher.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I wish the 2019 Cowboy defense would be as boring as the 85 Bears, 00 Ravens, or the 03 Bucs.
I thought they quite exciting with Jim McMahon and the best defense ever. Of course not when they trounced the Cowboys something like 47-7

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They can't collude, any more than Bryant and Thomas' agents did. They don't need to, they know Booger's history and his need to have the stars on the field.

I'm sorry, but this feels like a huge reach in another effort to blame Jerry Jones.

While I enjoyed that season from the brink turnaround, that created a problem for the FO. To the casual fans, that turnaround was simple, add Cooper and fix everything. Without that trade, what is the QB's value now? Those 8 wins, they go on his side of the ledger as that is his most salient point, that 66% win rate. And he scored as many rushing TDs as the star RB.

Fine. I'll call both you and their bluff. And let everyone risk injury playing through the season. I won't be held hostage by any player or agent. And here's the history, NFL owners never are and never have been. That's why they pocket the lion's share of the money.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe off topic, but you're out of your mind if you think the 85 Bears team was "boring ball."

Those guys intimidated people, humbled people, and then ran up the scoreboard in the meantime on them. They weren't putting up 7-10 points in a game like the 2000 Ravens were; they dominated people man!

I took it as he meant most people want to see offense and not defense as they find low scoring boring.

Like many people do not like hockey or soccer because it is not high scoring. But id they took time to understand it and know the rules and premise of the game, they may like it.

Just as some find baseball boring as there is not a continuing action on the field.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Agree 100%. If you’re an agent for a Cowboys skill position player on offense- especially WR- cash registers will ring. Jerry has shown that he loves him some star receivers, QBs and maybe RBs. I still don’t think Jerry really understands how to win in the salary cap era. We’ve all been waiting over two decades to see if he can ever learn the delicate balance between drafting talent, keeping the talent under a cap system, and then hiring a coaching staff good enough to master the rapid adaptability required to win in the NFL.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe all 3 are buying into the fact that this is the most recognized team in sports around the globe. And the lost valuable team in sports. And think just because of that they feel they should get a premium to their pay.

If so, then I side with the team, as they should not hold themselves above that. No way I feel they are colluding, but individually they may think that.

Just my conspiracy theory thought of the day. :laugh:
LOL, it's not a conspiracy and there are no rules against agents talking with each other. And my point was about what they know, not collectively. Every agent knows what they know.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Hey CC, I like off topic and you are right about the mind thing but I am comparing that team to today's NFL. The Bears were great on D and led the league in rushing but they were 20th in passing and except for McMahon's headbands, they weren't sexy. The most exciting thing was a 350lb DT, that sound like the Cowboys or Booger to you?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I don’t like it when players try to hold teams hostage.

Negotiations are what the offseason is for.

Then the team should have gotten this done in the off season.

Your silly "hold the team hostage" comment though ... really speaks to a belief that players should give up any leverage they have.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree 100%. If you’re an agent for a Cowboys skill position player on offense- especially WR- cash registers will ring. Jerry has shown that he loves him some star receivers, QBs and maybe RBs. I still don’t think Jerry really understands how to win in the salary cap era. We’ve all been waiting over two decades to see if he can ever learn the delicate balance between drafting talent, keeping the talent under a cap system, and then hiring a coaching staff good enough to master the rapid adaptability required to win in the NFL.

If it were up to Jerry, the three of these guys would already be signed - and overpaid.

This is Spaulding trying to show what a tough negotiator he is.

While the contracts for each and every position go up and up and up...