CFZ What the Eagles game reveals/reinforces about the Cowboys

CCBoy

Reaction score
This is what happens when you have bad coaching that doesnt hold players accountable. Been that way since parcells
No this is where one ends when there is not strong enough accountability for mistakes and focus on execution does not always have bottom line accountability. Youthful emotion drives through a game...execution wins it. There is a gap in why there are lapses and that is determined on rehearsal and reinforcement. There is missed execution focus when all is actually on the line.

Cooks is no where to be seen with nothing accomplished but occupying a single defender. Pollard is not seeking space and doing a technique not creating space and explosion, both. Big plays and drives are being killed with penalties. Red Zone opportunity for the team still does not exist.

All of that accountability is on coaching, not Jerry for any reason at present.

Blackrain

Reaction score
After an incredibly disappointing loss, and after the emotions of frustration and disappointment subside, there are plenty of opportunities to assess what this game and this point of the season reveals about the Cowboys.

The Cowboys are what their record shows it to be. At 5-3 they are a good but not great team with some obvious strengths and weaknesses. Here are some of my assessments about this team - good and bad:
  • Yeah our fans are frustrated with the refs BUT - this team has an obvious problem with penalties. It is undisciplined. Lining up offsides, false starts, delays of game, and a tackle failing to report as an eligible receiver are not “bad calls” by the refs. They are signs that this team lacks attention to detail.
  • We have a good enough QB to win with. I don’t want to spend any time on the most tired topic on this forum but QB is not THE problem here.
  • We have found an outstanding K in Brandon Aubrey. He’s the most reliable player on the team currently.
  • Cedee Lamb is the best offensive weapon we have.
  • Our defense is good but it is not great. Parsons is obviously a beast but he has not been consistent. I actually wonder if he’s being used properly. Quinn has built a good defense but it still lacks the ability to impose its will without a big lead.
  • The OL is inconsistent. Tyron Smith is a shell of what he was and completely unreliable, Terance Steele is either not fully healed or has digressed, Zack Martin is still very good but no longer great.
  • The running game is sub par. Is it the OL problems? Is Pollard not suited for the role he’s playing? (That’s what I think) It’s obvious they don’t have enough depth and punch in the running game. Not addressing this in the draft or at the trade deadline was mistake.
  • Mike McCarthy is an upgrade from Garrett. Thats obvious. But his teams lack discipline and attention to detail. This is the third year in a row we have seen the same problems with sloppy play, penalties and problems executing early in games.
  • Our front office is way too comfortable not taking chances. This is a good roster. But if any of us are honest, we aren’t in the same league as eagles and niners with roster depth.
There are certainly lots more to this team. And we’re just about halfway through the season. But this team seems strikingly similar to so many of the other Cowboys teams we’ve seen the last 15 years; there’s talent, but not enough. The coaching is good at times but not consistent. The only consistency in this organization if the old face dominating this franchise.
Another great analysis bullet I really appreciate your posts on this forum.
I was at least happy to see 100% effort from everyone that way things were much easier to analyze our quarterback did everything he was capable of doing within his skill set he understood the urgency of the moment he sacrificed his body and ran whenever he could and he protected the ball no turnovers or interceptions the rest of the team protected the ball.
This game wants again showed that might makes right and we just did not have enough power to win this game it wasn't for lack of effort.
We are also not coached well enough to win these games McCarthy is just not a wartime heat of the moment coach.
And as usual our front office in failing to prepare prepared us to fail in these big moments by not making an offer they couldn't refuse for Derrick Henry at the trade deadline.

That is the finisher the guy that could be the closer in situations like this when you need that 4 in you need the 2-point conversion and you have 3 minutes to go Time to kill and need to put a touchdown on the board instead we become one dimensional and let them exploit our weakness in Terence steel and lose the game

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good list but you can’t overlook the fact that once again Dak and MM melted under pressure and couldn’t accept the game Philly was trying to hand them. Forget everything else and just look at that final drive. Philly gave up penalty after penalty to keep the drive alive and we end up with first and goal on the 6 yard line with 27 seconds. Then the complete meltdown. No poise. No execution. We go false start, incompletion , sack, delay of game, and the final throw had no chance bc it wasn’t thrown to the end zone. Common !

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
No this is where one ends when there is not strong enough accountability for mistakes and focus on execution does not always have bottom line accountability. Youthful emotion drives through a game...execution wins it. There is a gap in why there are lapses and that is determined on rehearsal and reinforcement. There is missed execution focus when all is actually on the line.

Cooks is no where to be seen with nothing accomplished but occupying a single defender. Pollard is not seeking space and doing a technique not creating space and explosion, both. Big plays and drives are being killed with penalties. Red Zone opportunity for the team still does not exist.

All of that accountability is on coaching, not Jerry for any reason at present.
Its on Jerry because no real coach will coach for jerry.

Cooks was open on the play to schoon

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Same %#*$# for 30 years. Different coaches, different QBs, different defenses, always choking in the big games.

Solution? Give a new GM a shot. Won't happen.

I'll go back in my hole. Wake me up when Jerry croaks. Maybe Stephen will surprise us all.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
After an incredibly disappointing loss, and after the emotions of frustration and disappointment subside, there are plenty of opportunities to assess what this game and this point of the season reveals about the Cowboys.

The Cowboys are what their record shows it to be. At 5-3 they are a good but not great team with some obvious strengths and weaknesses. Here are some of my assessments about this team - good and bad:
  • Yeah our fans are frustrated with the refs BUT - this team has an obvious problem with penalties. It is undisciplined. Lining up offsides, false starts, delays of game, and a tackle failing to report as an eligible receiver are not “bad calls” by the refs. They are signs that this team lacks attention to detail.
  • We have a good enough QB to win with. I don’t want to spend any time on the most tired topic on this forum but QB is not THE problem here.
  • We have found an outstanding K in Brandon Aubrey. He’s the most reliable player on the team currently.
  • Our defense is good but it is not great. Parsons is obviously a beast but he has not been consistent. I actually wonder if he’s being used properly. Quinn has built a good defense but it still lacks the ability to impose its will without a big lead.
  • The OL is inconsistent. Tyron Smith is a shell of what he was and completely unreliable, Terance Steele is either not fully healed or has digressed, Zack Martin is still very good but no longer great.
  • The running game is sub par. Is it the OL problems? Is Pollard not suited for the role he’s playing? (That’s what I think) It’s obvious they don’t have enough depth and punch in the running game. Not addressing this in the draft or at the trade deadline was mistake.
  • Mike McCarthy is an upgrade from Garrett. Thats obvious. But his teams lack discipline and attention to detail. This is the third year in a row we have seen the same problems with sloppy play, penalties and problems executing early in games.
  • Our front office is way too comfortable not taking chances. This is a good roster. But if any of us are honest, we aren’t in the same league as eagles and niners with roster depth.
There are certainly lots more to this team. And we’re just about halfway through the season. But this team seems strikingly similar to so many of the other Cowboys teams we’ve seen the last 15 years; there’s talent, but not enough. The coaching is good at times but not consistent. The only consistency in this organization if the old face dominating this franchise.
The lining up offsides is just so frustrating. I mean these guys have been playing football their whole lives, you just can't do that. This team has done this way too much these last few years. I thought when lunkheads like Gregory were gone this would stop - but no it hasn't. In close games those little things like that are magnified and always end up costing you. Those things begin and should end with the coaches, there is no and has been no accountability for the players for far too long in that regard.
As far as the delay of games- I don't get it. In the beginning of the year the Cowboys were getting plays in fast, breaking the huddle and hiking the ball with plenty of time on the play clock. I loved that decisiveness and fast tempo. Such a refreshing change from the last few years. First thing I noticed about MMs new offense this year. Yesterday, they were hiking with 2, 1, and 00 on the play clock what seemed like all game. Was it the crowd noise? What happened there? It drove me nuts all afternoon and that proved to be costly too.

Cmac

Reaction score

You've captured why some Board posters haven't experienced a SB winning team. I feel bad for you all, I really do. It's an Ego-curse that Jerry doesn't even realize. Place Jimmy in the Ring of Honor and the curse will be over. Mama Goo Goo told me.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have a good enough QB, if he wasnt demanding top money and we had pay off his deferred bonus'. Its no good mentioning: Defense, Running Game and OLine not being good enough because the reality is that Dak will have to suffer deficiencies in these areas to compensate for his contract. We havent got the roster of the 9ers and Eagles because we're paying top dollars and fudging Dak's contract into 2024/25.

This is the classic nuance about Love/Hate Dak, there's a middle ground of us that say .... he needs weapons to help him as he cant raise his game when needed.

You can complain about the 'comfortable' FO, but as you mention there are holes in nearly every area of the roster, TOO MANY to fill at the trade deadline.
Two questions:
  1. Isn’t the front office responsible for managing the cap and providing players for the roster that make it all work?
  2. The eagles operate under the same cap rules as we do. Jalen Hurts is being paid more than Dak. Why then are they able to “afford” more talent and make more roster moves than us?
Answer to both questions: Because they have a much better GM who understands how to manage the cap and build a quality roster than we do.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

great post. the OL play sucks. we change OL scheme and its not working. it feels like they have a wait and react approach, specially on pass blocking and they are blocking on their heels, which puts them at a disadvantage. as opposed to get your hands on the defender and control him. we have a big physical OL and we play finesse style. even in the running game, they are playing more zone blocking, than just push the man in front of you and let the RB pick his hole. this is not working for this OL and I am afraid its too late in the season to change and coaches are too stubborn.

ryanbabs

Reaction score
The Jones boys thinking that Pollard is a bell cow back goes right in line with them thinking Cole Beasley was a #1 receiver a few years back. This team needs a true team builder.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
The guys in stripes have to call this - a DT clearly lining up offsides, a ST player yanking a facemask on a non-returnable kickoff, a tackle failing to report as an eligible receiver in an unbalanced formation, a critical delay of game, multiple false starts…

Hey NFL refs have been inconsistent for years but the Cowboys have a serious penalty problem. Especially pre-snap penalties. They are clearly undisciplined and have a bad lack of attention to detail. And when you play really good teams on the road, you can’t win with that kind undisciplined play.
No doubt that some things are certainly deserved. The presnap stuff is 100% on the Cowboys, holding or PI calls adminstration you just want to see it called equally.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No doubt that some things are certainly deserved. The presnap stuff is 100% on the Cowboys, holding or PI calls adminstration you just want to see it called equally.
Penalties called yesterday:
  • Dallas 10/83
  • Filly 10/98
Hard to argue that things were not equal.

Rayman70

Reaction score
it reveals we have a very thin margin for error and must win with a certain formula. When we don't, we struggle to get a win.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Two questions:
  1. Isn’t the front office responsible for managing the cap and providing players for the roster that make it all work?
  2. The eagles operate under the same cap rules as we do. Jalen Hurts is being paid more than Dak. Why then are they able to “afford” more talent and make more roster moves than us?
Answer to both questions: Because they have a much better GM who understands how to manage the cap and build a quality roster than we do.
Not arguing about FO, but moving forward we can't afford Dak unless he can convert such opportunities, as his next contract (if given) will have a detrimental effect on the O-Line.
As for Hurts, he has 3 years of reasonable CAP hit, where they can compete, with Dak's deferred CAP (not all his fault) we aren't given that luxury.
If Dak wants top of the market money, he better take out life assurance as the line may end up seriously under strength.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Same %#*$# for 30 years. Different coaches, different QBs, different defenses, always choking in the big games.

Solution? Give a new GM a shot. Won't happen.

I'll go back in my hole. Wake me up when Jerry croaks. Maybe Stephen will surprise us all.
From your mouth to gods' ear

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bob post is spot on. We still have weaknesses and come up short in talent . I can’t help but think the leadership from the top is core issue.

But I can’t help but agree or at least ponder your thoughts, that we seem jinxed .

We just keep finding new ways to lose . A TD that’s not a TD. A 2 point conversion that a foot barely steps out. I mean come on. We keep finding new ways to lose. Reminded me of the Dez catch. Similar heartbreaking loss.

We can dissect it to death. Bob hit on most of the better points. But in a game that was ours to win we found a way to lose.

There might be something greater at play that we simply can’t overcome or not good enough to overcome . Sometimes it’s just not meant to be. The monkey or in this case gorilla is too heavy to get off our backs.

It’s really unsettling as I sit here after waking up unable to get back to sleep. Tough tough backbreaking heartbreaking loss leaves me thinking not only are we not great enough but it’s simply not our time. The football gods aren’t with us.
And that is how Philly has 3 other wins this year. Other teams had the game and found ways to lose. Minnesota game comes to mind, both Washington games as well.

Brooksey

Reaction score

I don't like moving Parsons all over I know some do. The advantage is it doesn't let teams scheme for him or run at him etc but it's hurting his performance.

The pressure is just not there like it was when he was full-time edge.

I wanna see Micah on one end, D Law on the other, with more Sam Williams/Fowler