CFZ What the lack of urgency in this draft tells us

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was not an exciting draft, even the QB picks were nothing special and there were no Hollywood WR's. And the Cowboys treated it as such.

The talking heads could only muster excitement because of trades. It was really a boring draft. Even the NFL realized that and decided they needed a loud and annoying cover band and more drunk fans channeling KISS.

Other than breaking the pattern and going DT in the 1st, which may prove to be the only real difference maker out of this draft. The LB might be something as he is an all over the field player.

But what does the lack of action by the Cowboys tell us? They think they are fine just where they are. No need to add a Hollywood TE, or a stud RB or a stud OL, they like their guys.

In that regard, this is the 2009 draft when they thought all they needed was depth and ST.

In 2022, the Cowboys were in the 3rd position in the NFC and I think they feel nothing has changed, they are still relevant and within striking distance of the Eagles and Niners. Forget the Lions, Giants and Seahawks, they do not matter.

There was much happiness with the moves the Cowboys made in the off season with the acquisitions made, and justifiably so as they usual make no noise. However, that came at a cost. In the GM's mind, that moved the needle so the draft wasn't as critical as usual and going into the season with a thin OL and WR corps doesn't seem to concern him.

This draft illustrated the real difference between a GM that really wants to win because he has to and one that just wants to be relevant and the most covered by the media. The Cowboys went about this as if they've already arrived; the Eagles went about it as if they're not there yet.

All around, it was a pretty lackluster draft and the Cowboys sure played their part in that. Because there is no hurry to get better, they feel they're good enough.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I look at the 1st 3 picks, though not sexy picks by some fans standards. But who cares about that.
I look at them as pieces to the puzzle being added, but far from complete. But along with players added over the past few drafts, as well as the trades they made this offseason. Keeping some of their own key FA. It helps complete that puzzle. None alone will be a huge impact (except Mazi, but he too still may take a few years for the pass rushing part), but together it makes the team better.

Like positioning the chess pieces but still waiting to go for the check mate.
Rounds 4 through 7 more of a 2024 and beyond approach, if they make it that far, except Vaughn could help right away.

Underwhelming overall but blended in with the current talent, not bad either.

CowboyinMD

Reaction score
Well, I look at it from a different slant.

They are only going to go as far as Dak is going to take them. Let's be real. In the end, as in against SF in the post season the last couple years, Dallas will lose or live for another Sunday largely because of what Dak does or doesn't do. And I think because they are 'stuck' with him, yes they're trying to find the best players, but by the same token they're not being overly aggressive drafting up to get 'the guy to move them over the top' because with Dak at the helm, they're not just one player from being over the top. It's not like Cincy or Philly or Baltimore where they're either still riding on a rookie QB contract or just paid their stud QB.

It is what it is. Right now it's best to just keep the roster as solid as they can as they ride out these next couple of years of Dak's contract without being overly aggressive. If Burrow was our QB, I'd feel completely different if I were the GM. But I would seriously keep an eye on the QB class of 2024-25-26. Dak's going to get another chance this year, but it's obvious his window is closing.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Philly improved their team. The Cowboys didn't.
Philly's owner demanded that of his GM. All but two of these GM's were expected to improve their team's rosters.

It's very simple. The Cowboys owner tells the fans look at our stars, our stadium, our cheerleaders, our coverage, our profits and our pizazz but most of all, look at me. It is the ultimate white collar team.

The Eagles owner can only tell their fans look at the team. Like most other owners, for him it's all about what happens on the field and they have always been blue collar.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Silly statement....1st DT we have drafted in the 1st round since Maryland and instantly upgrades the defense...TE is the best blocking TE we have by far. Got a very good LB that is a tackling missile and a few other pieces that can certainly help.

The Cowboys improved for sure
That's good if the pieces contribute to overall improvement as a team but that is unknown at this point for all of the teams. How the pieces fit is the key.

CampJR

Reaction score
You guys have said the same **** every year for the last 8-10 and yet we’ve been probably the best drafting team in the league. Trust the process..

You didn’t like Tfred
Martin wasn’t sexy
Zeke was the flashy player
Tyler another we “reached” on
Parsons…”we needed a CB”

1st round trench players just make the team better

Nolan doesn’t see the field with Parsons and Lawrence on this team.

Torrance doesn’t see the field when Tyron is healthy

Top 2 RB’s were gone, which is really the only position that would have made a large impact

Last edited:

Jarntt

Reaction score
In that regard, this is the 2009 draft when they thought all they needed was depth and ST.
I don't get why people keep saying this. Personally, and not a shot at you because many have stated it, I think it's an absolutely ridiculous narrative and a lame attempt at passive aggressively taking a shot at one of the better (at a minimum top half) drafting teams in the league. But, I remember a lot of people said it last year too and last year turned out pretty darn well. So, I guess it is just Cowboy fans way of saying they didn't take who I wanted, which is short sighted and very inaccurate IMO

DFWJC

Reaction score
I wouldn't have taken the same players the Cowboys took but we'll see how it goes.
tomAtoes, tomAHtoes

Fwiw, they did use 2 draft picks to get
Stephon Gilmore
Brandin Cooks

in addition to what they got over the weekend.

The 2nd round pick shocked me a bit, especially with the beast OG O'Cyrus sitting right there for them (or several others)
but again...guess we'll see

Creeper

Reaction score
I am okay with this draft. I don't know how you put a grade on it without having seen any of these players play a down in the NFL. I think Mazi Smith has an excellent chance to succeed in the NFL because he comes with strength and he works hard. He doesn't need motivations to get in shape. He is motivated by his desire to succeed.

The TE to me was not a major need but he has potential for a 2nd round pick.

They have a lot of LBs not. They needed a replacement for Gifford and they got one who may be much better. Is it a lights out pick? I don't know. They already have Clark and Cox. I still like Cox a lot coming out of college but he can;t get on the field and stay there. Obviously the Cowboys coaches don't like him as much as I do.

I think Asim Richards looks the part and shows one trait I love in OL. He sticks on his blocks and does not let up until the play is over. He could be the sleeper. I am guessing they will try to move him inside, and maybe he becomes our LG in a year or 2.

I hope Deuce Vaughn makes it but realistically, he will be a spot player and not someone carrying the ball 20 times a game. If he gets 10 touches, I will be surprised. I would love to see him gain about 10 lbs. without losing his quickness.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I don't get why people keep saying this. Personally, and not a shot at you because many have stated it, I think it's an absolutely ridiculous narrative and a lame attempt at passive aggressively taking a shot at one of the better (at a minimum top half) drafting teams in the league. But, I remember a lot of people said it last year too and last year turned out pretty darn well. So, I guess it is just Cowboy fans way of saying they didn't take who I wanted, which is short sighted and very inaccurate IMO
yeah, its nothing remotely like 2009

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Philly improved their team. The Cowboys didn't.
No question they improved their team from where there were on Wednesday but remember they had lost many pieces from last years puzzle. It will not be known until the season gets going if what they did in the draft will bring them back to where they were last year. Dallas has a few holes but didn’t really lose any major pieces from last year. They did fill some of those holes with solid veterans and draft picks. The defense should be even better this year and so it really is going to be about Dak and the offensive changes McCarthy makes. If the offense takes a step forward, Dallas should be able to compete with anyone on a weekly basis.

75boyz

Reaction score
Well, I look at it from a different slant.

They are only going to go as far as Dak is going to take them. Let's be real. In the end, as in against SF in the post season the last couple years, Dallas will lose or live for another Sunday largely because of what Dak does or doesn't do. And I think because they are 'stuck' with him, yes they're trying to find the best players, but by the same token they're not being overly aggressive drafting up to get 'the guy to move them over the top' because with Dak at the helm, they're not just one player from being over the top. It's not like Cincy or Philly or Baltimore where they're either still riding on a rookie QB contract or just paid their stud QB.

It is what it is. Right now it's best to just keep the roster as solid as they can as they ride out these next couple of years of Dak's contract without being overly aggressive. If Burrow was our QB, I'd feel completely different if I were the GM. But I would seriously keep an eye on the QB class of 2024-25-26. Dak's going to get another chance this year, but it's obvious his window is closing.
My gosh,
I sure agree with every word here but can only pray that another extension is not looming on the horizon.

On the one hand this is a very truthful post based in reality and on the other hand I just hope the ending is as you described and not another slow death contract extension we've been forced to endure these last 7 years at the QB position.

Fingers crossed.