CFZ What the lack of urgency in this draft tells us

75boyz

Reaction score
All we need to recall about the Eagles is the Dream Team and penciled in as the SB champs.

Roseman is lucky because he has an owner that is as risk oriented as he is and it's not always about the results. That Dream Team failed miserably but the fans gave them credit for rolling the dice and going for it.

I don't think a lot of people realize just how comfortable Booger is being relevant and leading in coverage, profits and value. He would rather be a payer form 10 years and be releavtn than win one and start to fade like the Rams have. The only thing anyone was talking about the Rams were their draft digs in Malibu.

And to be fair, there isn't another team like the Dallas Cowboys with the media in the history of sports, not the Celtics, Yankees or Lakers, none even come close. If I owned that, I don't know if I'd stay up at night trying to figure out how to get another ring.

Of all the teams in the NFL, the Dallas Cowboys stand to gain the least by winning a SB. They win by just being.
CouchCoach mancrush alert.
Post #55 was an absolute all timer.
Now you follow it up with this master piece.

Don't stop.
The truth is so refreshing to read after scrolling past my extensive "share ignored content" list.
It's grown to be a lengthy one, lol.

pitt33

Reaction score
Well, I look at it from a different slant.

They are only going to go as far as Dak is going to take them. Let's be real. In the end, as in against SF in the post season the last couple years, Dallas will lose or live for another Sunday largely because of what Dak does or doesn't do. And I think because they are 'stuck' with him, yes they're trying to find the best players, but by the same token they're not being overly aggressive drafting up to get 'the guy to move them over the top' because with Dak at the helm, they're not just one player from being over the top. It's not like Cincy or Philly or Baltimore where they're either still riding on a rookie QB contract or just paid their stud QB.

It is what it is. Right now it's best to just keep the roster as solid as they can as they ride out these next couple of years of Dak's contract without being overly aggressive. If Burrow was our QB, I'd feel completely different if I were the GM. But I would seriously keep an eye on the QB class of 2024-25-26. Dak's going to get another chance this year, but it's obvious his window is closing.
I agree.

It comes down to the quarterback.

Every year.

For every team.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1st round drafted the best athlete and best run stopper DL in the draft. No takeaway?

3rd round drafted a linebacker many are saying is the best off ball backer in the draft. No takeaway?

5th round. Traded for a top 12 WR
5th round. Traded for a top 5 CB

6th Round. Drafted a 2X all American who led the nation in yards from scrimmage from a Power 5 school.

Most “pundits” are giving The Cowboys A’s or High B’s at the lowest for this draft.

I know this does nothing for people who are negative Nancy’s and are downtrodden so much that they’ll never be happy. But it really was a great three days for the Cowboys and you will see and hopefully be man enough to own up.
I love this post.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
It was not an exciting draft, even the QB picks were nothing special and there were no Hollywood WR's. And the Cowboys treated it as such.

The talking heads could only muster excitement because of trades. It was really a boring draft. Even the NFL realized that and decided they needed a loud and annoying cover band and more drunk fans channeling KISS.

Other than breaking the pattern and going DT in the 1st, which may prove to be the only real difference maker out of this draft. The LB might be something as he is an all over the field player.

But what does the lack of action by the Cowboys tell us? They think they are fine just where they are. No need to add a Hollywood TE, or a stud RB or a stud OL, they like their guys.

In that regard, this is the 2009 draft when they thought all they needed was depth and ST.

In 2022, the Cowboys were in the 3rd position in the NFC and I think they feel nothing has changed, they are still relevant and within striking distance of the Eagles and Niners. Forget the Lions, Giants and Seahawks, they do not matter.

There was much happiness with the moves the Cowboys made in the off season with the acquisitions made, and justifiably so as they usual make no noise. However, that came at a cost. In the GM's mind, that moved the needle so the draft wasn't as critical as usual and going into the season with a thin OL and WR corps doesn't seem to concern him.

This draft illustrated the real difference between a GM that really wants to win because he has to and one that just wants to be relevant and the most covered by the media. The Cowboys went about this as if they've already arrived; the Eagles went about it as if they're not there yet.

All around, it was a pretty lackluster draft and the Cowboys sure played their part in that. Because there is no hurry to get better, they feel they're good enough.
The lack of urgency from the FO is due to the unaccountability factor. Neither of the main two are getting fired. Nepotism rules in these here parts. Heck, let's just draft the scout's son just because we can. We need a feel good story. The common denominator these past three decades of playoff failure has Jones written on it.

Carter

Reaction score
OR....

Just spitballing here. This draft class was particularly unexciting because it lacked exciting prospects - much like 2009 and 2013.

The Cowboys had only 4 positions where players could be drafted with a real opportunity to start on a team that was top 5 in offensive scoring in 3 of the last 4 years: Defensive Tackle, Tight End, Offensive Guard, and Running back. They spent their first two picks on players who can immediately start at DT and TE. They spent their 5th & 6th round picks on the other two positions, and did a little pre-planning for the future by drafting a LB and DE in the 3rd & 4th rounds. Smith will exponentially improve the run defense for the Cowboys, and Schoonmaker was the best blocking tight end in the draft that didn't have any medical issues (such as Washington). Schoonmaker will be a better blocker than Schultz, and the Cowboys already drafted the receiving tight end to replace Schultz in the 2022 draft (Ferguson.)

As for the Running back position, they drafted a 2-time consensus first team All-American who carried the load at Kansas State, with 1936 yards and 12 TD's last season. Yes, he's small; but he's super-productive. And they have a plan at OG, which apparently escapes the understanding of fans and pundits. The Cowboys have drafted 6 Olinemen in the past 4 drafts, and landed another starter from the undrafted ranks - Terence Steele. That is 7 young players in their first 4 seasons with Dallas - one whom has already made a Pro Bowl, and 3 of whom have become starters. Perhaps, (I know this is just CRAzY, cRAZy, CrAzy) they want to give the other 4 players they've already drafted in 2021, 2022 and 2023 a chance to win the starting LG spot. But just in case they don't, they brought in a former 3rd round pick from the 2019 draft who is only 25 years old to fill the spot.

You may disagree with the plan the Cowboys have. But let's not pretend they aren't already addressing the issue on the Oline. They've been addressing it for the last 3 years, and have already been rewarded with 3 competent to above average starters with big upsides. Only Tyron and Zack remain, but can you really blame the Cowboys for not kicking two future HOF players to the curb? Zack remains one of the best two Guards in the NFL, and when healthy, Tyron is one of the 2-3 best Tackles in the league. So what if Tyron get's hurt? The Cowboys have already proven they have the players on the roster to replace him. But if he's healthy, you play him. He's still the best option for the Cowboys and any NFL team until he gets hurt.

I don't agree with the Cowboys betting on Tony Pollard. But he was the best back on the roster last year. And the Cowboys got a former top 40 draft pick from the 2018 draft who is only 25 years old to back him up, while drafting a 2-time All American who was super productive in college to give him a breather.

The Cowboys don't have a lot of holes on their roster, but they capably filled them this off-season. You play the games one season at a time. The Cowboys are well set up for the 2023 season. Now they just have to perform.

I agree with most that you said. Also the way DQ influenced the last drafts the Cowboys are betting that the Defense can take them further as usual because Dak certainly wont.

I still think that QB and Coaching is and will be the biggest reason if you get a SB or not. Cowboys arent elite in any of those categories. All they can hope for is that Dak stops being a turnover machine and gets back to his All Pro Level play with an easier offense that doesnt rely that heavy on his arm.

Forneymike

Reaction score
The bashing of Will McClay on this site is sad and ridiculous. He runs the drafts and makes the picks. Jerry gives his blessing but Will and his team do the leg work and scout and put together a board. Anyone who thinks Jerry or Steven even know how to do that are dumber than you think they are. Will has put together solid draft classes every year. Do some research and you will figure that out. Look at the fail rates across the league. There are cultural issues with this team that Jerry and Stephen contribute too but drafting isn’t a bigger problem here than anywhere else. Will McClay is solid and has proven himself. Most of you know little to nothing about player scouting or development. So no there’s posts aren’t fire, they lack any real thought. No great QBs in this draft probably but two really good ones next draft so trade everything to get the USC kid or the NC kid next year, they have a better shot to lead a team to the Super Bowl. There is a reason Levis dropped like an anchor and Hooker may be decent but he isn’t leading any team to a Super Bowl unless it’s a super roster.

cheftjpeck

Reaction score
Philly improved their team. The Cowboys didn't.
I disagree - the eagles retooled their team not improved - they had a great draft if all pan out - however they also lost key members of the team in the offseason
It’s not the first time I’ve heard the eagles touted as the off season superbowl champs before the first snap
The cowboys improved by grabbing blue collar players that will improve a position that needed it (if they pan out )
I will wait and see what happens when it matters before I give praises or criticism

roarr

Reaction score
Lack of urgency? If anything, this draft was TOO present focused. We got two safe players at non-top 4 positions. They were needs. Do people even pay attention to our roster?