CFZ What the lack of urgency in this draft tells us

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is but I was responding to the statement that the cowboys didn't improve, which I think is inaccurate.
Improvement would also have to take into consideration the players lost. For instance, did they improve over Schultz with Schoonmaker? Schultz was a crucial part of this offense and a comfort to the QB.

CampJR

Reaction score
The signings of Cooks and Gilmore removed the immediate need to invest heavily into those positions. Maybe you just aren’t understanding the value those two bring to this team?

morat1959

Reaction score
It was not an exciting draft, even the QB picks were nothing special and there were no Hollywood WR's. And the Cowboys treated it as such.

The talking heads could only muster excitement because of trades. It was really a boring draft. Even the NFL realized that and decided they needed a loud and annoying cover band and more drunk fans channeling KISS.

Other than breaking the pattern and going DT in the 1st, which may prove to be the only real difference maker out of this draft. The LB might be something as he is an all over the field player.

But what does the lack of action by the Cowboys tell us? They think they are fine just where they are. No need to add a Hollywood TE, or a stud RB or a stud OL, they like their guys.

In that regard, this is the 2009 draft when they thought all they needed was depth and ST.

In 2022, the Cowboys were in the 3rd position in the NFC and I think they feel nothing has changed, they are still relevant and within striking distance of the Eagles and Niners. Forget the Lions, Giants and Seahawks, they do not matter.

There was much happiness with the moves the Cowboys made in the off season with the acquisitions made, and justifiably so as they usual make no noise. However, that came at a cost. In the GM's mind, that moved the needle so the draft wasn't as critical as usual and going into the season with a thin OL and WR corps doesn't seem to concern him.

This draft illustrated the real difference between a GM that really wants to win because he has to and one that just wants to be relevant and the most covered by the media. The Cowboys went about this as if they've already arrived; the Eagles went about it as if they're not there yet.

All around, it was a pretty lackluster draft and the Cowboys sure played their part in that. Because there is no hurry to get better, they feel they're good enough.
Excellent post. Wash, rinse…repeat!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't get why people keep saying this. Personally, and not a shot at you because many have stated it, I think it's an absolutely ridiculous narrative and a lame attempt at passive aggressively taking a shot at one of the better (at a minimum top half) drafting teams in the league. But, I remember a lot of people said it last year too and last year turned out pretty darn well. So, I guess it is just Cowboy fans way of saying they didn't take who I wanted, which is short sighted and very inaccurate IMO
I feel the approach to this draft was the same as the mindset in 2009, we are set, few needs. Not comparing the picks as I think there are better picks in this draft and taking the DT automatically improves it but this team went into this draft with needs at OL, RB, WR, TE and DT and I can only think one was really addressed with a player that could be a starter.

CampJR

Reaction score
Philly improved their team. The Cowboys didn't.
Did they? Carters own Georgia coaches gave negative feedback regarding him being coachable.. does he replace Hargrave? Is Nolan a day 1 war daddy? Don’t think so..

Gardner- Johnson? TJ edwards? Seumalo?

They managed to replace Sanders with a better player.

ESisback

Reaction score
It was not an exciting draft, even the QB picks were nothing special and there were no Hollywood WR's. And the Cowboys treated it as such.

The talking heads could only muster excitement because of trades. It was really a boring draft. Even the NFL realized that and decided they needed a loud and annoying cover band and more drunk fans channeling KISS.

Other than breaking the pattern and going DT in the 1st, which may prove to be the only real difference maker out of this draft. The LB might be something as he is an all over the field player.

But what does the lack of action by the Cowboys tell us? They think they are fine just where they are. No need to add a Hollywood TE, or a stud RB or a stud OL, they like their guys.

In that regard, this is the 2009 draft when they thought all they needed was depth and ST.

In 2022, the Cowboys were in the 3rd position in the NFC and I think they feel nothing has changed, they are still relevant and within striking distance of the Eagles and Niners. Forget the Lions, Giants and Seahawks, they do not matter.

There was much happiness with the moves the Cowboys made in the off season with the acquisitions made, and justifiably so as they usual make no noise. However, that came at a cost. In the GM's mind, that moved the needle so the draft wasn't as critical as usual and going into the season with a thin OL and WR corps doesn't seem to concern him.

This draft illustrated the real difference between a GM that really wants to win because he has to and one that just wants to be relevant and the most covered by the media. The Cowboys went about this as if they've already arrived; the Eagles went about it as if they're not there yet.

All around, it was a pretty lackluster draft and the Cowboys sure played their part in that. Because there is no hurry to get better, they feel they're good enough.
Sorry CC, I just can’t agree here. I think there’s been a TON of change here, and I think we’ve gotten better, and isn’t that the bottom line?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

I'm sure alot said probably the same thing last yr about last yrs draft. Because most thought of it like that as well as the entire offseason. How is there so much pessimism about a team that finished 12-5 but most here had them a .500 team at best. They exceeded those expectations and then act like they never were in the .500 club.

Hold judgment until they actually Play a game. You know like last yr.:flagwave:

75boyz

Reaction score
I feel the approach to this draft was the same as the mindset in 2009, we are set, few needs. Not comparing the picks as I think there are better picks in this draft and taking the DT automatically improves it but this team went into this draft with needs at OL, RB, WR, TE and DT and I can only think one was really addressed with a player that could be a starter.
Exactly.

Jipper

Reaction score
Improvement would also have to take into consideration the players lost. For instance, did they improve over Schultz with Schoonmaker? Schultz was a crucial part of this offense and a comfort to the QB.
Improvement has to be measured against what you had going into the draft, can't change what was or wasn't done before going into the draft.

I think we mishandled the TE and guard situations but I do see improvement at DT, LB and edge depth. Bottom line is the team is certainly improved from where we were this time last week.

There are a couple of cool picks that have some really nice upside but only time will tell- the biggest thing is obviously Mazi and what his presence means to the rest of the defense - he is an example of how one pick can make a lot of players better.

75boyz

Reaction score
People here need to realize McClay and company don't hit home runs every year. It aint an exact science.

The 2019 class has now exceeded the 3 year to be judged window and I am less than impressed. It happens.

If I were a betting man I would side with CouchCoach on his OP here and be hopeful to get one major first year impact player starter outta this group.
And that hope comes with alot of doubt actually.

jmo

DFWJC

Reaction score
So, going by the thread's title, the Cowboys FO+coaching staff showed
no desperation, had no overreaction, and did not panic during their draft process.
Many CZ members think\feel they did all three.
well, they can think that if they want I guess.

I recall throughout the draft people picking their "need of the day" (say RB, for example) and screaming "trade up, trade up" for this or that player.
THAT is desperation
If they love a player--maybe higher on their board than they think they can get him (deserved or undeserved) and trade up, tha'st one thing. But trading up to fill a need and getting away from the team's draft board, just to fill a need, is overreaction and desperation.

Again, I wouldn't have drafted the same players, but thats beside the point.

Last edited:

JBS

Reaction score
It’s not often you post something that I agree with but this post is spot on. It’s par for the course for this franchise. They have no ability to evaluate their own situation. T

he nfc has been there for the taking for what is coming up on two years now and there is zero urgency to grab the bull by the horns and win it. But we shouldn’t expect anything different. They’ve told us many times, they’re not interesting in pushing their chips into the center of the table and going for it.

RD21

Reaction score
No question they improved their team from where there were on Wednesday but remember they had lost many pieces from last years puzzle. It will not be known until the season gets going if what they did in the draft will bring them back to where they were last year. Dallas has a few holes but didn’t really lose any major pieces from last year. They did fill some of those holes with solid veterans and draft picks. The defense should be even better this year and so it really is going to be about Dak and the offensive changes McCarthy makes. If the offense takes a step forward, Dallas should be able to compete with anyone on a weekly basis.
In fairness, I liked the DT pick.

My post was more about attitude than anything. I think the Eagles took a "hungrier" approach to the draft. Our staff seems complacent to me. No big splashes, no monster trades, no significant moves that suggest, all in... lets win now.

I expect the defense to be good, really good. Helping up front should guarantee that. Our biggest problem wasn't defense. We didn't lose in January because of our defense. I suspect falling short this year won't be because of our defense either.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm going to completely disagree with you CC. The Cowboys don't trade around. They stay where they are at and make solid picks. That isn't anything new. They stuck to their pattern of drafting who they want and not going with the flashy picks. Thank goodness!

This draft isn't anywhere close to the 2009 draft in any way. Not with the talent they added. And how can you say they drafted to just be relevant when they drafted Mazi, Schoonmaker, Overshown, Vaughn and used picks to add Gilmore and Cooks???

This was far from a lackluster draft. The Cowboys got better at many positions. DT, TE, CB, WR, RB, LB. Lots to be excited about this draft.

Jaricko

Reaction score
I find it funny. We as a fan base have been screaming for years to the Cowboys to prioritize the DT position. We finally do in the the first round and now it’s shades of the 2009 draft? That’s insane.

75boyz

Reaction score
It’s not often you post something that I agree with but this post is spot on. It’s par for the course for this franchise. They have no ability to evaluate their own situation. T

he nfc has been there for the taking for what is coming up on two years now and there is zero urgency to grab the bull by the horns and win it. But we shouldn’t expect anything different. They’ve told us many times, they’re not interesting in pushing their chips into the center of the table and going for it.
Excellent post.
Spot on.

Reactions: JBS

Cowboys22

Reaction score
In fairness, I liked the DT pick.

My post was more about attitude than anything. I think the Eagles took a "hungrier" approach to the draft. Our staff seems complacent to me. No big splashes, no monster trades, no significant moves that suggest, all in... lets win now.

I expect the defense to be good, really good. Helping up front should guarantee that. Our biggest problem wasn't defense. We didn't lose in January because of our defense. I suspect falling short this year won't be because of our defense either.
Can’t disagree with any of that but I would say Philly is simply outdoing everyone in the being actively agressive department. I much prefer their way of doing things and the results are showing. Dallas has been staying the course for 25 years while they seem to be able to completely reload in just 2 or 3 years.

75boyz

Reaction score
How can you say the Cowboys didn't? They drafted a run stuffing DT we have all been screaming for.

They drafted a TE pass catching/blocking machine at TE.

I could go on but comon' man.
You lost me at 24 yr old pass catc hing/blocking machine who was ranked what outta all the TE class?

Tap the brakes...
Follow it up with a supposed possible pseudo Jayron Kearse wannabe at LB. Not some heat seeking missile Parsons and LT clone.
No name guard and corner, A Lance Dunbar special in the 6th that is supposedly a Jim Brown miniature...

I hold out hope for the SC wideout.
I could go on but come on. I watch college football too.
LOL