What the last 23 years has done to our fan base

Fire407

Reaction score
That’s the whole point. Of course we’d need a better replacement. The prospects for that is very doubtful with Jerry’s agendas which makes its more unlikely we’ll win another Super Bowl because of Jerry’s ways. And why the sooner Jerry’s gone will our chances increase.
I said the sooner JG is gone. Jerry is going nowhere.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
First of all...not everything about the last 23 years is bad. In fact, the last several years this organization has greatly improved in drafting and talent acquisition, and this FO has clearly learned from its numerous previous mistakes in cap and roster management. Three of the last five seasons have yielded division titles and two wild card wins. That’s....well not great. But it could have been worse.

However...the last 23 years has been tough for most Cowboys fans. Three wild card wins. No conference championship games, no SBs. Especially tough for the long time fans who remember what it meant to have the realistic confidence your team would have a shot at winning it all.

Some perspective for either young fans or those who have forgotten:
  • The Cowboys played in 5 of the first 13 SBs, and played in 8 of the first 30 SBs.
  • The Cowboys have played in zero of the last 23 SBs.
  • In the 29 years of the Tex Schramm/Tom Landry era, the Cowboys won 20 playoff games. In the 30 seasons of the Jerry Jones era, the Cowboys have won 15 playoff games, 12 of them in the first 7 seasons.
  • In the 26 seasons from 1970-1995, the Cowboys played in 13 NFC Championship games. In the 23 seasons since, ZERO.
So what does a 23 year drought do to a fan base who has been disappointed year after year? What happens to the expectations and dreams those fans? Here are a few things I see:
  • We lower expectations. Most long time fans just lowered the bar we used to have. If we make the playoffs, great, but if not, it’s not a shock. It a way to soften the disappointment.
  • We long for real leadership at the top- especially at HC since we all know Jerry has a lifetime commitment to playing fantasy football. It’s why we believe in every rumor that Sean Payton is coming here or some other top HC talent. Because we desperately want some quality at the top.
  • We get used to accepting excuses- Jerry even makes excuses. Remember when he called a loss a “moral victory”? He has to be the only GM in the league that can do that. This isn’t little league or middle school sports where learning things like the fundamentals, teamwork and sportsmanship are more important than winning. I’m still amazed at the excuses our fan base throws out for losses, especially in the playoffs.
  • We blame the refs or the NFL for our losses- Most fans don’t want to hear this, but one symptom of continual disappointment is to blame others outside the team. It’s understandable in Dallas because our leader hold neither himself nor his nepotistic family members accountable for failure. Nothing changes at the top so fans start blaming people outside the team.
  • We rip each other- I’m amazed at how much some Cowboys fans rip other Cowboys fans for not drinking the Kool aid or not being cheerleaders for the team in all circumstances. I’ve noticed the fan bases of teams that have had some recent success are more accepting of dissent than those who get used to losing or mediocrity. My bro in law lives in Denver and is a broncos fan. They won a SB a few years ago and their fan base is not as critical
There are surely more “symptoms” that are associated with 23 straight years of poor bottom line performance.

What can we do?
  • Stick together- allow anyone who’s a Cowboys fan to be a fan any way they want.
  • Blame Jerry, not each other- none of us is to blame for the last 23 years. The guy who purchased his position as GM is to blame.
  • Keep hope/ditch the kool aid- I hate what’s happened to us but I still have hope. Despite the 76 yo clown in charge we do have some talent. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. And we should all be united to boo the image of Jerral Wayne Jones every time his surgically altered face is in public. Don’t buy what he is selling.
allow anyone who’s a Cowboys fan to be a fan any way they want..........I like this, some think a positive I love the coaches, and players,go cowboys
type fan is the only real fan.
I have been a fan for a long time, but the last 23 years especially the JG era has made me a pessimist.
I dont like garrett and never will, so I keep waiting for him to be gone, but he is still here year after year, it is depressing.

75boyz

Reaction score
You get that 'whining' and 'articulating an opinion' aren't synonyms for each other, right? Like, you can articulate even an extremely negative opinion without whining at the same time. Nobody takes any issue with a rationally articulated opinion. But there's a huge difference between those two things.

And, yes, it's a fact of life that opinions vary. It's equally the case that not all opinions are equal just because the people who hold them love them the same. Objectively uninformed or biased-by-an-emotional-response opinions actually do exist. People used to think Dane Cook was funny. He wasn't.

I can respect this. My position centers more around the individual and his/her own individual opinion can not be considered wrong by another individual no matter how articulated because how it is articulated, to me, makes it a component of the opinion itself.

I do totally understand your stance on the separation of the two as to
what's the basic opinion and secondly, how it's stated as being secondary.
No worries.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can respect this. My position centers more around the individual and his/her own individual opinion can not be considered wrong by another individual no matter how articulated because how it is articulated, to me, makes it a component of the opinion itself.

I do totally understand your stance on the separation of the two as to
what's the basic opinion and secondly, how it's stated as being secondary.
No worries.

Great. To be clear, I completely understand the frustration and the need to vent about it, too. It's just that for my tastes, some posters get addicted to the venting and it get sort of like barking dogs. When one dog barks a warning, it's fine. He's letting you know something is up. When all the dogs are running around barking and the neighbors' dogs are joining in, and you can't hear yourself or have a regular conversation because of all the barking, you're like, 'ok, guys. I get it. You're gave me the warning. Continuing to bark isn't helping at this point, and you're giving me a headache.'

Not to make an unflattering comparison, but that's sort of what happens on a message board. I'd rather note the bark and keep talking, even if I'm not agreeing with the person I'm taking to, it can be a nice, quiet conversation. :)

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Good post. It’s time Cowboys fans stop treating Jerry like a celebrity and give him a free pass and time to start letting him know us fans are done with his BS.
jerry is untouchable, fans dont interact with him lol he is a billionaire.
It is the media that treat him like a celebrity.
Fans have no control or power. Jerry can do whatever he wants, and he knows it. He does not care about avg fans.
If the people that go to the home games would all stop going, that would have an effect, but that wont happen.
Fans have no control or say about anything with the cowboys.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
You don’t realize Jerry was inducted for his contributions to the league. Lol

Whose uniformed?

You have beat this to death.

Wow.

How do you neatly separate the owner and the lifetime achievement ?

You can't.

I do not remember the asterisk next to his bust in Canton saying..

BTW Mr. JONES IS A BUMBLING FOOL WHEN IT COMES TO FOOTBALL

unbelievable.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This vendetta about the owner is monotonous.

You guys do realize Jerrah does stuff like draft guys like Jaylon Smith and Gregory?

He approves and pursues trades like Cooper and Earl Thomas to improve the team as GM?

He has approved the drafting of Zeke and Dak that has elevated the team exponentially?

Approved our All Pro OL with high draft picks?

Is in the HofF because he knows what he is doing..not becuz he's a rich SOB?

There will come a day he is gone and while some will celebrate..

the facts are that Stephen is not the man Jerrah is and we may take a step back not forward.

Change does not always mean success.

Some here need to show a little range in their certainty of conviction.

If you are wrong about Jerrah..

what then?

No skin off your back.

You go back to the water cooler and ***** somemore.

Easy pesy.
Come on Red, surely you’re joking....Jerry is in the HOF for how much money he made the league and its owners. Not for anything taking place with rosters, coaches, or other football related GM things. His HOF induction was as a “contributor” not GM/owner. I like Jerry the person and he’s a great businessman. But GM? He’s not very good.

Here’s a recent example of a GM being inducted into the HOF for his contributions as a GM- in 2015 Bill Polian, former Colts and Panthers GM.

Jerry Jones got his GM position not through merit or experience. He became a GM the minute his check to buy the team cleared the bank. There’s not another team in the NFL that would hire him as a GM.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Come on Red, surely you’re joking....Jerry is in the HOF for how much money he made the league and its owners. Not for anything taking place with rosters, coaches, or other football related GM things. His HOF induction was as a “contributor” not GM/owner. I like Jerry the person and he’s a great businessman. But GM? He’s not very good.

Here’s a recent example of a GM being inducted into the HOF for his contributions as a GM- in 2015 Bill Polian, former Colts and Panthers GM.

Jerry Jones got his GM position not through merit or experience. He became a GM the minute his check to buy the team cleared the bank. There’s not another team in the NFL that would hire him as a GM.
Humm..

nope.

Do not agree there.

We will leave it at that.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You have beat this to death.

Wow.

How do you neatly separate the owner and the lifetime achievement ?

You can't.

I do not remember the asterisk next to his bust in Canton saying..

BTW Mr. JONES IS A BUMBLING FOOL WHEN IT COMES TO FOOTBALL

unbelievable.
Then you must have missed it. It was clearly for his contributions as owner not football related as GM.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
giphy.gif

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Red, there's really no disagreement here, because there's no argument. Jerry was not placed into the HOF having anything whatsoever to do w/ him as a GM. I mean, this is just a fact, it's not really debatable.
No problem.

I do not want to expend anymore time on this.

Diehard can remain true to his alias.

:starspin:

75boyz

Reaction score
Great. To be clear, I completely understand the frustration and the need to vent about it, too. It's just that for my tastes, some posters get addicted to the venting and it get sort of like barking dogs. When one dog barks a warning, it's fine. He's letting you know something is up. When all the dogs are running around barking and the neighbors' dogs are joining in, and you can't hear yourself or have a regular conversation because of all the barking, you're like, 'ok, guys. I get it. You're gave me the warning. Continuing to bark isn't helping at this point, and you're giving me a headache.'

Not to make an unflattering comparison, but that's sort of what happens on a message board. I'd rather note the bark and keep talking, even if I'm not agreeing with the person I'm taking to, it can be a nice, quiet conversation. :)

Totally understand, but conversely you gotta be able to put yourself into those barking dogs shoes as well. They just may be acquiring those exact same headaches you're feeling from reading/ listening/ seeing Cowboys football related issues glossed over as maybe a little too peachy for their tastes because of a lack of bottom line championship results for an awful long time now.

I'll concede the better recent drafts of late and I assume most would. Ill admit to having decent confidence in our current defense especially with maybe a tweak here or there. Im not a number 4 guy, nor am I a Garrett fan whom I believe has been given enough time to improve his fundamental coaching approach and game day blunders but over 8 yrs later we still see much of the same. Jerry's roller coaster act as owner/GM is a name only facade that most knowledgeable football professionals probably joke about at parties.
It was in a different post of mine but I had mentioned that I thought Owner/GM, Head Coach and starting QB all glaringly lack ability in the most important areas of their job. This fuels my negativity in general.

I guess it could be further said that the end game, or winning championships is still kinda the whole object to playing sports. Cue the Herm Edwards clip.
I myself, can't fault a Cowboys fan's negativity as I have become one as well for the reasons mentioned.

At some point, and I can only speak for myself, but I need the Ground Hog Day cycle to end(by the Boys winning a Lombardi) in order for my personal post style to reflect a more positive spin.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Totally understand, but conversely you gotta be able to put yourself into those barking dogs shoes as well. They just may be acquiring those exact same headaches you're feeling from reading/ listening/ seeing Cowboys football related issues glossed over as maybe a little too peachy for their tastes because of a lack of bottom line championship results for an awful long time now.

I'll concede the better recent drafts of late and I assume most would. Ill admit to having decent confidence in our current defense especially with maybe a tweak here or there. Im not a number 4 guy, nor am I a Garrett fan whom I believe has been given enough time to improve his fundamental coaching approach and game day blunders but over 8 yrs later we still see much of the same. Jerry's roller coaster act as owner/GM is a name only facade that most knowledgeable football professionals probably joke about at parties.
It was in a different post of mine but I had mentioned that I thought Owner/GM, Head Coach and starting QB all glaringly lack ability in the most important areas of their job. This fuels my negativity in general.

I guess it could be further said that the end game, or winning championships is still kinda the whole object to playing sports. Cue the Herm Edwards clip.
I myself, can't fault a Cowboys fan's negativity as I have become one as well for the reasons mentioned.

At some point, and I can only speak for myself, but I need the Ground Hog Day cycle to end(by the Boys winning a Lombardi) in order for my personal post style to reflect a more positive spin.

I’m the dog that gets excited and starts biting the other barking dogs when they set things off in this analogy.