What to do about Moore

jnday

Reaction score
I'm guessing my statement should have been:

Because despite me turnaround and saying:

You seem to take that as "Screw Moore, he sucks" based off your response here.

But since I "hate Moore", I will play along.

Who was our OC of virtually the same offensive personnel last year?
Yet, when the starting QB went down the offense failed to score 20 points in 7 of 11 games Dak did not play in.
And that WAS with the arguably "the best backup QB in the NFL" and with even some fans believing (or at least saying) the Dallas Offense would not miss a beat with Dalton instead of Dak.

Hey, and I get it, it wasn't "only Dak" that went down last year. But yet when hit with adversity, the offense that has been innovative, balanced and customized for our opponents failed to score 20 points in 7 of 11 games.

So without a doubt, the players played AT LEAST a small part in the offense's success and failure and even though having a customized game-plan for our opponents has been lacking in Dallas for what seems like forever, I think that is because Dallas has been behind the times when it comes to modern coaching practices in the NFL.

Give me an OC that is NOT stuck in the 90s or a complete moron, and I think our offense will still be one of the best in the NFL with the talent it has.​

Now that I'm done playing devils advocate, here is all I was trying to say:
  1. You, I, or anyone on this board (unless Stephen Jones is secretly hanging around) has no control over what happens with Moore, so let's enjoy 2021 and worry about 2022 AFTER the 2021 season is over. Otherwise I'm afraid IF Dallas wins it all some will be unable to enjoy it and that would be really, really sad.
  2. While I am not 100% "you will not change my mind" opposed to Moore taking over as the HC as soon as next year, I do hope he proves to understand the difference between, and has a plan as, a HEAD COACH and not just an Offensive Coordinator.
  3. I mean, how many "Great Coordinators" have become HCs just to fall flat on their face? For every Payton and McVay, there are dozens of McDaniels, Manginis, Ryans (father and son), Mornhenwigs, Capers, Callahans, Phillipses, Turners, Weises, Crennels, Spagnuolos, Whisenhunts, Camerons, Haleys, Strongs, ect ... I'm sure I could find more, but I think you get the point.
  4. While again, and I quote, "I want him (Moore) in Dallas in 2022 and beyond" if for whatever crazy reason I had to pick between Moore or Dak, see ya Moore with absolutely no hesitation on my part.

I feel yucky now because I'm sure this is going to come across as very "Anti-Moore" or as a "Moore hater" but I AM NOT.

He is arguably one of the best young offensive minds in the game and I DO want him in Dallas for the foreseeable future. But that does not make him an automatic slam dunk at head coach.

Not saying that automatically makes him a terrible HC either. He just better have a plan that he can execute as a HC before we just "hand him the job" like we seemed to do with Garrett.

That's all.
The only questionable point that you make is saying that asst coaches don’t make good head coaches. Every single coach in the league was an asst coach before becoming HC. Moore does need more experience before taking a HC position, but he needs to stay in Dallas because he is the coach behind the offense that has played so well. One of the reasons why MM was fired in Green Bay was his offense becoming stale and outdated.

quickccc

Reaction score
Not understanding why we were having three different new threads on same Kellen Moore for HC subject, but i wonder if there could be
a reason why McCarthy must feel he has to force and be so aggressive with game managing decisions to make his presence and importance felt.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/kellen-“wunderkind”-moore.486261/

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/mccarthy-over-moore-in-2022.486258/#post-11302668

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/what-to-do-about-moore.486180/page-2#post-11300605

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'm pretty shocked that so many think they would just fire MM even if the team is successful.

If they win even one playoff game--which would probably mean they go to NFC Title game as they'll skip wildcard-- he is not getting fired.
That would be unprecedented barring some sort of ethics violation or health issue.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Better than the best most balanced most dominant offense in the NFL?

Tony Romo and Troy Aikman are not the only ones who unequivocally state that KM will be a HC next season.

Oh he's been terrific this year, but I meant getting intagibles honed... I wouldn't hesitate to hire him as HC...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
I credit McCarthy for letting Moore do what he does best. Thats a true coach. Where he isn't afraid to give the limelight to Kellen. Garrett, on the other hand, would not have stand for Moore calling the plays as he see's fit.

I for one thinks that Moore will stick around. Give him enough money and it will make it hard for him to decide whether to stay in Dallas or go coach the Jaguars.

Well Garrett loves to run the best play in football... a safety valve swing out pass to the RB for a yard ot two. Vegas should do a weekly over/under for how many times he'll call that play every week...

SackMaster

Reaction score
The only questionable point that you make is saying that asst coaches don’t make good head coaches. Every single coach in the league was an asst coach before becoming HC. Moore does need more experience before taking a HC position, but he needs to stay in Dallas because he is the coach behind the offense that has played so well. One of the reasons why MM was fired in Green Bay was his offense becoming stale and outdated.
Sure, you don't hire someone off the street to become a HC of an NFL franchise. Like we agree, experience matters.

If we fire MM at the end of the year because MM deserves to be fired, I'm 100% on board with that.

But I don't fire MM just to keep KM and make him HC.
And if you are afraid that MM is going to take over the offense IF KM leaves, that only happens if KM leaves in the middle of the season / playoff run IMO.

Otherwise if KM was to leave during the offseason and MM earns to keep the HC job, MM will find someone to run the offense. I mean, he should have PLENTY of coaches that would love to coach an offense that has:
  • A Top 3 QB (according to Brees)
  • Arguably the best WR corps in the NFL (even if Gallup was to leave)
  • A up and coming young TE that is a weapon in the passing game
  • Maybe the best 1-2 punch combo at RB in the league
  • An above average, if not really good, o-line
Hell, I would even venture to say if Moore was to leave the Cowboys for one of the likely job openings at the end of they year, I would wish him good luck. But I would also be thinking, he left an ideal situation in Dallas (fans love him more than the HC, he as all the right talent in the right positions on his side of the ball, and he has control over his offense) and going to another team will turn into one of the biggest regrets in his young life very very quickly.

If I were him, I would look no further than the NE OCs in the past decade plus. They all looked like "geniuses" with Brady as QB. Not so much without Brady at QB.

JMHO

Cmac

Reaction score
Kellen Moore is 33 years old ........ owners rarely hire guys under the age of 40 with less than 5 years of coaching experience to be the head coach of a franchise.
Isn't he the HC already? JJ just hasn't announced it.