What to do with Byron Jones

Tussinman

Reaction score
I'm ok with letting him walk but i'd feel a lot better with Byron Jones guard a guy like Devante Adams or Michael Thomas then I would Chido or Lewis.

Big athletic corners who can lock players down like him don't grow on tree's.
Agreed. Kris was suppose to "mentor and build these young CB's" aka brown, chido, and lewis and that never happened.

I don't really feel comfterable with any of them as a #2 let alone a #1

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
I'm ok with letting him walk but i'd feel a lot better with Byron Jones guard a guy like Devante Adams or Michael Thomas then I would Chido or Lewis.

This is why I hate the Dak contract looming. We're giving up a significantly better player like Byron for a bus driver QB that is a Honda Accord and is going to get paid like he's a Lamborghini.

sign Dak to a two year deal and tag Byron and Amari. Draft a TE, DE, 2 DT's, S, FS this year. Next year, evaluate how they did, and act accordingly in the draft. We will likely need another CB or WR next year, Likely another QB as well.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Flip side of the argument is that he could add turnovers to his game in a better defensive scheme.

Another point is that I would imagine teams threw far less to his side given he was an All-Pro corner in 2018?

He is what he is at this point. A solid cover corner with an allergy to the football. He has never been a big interception guy in his entire career. He's not going to become one now, despite how much we might wish.

fivetwos

Reaction score
My personal philosophy would be to not invest high picks or pay large money to corners with the way the rules are in today's NFL.

They dont have much of a chance. Teams are going to get their passing yards, it's just set up that way.

If you're going to stop a passing game you do so by not giving the QB time to make plays.

I DO think a thumper for a safety would be nice, but cant be paying corners top money. Even the best of the best will get beat if the rush isnt working.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

As I recall, Devante Adams didn't play against us this year. Another golden opportunity squandered in Garrett's last stand.

But yes, I prefer Jones to those two, just not to the tune of $15 million a year. I'm nit laying big money to continue to have zero turnovers.

This is why I hate the Dak contract looming. We're giving up a significantly better player like Byron for a bus driver QB that is a Honda Accord and is going to get paid like he's a Lamborghini.

A completely separate subject.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

Just stop man.......Dak contract has ZERO to do with signing Byron IF they want to. All the large 2nd contracts on this team yet you're singling out Dak.....C'mon

fivetwos

Reaction score
sign Dak to a two year deal and tag Byron and Amari. Draft a TE, DE, 2 DT's, S, FS this year. Next year, evaluate how they did, and act accordingly in the draft. We will likely need another CB or WR next year, Likely another QB as well.
Dak isnt signing a two year deal sir.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Dak isnt signing a two year deal sir.

How long do you think his contract is going to be? You do realize Dak is fighting for a shorter contract so he can cash in on the next market price change, such as when Watson or Mahomes gets paid...?

Verdict

Reaction score
Jones has been our best CB the last two years and depending on which stats you look at, one of the better CBs in the NFL over that stretch. Yes, he seemingly can't catch a football. But I saw an Archer stat that said in 2019, 30 passes were completed against him in 60 targets. That 50% completion percentage would rank 9th amongst CBs.

But he's going to cost you some cash though, that's for sure. The flipside is Nolan seems big on turnover generation and that's really not Jones' forte.

I was largely against paying him that much but then I saw Awuzie get worse this year and that has me all confused now. I was banking on Awuzie improving and then we would either throw Lewis out there to replace Jones or draft a kid. But now, with Awuzie seemingly a lost cause, if you let Jones walk, you likely need two new CBs.

Decisions, decisions...........

I think he will walk and we will save them cap and draft a corner.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The team had basically the same situation a few years ago when they had to move on from both Carr & Mo. They brought in a veteran in Carroll, drafted Awuzie, Lewis and Woods. Bryon is the only holdover. Is he worth over 12 million a season, with zero ball skills?

With a new staff in place, it's very possible all current players can all be gone in the secondary. You would think the team signs a band-aid type of fa starter to replace Bryon and look to draft a future starter or two at the position.

Loso86

Reaction score
Pay him. If not who will we get to be our #1 they dont fall off the trees

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I think some team will make him the highest paid corner in football.

Just because he doesn't get 2 or 3 picks a season shouldn't discredit how good he actually is as a #1 corner.

great corners take the ball away.he is good, not great, but certainly not worth the money in a cap era league. Let him walk and draft another qb early.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Jones has been our best CB the last two years and depending on which stats you look at, one of the better CBs in the NFL over that stretch. Yes, he seemingly can't catch a football. But I saw an Archer stat that said in 2019, 30 passes were completed against him in 60 targets. That 50% completion percentage would rank 9th amongst CBs.

But he's going to cost you some cash though, that's for sure. The flipside is Nolan seems big on turnover generation and that's really not Jones' forte.

I was largely against paying him that much but then I saw Awuzie get worse this year and that has me all confused now. I was banking on Awuzie improving and then we would either throw Lewis out there to replace Jones or draft a kid. But now, with Awuzie seemingly a lost cause, if you let Jones walk, you likely need two new CBs.

Decisions, decisions...........

Bryon is still fairly young (28 in the fall) and has been mostly healthy for us, playing through the injuries he's had. I think you value those guys and try to re-sign them unless the contract demands are just ridiculous.

I don't think we will re-sign him, though, believing that Awuzie and Lewis can get the job done as starters.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
great corners take the ball away.he is good, not great, but certainly not worth the money in a cap era league. Let him walk and draft another qb early.

Who are the great NFL corners and how many picks are they getting?

The rules are piled up against these guys and just because we don't have a stat to point to doesn't mean he isn't an elite player.

The guy gives up 1 or 2 TD's a season and when he does this forum talks about how much he sucks but Dak Prescott throws the ball behind WR's and our offensive gets shut out and people do mental gymnastics defending him.

Swagger

Reaction score

The rules are piled up against these guys and just because we don't have a stat to point to doesn't mean he isn't an elite player.

The guy gives up 1 or 2 TD's a season and when he does this forum talks about how much he sucks but Dak Prescott throws the ball behind WR's and our offensive gets shut out and people do mental gymnastics defending him.

Another great point. People place too much importance on takeaways.

Brandon Carr had six interceptions over his three seasons at the Ravens - he had one interception during his last three seasons for us.

Defensive scheme is a big factor.

I rate Byron Jones very highly and we haven't exactly had a formidable front seven over the course of his tenure with us.

If he moved to a team like the 49ers he could end up with like 6-7 interceptions over the course of a season because they have complete beasts on their D-Line.

Swagger

Reaction score
Dangerous to just pass up on an All-Pro Cornerback arguably reaching his peak but hey ho

Reid1boys

Reaction score

I didnt say he wasnt good, but I said he isnt worth breaking the bank over. Im no cap expert, so Ill leave that to those that are,.... but with all these contracts the Cowboys are giving out, there is no way the Cowboys can pay him top 5 corner money. On a side note, if you consider the RKG stuff when giving deals, he is a very classy guy that never gets in trouble off the field., At training camp he was damn gracious to all the fans sticking around signing stuff and just being polite as all could be while most players were long gone.