What to do with the 1-tech?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I still don't see Marinelli making this position a priority, but I do think there are some affordable options that will be available.

Brandon Mebane- 6'1 315, looks like a good fit as a two down player for us, just not sure if the money will line up. Turns 31 in about two weeks and has always been a west coast guy, which may mean we'd have to overpay to pry him from Sea or outbid any other West Coast suitors.

Ahtyba Rubin- 6'2 325, Marinelli may view him as more of a 3-4 nose, and not be interested, but he's a year younger than Mebane and may be cheaper, having bounced around a bit. Sea won't let both walk, so I suspect, the inferior of the two would become available.

Ian Williams- 6'1 305, while he is a 3-4 NT, he looks like he could play the nose/1 tech in really any defense. He's young enough that I would not have a problem over paying a bit. The problem with that is he's young enough that I'm not sure SF let's him walk.

Jarvis Jenkins- 6'4 300, may be a bit too tall and has been a 3-4 DE is whole career, but he may be a good option to play the 1-tech here. Had four sacks last season, so Chicago will likely want to retain him.

I think a rotation including one of these guys and maybe a 4th round pick could really help next year.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Get T. McClain and T. Crawford back healthy would help. Then get a better backup than Hayden.

Crawford healthy would mean far better play at the 3-tech and T. McClain is just a far better 1-tech than Hayden.

We have FAR bigger issues than 1-tech on defense.

Ro McClain was too inconsistent and when he was bad...he was REALLY bad. I mean, stink-a-roo levels. He would have the tailback in his sights and not even come close to tackling him at times. He was also slow getting to the RB coming out into the flat. Part of the problem is that we need a big MIKE to help protect Lee, but we also need speed at the MIKE as well to play. I can see why they liked Damien Wilson in the draft, hopefully he gets it to click in the offseason.

The safeties and corners are also a problem in terms or run support. There's a reason why so many big runs happen out to the right and why teams threw so many screens for big yards out to the right side of the field....that's where Brandon Carr is and he can't tackle to save his life.

I think Church is a streaky tackler at best. Sometimes he's really good in run support and other times he's miserable. Wilcox was horrendous this year. Although I think if we are going to go with Byron Jones at FS (which I'm all for) and we are looking for better coverage from a SS, we may need to get better at 1-tech in order to offset the lesser tackling from the safeties. Of course, we could get more physical corners to help with that as well.

YR

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Get T. McClain and T. Crawford back healthy would help. Then get a better backup than Hayden.

Crawford healthy would mean far better play at the 3-tech and T. McClain is just a far better 1-tech than Hayden.

We have FAR bigger issues than 1-tech on defense.

Ro McClain was too inconsistent and when he was bad...he was REALLY bad. I mean, stink-a-roo levels. He would have the tailback in his sights and not even come close to tackling him at times. He was also slow getting to the RB coming out into the flat. Part of the problem is that we need a big MIKE to help protect Lee, but we also need speed at the MIKE as well to play. I can see why they liked Damien Wilson in the draft, hopefully he gets it to click in the offseason.

The safeties and corners are also a problem in terms or run support. There's a reason why so many big runs happen out to the right and why teams threw so many screens for big yards out to the right side of the field....that's where Brandon Carr is and he can't tackle to save his life.

I think Church is a streaky tackler at best. Sometimes he's really good in run support and other times he's miserable. Wilcox was horrendous this year. Although I think if we are going to go with Byron Jones at FS (which I'm all for) and we are looking for better coverage from a SS, we may need to get better at 1-tech in order to offset the lesser tackling from the safeties. Of course, we could get more physical corners to help with that as well.

YR

agree on the Crawford and McClain statement. If he can stay healthy I don't see a place for Hayden with a young buck like walker on the team. He started to play a lot of snaps. Wouldn't mind seeing a player like Sheldon day to back up Crawford.

Could agree more on rolando. Lazy and in it strictly for the money. Need to let him go and go smoke his weed. I can see Dallas going after Myles jack or Matakevich would pick Jack tho. By the time the draft comes around I think Jack will show why he's so highly touted. He's been at the Phoenix institute since nov I think. He's gonna kill it at the combine. Him and Lee would make a dynamic duo and both are 3 down lbers. And the thing with jack is he can cover Wrs. He just adds a element that this def doesn't have.

Church used to be so reliable as a tackler don't know whAt happened there. But Dallas needs a ss who can cover some ground and let Wilcox play special teams and stay there. Two guys I like in the draft for this Kearse and Cash. Both would improve or draft carter from Arizona later in the draft. He's not as dynamic as the first two but he's smart and has ball skills.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
agree on the Crawford and McClain statement. If he can stay healthy I don't see a place for Hayden with a young buck like walker on the team. He started to play a lot of snaps. Wouldn't mind seeing a player like Sheldon day to back up Crawford.

Could agree more on rolando. Lazy and in it strictly for the money. Need to let him go and go smoke his weed. I can see Dallas going after Myles jack or Matakevich would pick Jack tho. By the time the draft comes around I think Jack will show why he's so highly touted. He's been at the Phoenix institute since nov I think. He's gonna kill it at the combine. Him and Lee would make a dynamic duo and both are 3 down lbers. And the thing with jack is he can cover Wrs. He just adds a element that this def doesn't have.

Church used to be so reliable as a tackler don't know whAt happened there. But Dallas needs a ss who can cover some ground and let Wilcox play special teams and stay there. Two guys I like in the draft for this Kearse and Cash. Both would improve or draft carter from Arizona later in the draft. He's not as dynamic as the first two but he's smart and has ball skills.

Walker showed me nothing. Just a big guy that has a L-O-N-G ways to go and likely got promoted because we were out of it and he has incredible size. But, he couldn't get stalemates on double teams. That's what you want those big 1-techs to do...get stalemates on double teams to open up things for the 3-tech.

I'm big on safety play. To me, if I'm confident in a team's safeties, middle linebacker, center and QB...I like their chances. The Cowboys will want a downhill player because that is what they have always sought out in a safety and Marinelli will likely do the same. I'm more for what Philly has with Jenkins and Thurmond. I think if you have good tackling corners and the smaller safeties are good form tacklers, you don't have to worry about them not being a player that can lay the wood to somebody (and you really can't lay the wood anymore as it will be a penalty, fine and possible suspension).

YR

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
The problem with TMcClain, is in his two years, he has given no indication that he can stay healthy. I don't think he should factor into any decision.

Common Sense

Reaction score
This might be the year that they finally draft someone. There are some good options available after the first round.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
I still don't see Marinelli making this position a priority, but I do think there are some affordable options that will be available.

Brandon Mebane- 6'1 315, looks like a good fit as a two down player for us, just not sure if the money will line up. Turns 31 in about two weeks and has always been a west coast guy, which may mean we'd have to overpay to pry him from Sea or outbid any other West Coast suitors.

Ahtyba Rubin- 6'2 325, Marinelli may view him as more of a 3-4 nose, and not be interested, but he's a year younger than Mebane and may be cheaper, having bounced around a bit. Sea won't let both walk, so I suspect, the inferior of the two would become available.

Ian Williams- 6'1 305, while he is a 3-4 NT, he looks like he could play the nose/1 tech in really any defense. He's young enough that I would not have a problem over paying a bit. The problem with that is he's young enough that I'm not sure SF let's him walk.

Jarvis Jenkins- 6'4 300, may be a bit too tall and has been a 3-4 DE is whole career, but he may be a good option to play the 1-tech here. Had four sacks last season, so Chicago will likely want to retain him.

I think a rotation including one of these guys and maybe a 4th round pick could really help next year.

Is Phil Taylor healthy yet? He's younger and bigger than guys above.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Is Phil Taylor healthy yet? He's younger and bigger than guys above.

realistically, we aren't going for a huge big body guy. marenelli may be willing to grab a guy that's 310, maybe 315, but even then I think that's pushing it.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
realistically, we aren't going for a huge big body guy. marenelli may be willing to grab a guy that's 310, maybe 315, but even then I think that's pushing it.

Marinelli was not known to play press or off man either, but 2015 showed he was willing to try different things. Even Pete Carroll has modified the way he plays the 4-3 Under with great success. Not saying it will happen, but Marinelli is not completely stuck in his ways.

And if you are going to list a 325 guy, why not a 330 guy who's younger and more of a force in the middle.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Marinelli was not known to play press or off man either, but 2015 showed he was willing to try different things. Even Pete Carroll has modified the way he plays the 4-3 Under with great success. Not saying it will happen, but Marinelli is not completely stuck in his ways.

true, but he does not seem interested at all in a 1 tech. Taking Frederick and passing on Shariff Floyd was the right call, but it seemed to have more to do with a lack of interest in Floyd than believing they had a steal in Frederick. Taking Byron Jones over Malcolm Brown *may* have had more to do with Jones, but it seems Brown was never in play.

Personally I think spending $5 million or so on a DT like Brandon Mebane, Ahatya Rubin or Ian Williams would be a huge concession. I'd like a flyer on Phil Taylor, but I think that would be way outside the norm.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
true, but he does not seem interested at all in a 1 tech. Taking Frederick and passing on Shariff Floyd was the right call, but it seemed to have more to do with a lack of interest in Floyd than believing they had a steal in Frederick. Taking Byron Jones over Malcolm Brown *may* have had more to do with Jones, but it seems Brown was never in play.

Personally I think spending $5 million or so on a DT like Brandon Mebane, Ahatya Rubin or Ian Williams would be a huge concession. I'd like a flyer on Phil Taylor, but I think that would be way outside the norm.

Casey Walker is the same size or bigger than Phil Taylor, think times are a changing. Not saying 1 tech will drafted in 1st or even 2nd but Marinelli may be more keen to adapting some if his hard and fast philosophies.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Casey Walker is the same size or bigger than Phil Taylor, think times are a changing. Not saying 1 tech will drafted in 1st or even 2nd but Marinelli may be more keen to adapting some if his hard and fast philosophies.

you may be right, but I think Walker was added out of desperation.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
One of these might work.

3460045.jpg

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
My pet hate about the defensive staff. Marrinelli and his unwavering belief that DTS are easy to fill in later rounds, hence no top resources allotted to that position.
Anybody watch Star Lotualele and Kwan Short on Sunday ???
That's what dominant DTs give you. Free up your LBers. Clog the middle, and still get to the QB themselves.
How does our staff not see this and adjust.
How can Jerry let the defensive staff handcuff the team year after year.
And how come no media, people at interviews never, ever call them out on this !!!