What to do with the 1-tech?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Marinelli was not known to play press or off man either, but 2015 showed he was willing to try different things. Even Pete Carroll has modified the way he plays the 4-3 Under with great success. Not saying it will happen, but Marinelli is not completely stuck in his ways.

And if you are going to list a 325 guy, why not a 330 guy who's younger and more of a force in the middle.

Not the same at all.

Marinelli is a DL guy. It is his baby and he does it his way.
Cover 2 was never his baby and he used that because his DC's used it.

Marinelli is far too old to change his defensive system.

SEA is ran by a DB guy. That's his specialty. He has a 4-3/3-4 hybrid DL because he isn't wed to any front. He specializes int he back end.
He's found, developed and utilized talent int he secondary better than anyone in decades which is largely why SEA has won so much with mediocre talent at a lot of spots.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
My pet hate about the defensive staff. Marrinelli and his unwavering belief that DTS are easy to fill in later rounds, hence no top resources allotted to that position.
Anybody watch Star Lotualele and Kwan Short on Sunday ???
That's what dominant DTs give you. Free up your LBers. Clog the middle, and still get to the QB themselves.
How does our staff not see this and adjust.
How can Jerry let the defensive staff handcuff the team year after year.
And how come no media, people at interviews never, ever call them out on this !!!

Rod believes 3T are round 1. SDE and WDE are round 1.
He doesn't believe in paying for 1T.
It is what it is.

I agree with everyone that what Carolina does is pretty special.
And so would Marinelli.
He has no issues playing 3 DE and a 3T on pass rushing downs.

I could see us draft a 3T in even this draft. It just won;t be a 1T.
IF we spend a round 1 pick the guy has to cover two gaps.