What was your first automobile?

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
what was your first automobile?

mine was a 79 chevy silverado 1/2 ton pickup with the 350 engine. loved that truck. :)

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Oh my...looked like this.

65%20Impala%201.jpg

1965 white Impala SuperSport.

Loved that car.

Payton34Smith22

Reaction score
1985 Pontiac Parisienne Safari Station Wagon, similar to this one.... :eek::

http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v661/payton34smith22/fii7.jpg

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Yeah...but your truck ate cars like my Impala for breakfast. :)

i almost beat a friend of mine with a 454 in the quarter.............

almost. :mad:

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Payton34smith22 said:

wallyworld bound!!

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Payton34smith22 said:

Did you buy that from Winicki? :D

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
First auto was a S-10 Tahoe 62K miles motor blew

First auto I bought myself was a Iszu Impulse which I loved...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
1967 Camaro SS350... a fairly rare model, the hottest drivetrain in the original Camaros... in fact, I won a few bets with guys in bars over that thing:

Me: The 350 was the biggest engine available in the original Camaro...

Drunk Expert: BS-- the Camaros came in a 396 in the 67 model line...

Me: The 396 was a mid-year upgrade, when they first came out the 350 was the biggest engine available... it was also the only Camaro available in 67 with the TurboHydramatic 350 transmission...

Drunk Expert: BS-- any 67 Camaro with automatic was a Powerglide... the TH-350 didn't become standard until 68...

Me: Sorry, but the SS350, and only the SS350, had the TH-350...

At which point I'd get out the book I kept in my glove box which explained all of the above...

It was also the only Camaro available with the highback buckets and the floor shifter... both options became common in 68...

The engine in that thing had all the good stuff-- forged crank, big valve heads, 4 bolt mains, and that big ol' Quadrajet carb... the trans blew on me after I'd driven it for a few years, and I had it rebuilt with a shift kit... when you stepped on that thing, first you got the well-known Quadrajet bog (a slight hesitation where you thought it might be fixin' to stall out), then those silver dollar sized secondaries kicked in and the shift kit did its thing, and you were definitely pushed back into the seat...

Got the only speeding tickets I ever got in my life in that thing... I was young, and that thing almost DEMANDED that you push it... LOL...

I called it the Stinger, it was Dayton Yellow with what GM called the bumblebee stripe (black) around the nose... no spoiler in the rear, which was good 'cause I thought those spoilers just ruined the look of the car...

It might have been the hottest car I ever owned... it was 3 years old when I bought it... all that caddy money that I saved up really paid off for me...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
1967 Jeepster Commando pickup.

000347-200503-000011big.jpg

Red with the white removable top. 33" mud tires and Rancho suspension.

It would climb straight up.

DLK150

The Quiet Man
Reaction score
1968 Dodge Coronet sedan. It was originally my mother's, and she gave it to me as an 18th birthday present. Sold it to a friend's younger brother in '82 and spent the next 5 years regretting it. I never souped it up or anything outside of putting some Cragars on it, but there was just something about it I loved.

I tried to find a picture of one, but about all I find are the '68 R/T coupes.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Hostile said:
1967 Jeepster Commando pickup.

000347-200503-000011big.jpg

Red with the white removable top. 33" mud tires and Rancho suspension.

It would climb straight up.

My Dad had a Commando, I always liked it... it was his second car, he used it for hunting... it wasn't the pickup, though... it also didn't have the removable top, which I think would have been great...

I drive a 98 Cherokee these days, back in my golf pro days I drove an 80 Cherokee... inherited that sucker from my Dad when he passed away, he'd just bought it, hadn't even made his first payment on it, but he had life insurance on the note, so it was paid for... Mom just hated it, it was too big for her... so she went out and bought a Subaru wagon (my Uncle Del and Uncle Tony both sold 'em), and gave me the Cherokee...

I got about 10MPG when I first got it, but since it didn't cost me anything, instead of trading it in on something more reasonable when it came to fuel economy, I went to work on that 360... new camshaft and valvetrain (Competition Cams), new intake manifold (Edelbrock SP2P dual plane), new carb (Holley Economaster)... put headers on it too, but that didn't work out, I kept blowing header gaskets... replaced each side at least 4 times before I gave up and switched back to conventional exhaust manifolds...

When it was all said and done, I was knocking down about 17.5 MPG... nobody would ever believe me, but that's the God's honest truth... same way they won't believe me that I get a consistent 21-22 MPG on my 98, with only some slight modifications, less than 250 bucks worth:

Bosch Platinum 4 plugs and the Bosch mag core plug wires... total cost, about 75 bucks...

K&N Filtercharger air cleaner... 50 bucks... but it's reusable, the cleaning kit costs 10 bucks and will give you 2 cleanings...

TX-7 oil treatment at Jiffy Lube... a little less than 50 bucks... needs to be repeated about every 30,000 miles...

Valvoline synthetic oil... right at 75 bucks (I don't do my own oil changes, I like that Jiffy Lube checks the fluids, my tire pressure and vaccuums the carpet)...

I've often wondered why Jeep didn't put these parts in at the factory, it probably wouldn't add 150 bucks to their production costs, and they'd sell more of 'em if they could honestly advertise that kind of gas mileage...

If any of y'all are driving a Cherokee (I'm not talkin' about the Grand Cherokee here, I'm talkin' about the regular Cherokee with the 4.0 liter inline six), I'd heartily recommend that you pop for the modifications I've made to mine... they'll pay for themselves in no time...

Anyway, I am a Jeep man in my old age... it's rubbing off on my nephew, more than anything he wants a Wrangler Rubicon...

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2342_Revell_1968_Pontic_Firebird_.jpg

Mine did not have the 2 in 1 ram air but it pretty much looked like the one in the pic...same color.

1968 Firebird 350

It had Killer seatbelts......that were in a brown paper bag in the trunk lol.

I still kick myself in the butt for letting that car go.

Getting ready to go in the army and figured I would be gone and not be able to use it so I sold it......now I wish I would have kept it and sent some money home each month so my dad could take it somewhere and have it worked on.
:mad:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm almost ashamed to say I drove such a girly car compared to you guys. mY first car I ever owned was an '88 Tempo. It got repo'd about 6 mos after I got it. I was 19 and had no sense of budgeting.

http://i5.***BLOCKED***/albums/y164/nbr1diva/tempo.jpg

With some help, I was able to purchase The Dodge ('86 Dodge Omni) less than a couple months after I told them they could keep the tempo. Paid cash, no car note and this baby got me everywhere until the timing chain went out. It was a 5-speed w/only one speaker by the driver side and no A/C. But w/a 4-door, I kept the windows rolled down and kept moving.

http://i5.***BLOCKED***/albums/y164/nbr1diva/da_dodge.jpg

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Woody'sGirl said:
I'm almost ashamed to say I drove such a girly car compared to you guys. mY first car I ever owned was an '88 Tempo. It got repo'd about 6 mos after I got it. I was 19 and had no sense of budgeting.

Don't Feel bad....my work car is a 91 Tempo....I hate the thing but it gets me to point B and has been a dependable car.

Now you know why I am so desperate to get a new car lol.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BrAinPaiNt said:
Don't Feel bad....my work car is a 91 Tempo....I hate the thing but it gets me to point B and has been a dependable car.

Now you know why I am so desperate to get a new car lol.
I actually loved my tempo, but I had no money sense. It got repo'd because I had some work done on it and the auto shop picked it up when I didn't finish paying the whole bill, but I was waiting on my fin-aid. So I called the finance people, who came and got it. And since I owed THEM money. A $200 bill became $1700 after all the repo fees and such were attached. And then they said that even after I paid them, there was no guarantee I'd get the car back and that I'd have to get refinanced.

My uncle told me to not worry about it and he'd help me get a lil cash car. He took too long to help me so I got the Dodge on my own.