What we gave up for Roy 11

CoCo

Reaction score
a 1st, 3rd & a 6th while receiving a 7th in return.

Last 5 drafts for Dallas

1st Round: Felix, Jenkins, Spencer, Carpenter & Spears. I'm going to exclude Ware because at #11 overall that is probably (hopefully) out of range with our 2009 #1.

3rd Round: Peterman, Marten, Hatcher,

6th Round: Beriault, Stanley, Folk, Deion & Walden

Draw your own conclusions.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Pretty black and white to me. We got a hell of a player who was a top 7 pick on his draft day who we know can perform.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
If we didn't get Roy, we would have spent the #1 on a WR. The WR draft pick could be hit or miss. Its better to play it safe with proven talent than to go with a draft pick when it comes with WR.

The 6th for a 7th is pretty much meaningless.

Mike_45

Reaction score
Not to hijack your thread, but I had a brain fart and thought we took Spears in Ware's spot and so forth. I went to wiki and double checked Ware's draft spot and saw that on his high school football team he played with Marcus Washington of the Commanders and Osi Umenyiora. Kinda cool. I wonder how good that team was?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
CoCo;2428267 said:

Last 5 drafts for Dallas

1st Round: Felix, Jenkins, Spencer, Carpenter. I'm going to exclude Ware because at #11 overall that is probably (hopefully) out of range with our 2009 #1.

Looking at our past history, I think we made the correct decision.

We now have a 27 yr old probowl WR, whereas a rookie WR is 50/50 bust potential.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;2428354 said:
Looking at our past history, I think we made the correct decision.

We now have a 27 yr old probowl WR, whereas a rookie WR is 50/50 bust potential.

Agree 100%. It is an absolute "No Brainer". Even if we were the best drafting team in the league, drafting in the 20's is 50/50 AT BEST. Here is a list of the last decade.

none (1st receiver taken was 33-Donnie Avery- semi stud)

23-Dwayne Bowe- stud
27-Robert Meachem-dud
30-Craig Daivs-Dud
32-Anthony Gonzales- semi stud

25-Santonio Holmes- stud

21- Matt Jones- dud
22- Mark Clayton- dud
27- Roddy White- stud (never thought this would happen)

29- Michael Jenkins- dud
31- Rashaun Woods- dud

none (closest was Bryant Johnson at 17-dud)

19- Ashley Lelie- dud
20- Javon Walker- stud for a little while

Santana at 16

25- Freddie Mitchell- dud
30- Reggie Wayne- stud

21- Sylvester Morris-dud (injuries)
29- R Jay Soward- dud
32- Dennis Northcutt- dud

12 duds and 7 studs to semi studs. Unless Crabtree falls off the planet or smokes pot before the draft, we would not have improved the position.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
It was a really good move. The only person whose insanely hurt by it is Nors and I think the reason for that is it hurts his boy, The Big Loser, chances of doing well in Detriot. It's the only reason he was really upset.

Well that and it allowed Hos to actually be right with some of his inside sources while Nors continues to be wrong listening to his 9 year old nephew about what he hears on ESPN.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Great trade for both sides . Detroit needs to completely rebuild and Dallas needed only a key piece . The only reciver I would have taken over Williams is Crabtree anyways , and he may not even declare , and wouldn't still be on the board at the Cowboys pick at #32 .

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
RWR is going to be great. I knew he was good but he's better than that. He may prove to be elite in this offense. Assuming JJ can keep it intact long enough.

Can anyone say he doesn't have a decent shot at a HOF career?

Kaika

Have a Good Day Pilgrims
Reaction score
T. Romo 28 Years old, MBII 25, F.Jones 21,Witt 26 RW 26.
I'd say we made a good choice for our future..

For the next few years I like what I see with our Offense.

NinePointOh

Reaction score
Mike_45;2428335 said:
Not to hijack your thread, but I had a brain fart and thought we took Spears in Ware's spot and so forth. I went to wiki and double checked Ware's draft spot and saw that on his high school football team he played with Marcus Washington of the Commanders and Osi Umenyiora. Kinda cool. I wonder how good that team was?

He went to the same high school as Umenyiora and Washington, but not at the same time.

Washington graduated high school in 1996, when Ware was just 14 years old. Umenyiora graduated two years ahead of Ware, so Ware may or may not have been on the varsity squad with Umenyiora.

Also, despite having those 3 NFLers, Auburn High School didn't win a single regional, area, or conference championship between 1990 and 2004.

*shrug*

lewpac

Benched
Reaction score
In the draft, you never know. In this day and age of free agency and salary caps and "parity", you go with the automatic "proven" commodity. Williams, 26 years old, and never having the stage to show his real stuff in Detroit.........it's a "slam dunk" move to get him for THAT deal.
This guy IS in the mode of "top tier", T.O. type of guy. That is a fact attained by his time with the Lions for heavens sake.
I think that his exploits in looserville so far totally justify this deal. He's the future in Dallas at WR.
Give him until, at least, next pre-season to get the grip on this offense and develop his thing with Romo. If, at this time next year he's still "flat", then maybe I'll consider ANY criticism. I may even give him 'till 2010!!!
He's THAT good......................

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
CoCo;2428267 said:

Last 5 drafts for Dallas

1st Round: Felix, Jenkins, Spencer, Carpenter & Spears. I'm going to exclude Ware because at #11 overall that is probably (hopefully) out of range with our 2009 #1.

Didnt we also get 7th rounder from Detroit on top of Williams?
So we also addded Jay Ratlifff (7th rounder) on top of Roy Williams! LOL

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
ThatsmyQB;2428775 said:
Didnt we also get 7th rounder from Detroit on top of Williams?
So we also addded Jay Ratlifff (7th rounder) on top of Roy Williams! LOL

We've been pretty good with seventh-rounders lately -- we've drafted Patrick Crayton, Nate Jones, Jacques Reeves, Jay Ratliff, Pat McQuistan, Alan Ball and Courtney Brown in the seventh round since 2004. The only other seventh-round pick in that time, the only one who didn't make the team, was E.J. Whitley.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2428785 said:
We've been pretty good with seventh-rounders lately -- we've drafted Patrick Crayton, Nate Jones, Jacques Reeves, Jay Ratliff, Pat McQuistan, Alan Ball and Courtney Brown in the seventh round since 2004. The only other seventh-round pick in that time, the only one who didn't make the team, was E.J. Whitley.

Hey, didn't that guy invent the cotton gin?

:confused::eek:::)

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Hypnotoad;2428286 said:
If we didn't get Roy, we would have spent the #1 on a WR. The WR draft pick could be hit or miss. Its better to play it safe with proven talent than to go with a draft pick when it comes with WR.

The 6th for a 7th is pretty much meaningless.

We also have to consider how many draft picks we still have.

Sure losing the first-round pick hurts, but we still have a 2nd, 3rd, two 4ths, a 5th, 6th and a 7th and should receive at least two compensatory picks. Every draft pick is hit and miss, so having that many picks increases our chances of success or helps us be able to move around if we see someone we want.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
All I know was a certain someone predicted long ago that it'd take a 1st and a 3rd to get him and that certain someone was hammered by half the board saying it was ridiculous and too much. Now everyone agrees it was worth the trade.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
theogt;2428960 said:
All I know was a certain someone predicted long ago that it'd take a 1st and a 3rd to get him and that certain someone was hammered by half the board saying it was ridiculous and too much. Now everyone agrees it was worth the trade.

cowboyjoe?

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Paniolo22;2428405 said:
Agree 100%. It is an absolute "No Brainer". Even if we were the best drafting team in the league, drafting in the 20's is 50/50 AT BEST. Here is a list of the last decade.

none (1st receiver taken was 33-Donnie Avery- semi stud)

23-Dwayne Bowe- stud
27-Robert Meachem-dud
30-Craig Daivs-Dud
32-Anthony Gonzales- semi stud

25-Santonio Holmes- stud

21- Matt Jones- dud
22- Mark Clayton- dud
27- Roddy White- stud (never thought this would happen)

29- Michael Jenkins- dud
31- Rashaun Woods- dud

none (closest was Bryant Johnson at 17-dud)

19- Ashley Lelie- dud
20- Javon Walker- stud for a little while

Santana at 16

25- Freddie Mitchell- dud
30- Reggie Wayne- stud

21- Sylvester Morris-dud (injuries)
29- R Jay Soward- dud
32- Dennis Northcutt- dud

12 duds and 7 studs to semi studs. Unless Crabtree falls off the planet or smokes pot before the draft, we would not have improved the position.
Nice breakdown. I would rather go with a proven WR like Williams than gamble on a WR in the first round. There are some very intriguing 1st round prospects, but then again, every 1st round WR is intriguing. I have a theory that the best WR's come out of the 2nd and 3rd rounds anyway. I don't have a graph to back it up, but it sure seems that way to me.