What we gave up for Roy 11

Daudr

Reaction score
We got a known great receiver with a lot of good years left, for a good price IMO.

cowboy4eva

Reaction score
Who was picked in the past at these spots mean nothing. it's just a strategy to make one feel better about trading away picks. Skins fans use it all the time when they trade 2nd and 3rd rounders for Jason Taylor's, TJ Duckett's and so on.

Draft picks have value, the Cowboys traded a whole hell of a lot of value for Roy Williams. I don't care what they did with the picks before. Baffled that people think it matters.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
cowboy4eva;2429035 said:
Who was picked in the past at these spots mean nothing. it's just a strategy to make one feel better about trading away picks. Skins fans use it all the time when they trade 2nd and 3rd rounders for Jason Taylor's, TJ Duckett's and so on.

Draft picks have value, the Cowboys traded a whole hell of a lot of value for Roy Williams. I don't care what they did with the picks before. Baffled that people think it matters.
Are you actually trying to argue that looking at the historical results of a decision is unimportant?

Reaction score
I like the move a lot myself. Now, let's get him the ball! I hate to say it, but so far, Williams looks like he has far better hands than Owens. The ball just sticks to his hands. Owens again could have had at least 2-3 more catchs if he had concentrated more. Hey Terrell, don't complain about not getting the ball, then drop it when it comes.

I'm hoping we get Williams much more involved in the offense next year, as well as Bennett. Those two have glue fingers that just suck the ball in. TO makes more big plays, but whats the use if you're dropping every other one?

Roy Williams--Good pick.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Jerry got hustled. it should not have taken 3 picks. he was gonna come here in the offseason anyways.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Rampage;2429055 said:
Jerry got hustled. it should not have taken 3 picks. he was gonna come here in the offseason anyways.
I think the selling point was that Jerry wanted to win this year, and Williams improves that chance.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
CoCo;2428267 said:
a 1st, 3rd & a 6th while receiving a 7th in return.

Last 5 drafts for Dallas

1st Round: Felix, Jenkins, Spencer, Carpenter & Spears. I'm going to exclude Ware because at #11 overall that is probably (hopefully) out of range with our 2009 #1.

3rd Round: Peterman, Marten, Hatcher,

6th Round: Beriault, Stanley, Folk, Deion & Walden

Draw your own conclusions.

How do you exclude good draft picks from this equation - LOL

We traded 2/3's of our traditional day 1 picks away - and gave him Franchise $.

Is he a top 5 WR? I don't see it but hoping he doesn't bust out and love favor here too.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
we did get a 7th back from the Lions.

Besides......3 unknown prospects are worth far less than 1 known prospect....especially when we waste picks on the likes of Bobby Carpenter...

Yes I would like to have a 1st round pick, but I am ecstatic to have Roy Williams.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I really cannot see why anyone is complaining. Jerrah used a first rd pick to get a WR. In a draft he may have had to use the 3rd to move up. Just do not see why ANYONE is complaining.

Spectre

Reaction score
let's revisit what we gave up when we know for sure where we're drafting at season's end.

then, many should see.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Rampage;2429055 said:

He was going to be franchised in the offseason.

cowboy4eva

Reaction score
theogt;2429039 said:
Are you actually trying to argue that looking at the historical results of a decision is unimportant?
Looking at what you did with previous first rounders to determine whether to give up drafts is dumb. As I said it's the Commander way to spin them giving away draft picks.

Each draft pick is different, each player is different, each draft pool is different, each scouting team is different, each report on players is different. I don't care what has historically happened at pick #11 if the Cowboys have pick #11. That has nothing to do with the now. Likewise I don't care that Bobby Carpenter sucks, is that supposed to validate trading future first round picks?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
cowboy4eva;2430294 said:
Looking at what you did with previous first rounders to determine whether to give up drafts is dumb. As I said it's the Commander way to spin them giving away draft picks.

Each draft pick is different, each player is different, each draft pool is different, each scouting team is different, each report on players is different. I don't care what has historically happened at pick #11 if the Cowboys have pick #11. That has nothing to do with the now. Likewise I don't care that Bobby Carpenter ****, is that supposed to validate trading future first round picks?

Looking at historical results of draft picks gives you an idea of the likelihood that you'll make a good choice with your pick. That doesn't mean it WILL turn out that way, of course. But thinking every draft pick is going to turn out like you hope is foolish.

If I had a good team and could trade a first-round pick for a 26-year-old Pro Bowl player, I'd do it every single season.

cowboy4eva

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2430325 said:
Looking at historical results of draft picks gives you an idea of the likelihood that you'll make a good choice with your pick. That doesn't mean it WILL turn out that way, of course. But thinking every draft pick is going to turn out like you hope is foolish.

If I had a good team and could trade a first-round pick for a 26-year-old Pro Bowl player, I'd do it every single season.
I'd give up a 1st rounder for the right 26 year old at the right position. I don't care for the Pro-Bowl so I don't exactly know what one is since Roy Williams (SS) technically is one.

I'm also not a fan of paying full value (IMO) on an acquisition midseason and when the guy is entering the last year of his deal (yes I know he was going to be franchised).

All that said I like RW and he had the best 3 catch 39 game I've ever seen on Sunday night. He is going to pay off big time for the Cowboys.

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
AdamJT13;2430325 said:

:hammer:

Rudy

Reaction score
Anyone remember when Spagnola stated after that Ware/Spears draft that the Spears pick was and would prove to be the bigger part of the draft, the piece that really will make this 3-4 work...
Now, I know everyone makes picks like this (but I figure since most here hate Spags that it'll bring a few smiles here) but I'm pretty sure the only bright side to the 3-4 has been the incredible DeMarcus Ware...For the record I am pro-3-4.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2429283 said:
He was going to be franchised in the offseason.

No way - or they would have kept and just paid him if they intended to Franchise him. Bonus and prorate/ He was not wanted there and hence traded.

He would have been a free agent and JJ wicked overpaid and gave him franchise level $. And gave away a #1 and a #3 in the Process.

JJ without Parcells/Ireland is going to hurt this team. It is starting to already show.