Creeper
Well-Known Member
- Messages
- 20,242
- Reaction score
- 26,165
Now that we have Joey Porter on the roster, and I am firmly in the positive on this trade, we need to temper expectations. Defense takes 11 guys. Porter will be one of them. I expect he will make the defense a little better but I do not expect miracles, and there is one caveat.
The HC and DC are not going to become geniuses just because they signed a quality CB. These two are still going to hold the Cowboys back. My enthusiasm for Porter is more about next year. I have high hopes with Porter, Q, Barham and Downs this defense can be something special next year and the year after IF the coaching improves.
With this talent on the roster, and behind these guys we have Bland, Overshown (if he can stay healthy), and Durant, with promise from Overton, Ezeiruaku and Lawrence I see no excuses for why this defense cannot excel this season and carryover into next season.
We've been saying if this defense was just average, this team can win a lot of games. This defense should be better than average - if CP or someone else can get them ready to play and let them succeed.
Porter is not THE answer. He is one answer to one issue on defense.
The HC and DC are not going to become geniuses just because they signed a quality CB. These two are still going to hold the Cowboys back. My enthusiasm for Porter is more about next year. I have high hopes with Porter, Q, Barham and Downs this defense can be something special next year and the year after IF the coaching improves.
With this talent on the roster, and behind these guys we have Bland, Overshown (if he can stay healthy), and Durant, with promise from Overton, Ezeiruaku and Lawrence I see no excuses for why this defense cannot excel this season and carryover into next season.
We've been saying if this defense was just average, this team can win a lot of games. This defense should be better than average - if CP or someone else can get them ready to play and let them succeed.
Porter is not THE answer. He is one answer to one issue on defense.
