What will Iggles get for Wentz

blueblood70

Reaction score
from what the internet is saying is so far the eagles are upset at the offers they received so far, they were hoping for stafford/goff type deal and its nowhere close..

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I was thinking maybe a 4th, and that's if they can even get someone to take that contract off their hands.

It would be hilarious if it turns out that the Eagles have to give up a pick for someone to take him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And that is not out of the realm of possibility.

Can the Iggles agree that as part of the trade they'll pay some of Wentz's salary? If the sticking point is Wentz's contract that might be part of a solution to move him...

Sydla

Reaction score
Key word is "asking". Just like Dak's contract demands, why wouldn't the Eagles ask for more than they will take? Think the Eagles will offer Wentz for the least they'll take? Leaving them no room to negotiate?

Doubt Jeffrey Lurie is that bad of a businessman...

There's a difference between asking for more and then being totally unrealistic. Based on much of the recent reporting, the Eagles are being so unrealistic that team inquiring aren't even bothering to counter because it's a waste of time.

Think of it like buying a house. I own the house and I am about to put it on the market in a development where a few houses recently sold for around $400K. Guy hears I might be selling and calls and asks how much for the house and I tell him, $750K despite the fact that my house isn't all that different than ones that sold recently.

That guy is likely going to just hang up the phone and not even make a counter offer because he realizes I am not being realistic. That appears to be what's going on in Philly where the Eagles think Wentz is worth 2 first round picks and more (like Stafford) when the league looks at Wentz and says he's basically Goff.

Sydla

Reaction score
At the end of the day, they may be able to squeeze out a first round pick, likely from the Colts or Bears, who have later 1st round picks but I suspect Philly may have to throw something else in to sweeten the deal.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Teams know the Eagles are in a tight spot, they'll take full advantage of that.
that and the rams way overpaid to move on from goff and get stafford..IMO they sort of lost that trade from asset standpoint but wanted to move on was their goal..

so using the rams trade as blueprint was the issue as thats a one off deal not the market..rams feel their window closing have leveraged all 1st round draft picks, the cap etc. to win right now ie SB or bust..the eagles are not even close and teams like the colts are not desperate....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
There's a difference between asking for more and then being totally unrealistic.

Yes but who's to say the Eagles' demand 1. actually was "unrealistic" and 2. the demand was what was said in the media?

Have the Eagles officially come out and said what they want for Wentz? No, they're not going to do that, no team is. All we have is "reports" and "rumors". There were "reports" a couple of days ago the trade was "imminent" and even had the details noted.

But here we are days later and no trade has happened.

Everybody wants to be "right" and "first" about the trade.

Fact is we won't know what the deal is until it's done, it may be leaked just before it's "officially" announced, but that still means the deal was completed

Even after it's done there will be people that say it was a bad deal, regardless of if all the Eagles get is a ham sandwich for Wentz....

Sydla

Reaction score
Yes but who's to say the Eagles' demand 1. actually was "unrealistic" and 2. the demand was what was said in the media?

Have the Eagles officially come out and said what they want for Wentz? No, they're not going to do that, no team is. All we have is "reports" and "rumors". There were "reports" a couple of days ago the trade was "imminent" and even had the details noted.

But here we are days later and no trade has happened.

Everybody wants to be "right" and "first" about the trade.

Fact is we won't know what the deal is until it's done, it may be leaked just before it's "officially" announced, but that still means the deal was completed

Even after it's done there will be people that say it was a bad deal, regardless of if all the Eagles get is a ham sandwich for Wentz....

All of this is predicated on media reports. But I live up here locally in the Philly area and there are some really good and plugged in beat reporters that are saying what some of the national media guys are saying - that Philly is way overvaluing Wentz and asking for at least two first round picks, which is preposterous.

I am just countering your point that seems to be Philly should ask for whatever they want because it's a negotiation. But there is such a thing of starting at such a high asking cost that it turns buyers off. One, teams are less likely to take them seriously, two, it likely extends the period the Eagles would want to trade Wentz (they have a big roster bonus due hanging over their heads)............

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Gonna say a 2nd and a conditional 4th.

Why do you and others feel the need to start threads worrying about what other teams do or get in some possible trade? Are you out of new things to talk about with the Cowboys?

Sydla

Reaction score
Why do you and others feel the need to start threads worrying about what other teams do or get in some possible trade? Are you out of new things to talk about with the Cowboys?

1) People like to talk about non-Cowboys related football items because we enjoy football in general.
2) This has an effect on the Cowboys as it's a rival making a potential trade (surely it would be better for the Cowboys if they traded Wentz for a 3rd round pick as opposed to two first round picks)
3) You sound like a cranky old man

Sydla

Reaction score
Chicago guy who runs the Bears version of BtB is saying he's hearing the Bears are growing impatient with the Eagles. Bears offered a couple of 2nd rounders but Eagles want more. Colts aren't budging on their offer and Philly wants Wentz out of NFC. So Bears may have upped their offer to a 2022 first round pick + 2021 3rd round pick + Foles for Wentz and 2021 6th round pick. Or 2021 1st round pick + 4th rounder in 2022 + Foles.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
All of this is predicated on media reports. But I live up here locally in the Philly area and there are some really good and plugged in beat reporters that are saying what some of the national media guys are saying - that Philly is way overvaluing Wentz and asking for at least two first round picks, which is preposterous.

I am just countering your point that seems to be Philly should ask for whatever they want because it's a negotiation. But there is such a thing of starting at such a high asking cost that it turns buyers off. One, teams are less likely to take them seriously, two, it likely extends the period the Eagles would want to trade Wentz (they have a big roster bonus due hanging over their heads)............

NFL teams aren't letting some too-high demand run them off from trying to get a player than they think can help their team, this isn't like buying a car or a house. They know how the negotiation game is played, lol.

They figure what they can pay or want to pay and try to get the player, it doesn't hurt them in the least to listen to what other teams want for a player...

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Have you ever watched a vulture just wait until the last breath is exhaled? The heartbeat in Philly, is getting faint.

Sydla

Reaction score
NFL teams aren't letting some too-high demand run them off from trying to get a player than they think can help their team, this isn't like buying a car or a house. They know how the negotiation game is played, lol.

They figure what they can pay or want to pay and try to get the player, it doesn't hurt them in the least to listen to what other teams want for a player...

If you believe multiple NFL reports, yes they are. Teams that have called Philly have basically not even made counter offers because Philly's asking price is so high.

If the value you put in a player is so astronomically high, you run the risk of just turning teams off and they move onto other options. Maybe the Bears say Philly is being ridiculous and move onto Darnold. Or maybe they say shoot, if Philly wants two first rounders, why not just offer a similar package to Houston for Watson?

HungryLion

Reaction score

One thing you have to remember is that the other teams have time on their side and the eagles don’t.

the other teams don’t need to trade for Wentz RIGHT NOW. They have time before they need him to start getting ready for the season.

the eagles want to to do the trade prior to owing Wentz a roster bonus.

so I would not be surprised if the other teams are playing hard ball with the eagles and waiting out the clock.

the longer time goes. The more desperate the eagles get. Not the other team.

So that could be why the eagles say “we want two firsts” and the other team just hangs up or says no dice and then offers the eagles much less or say not interested right now but maybe we will call you back later.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we have the tendency to try and complicate something simple.

Every GM and HC with a QB issue has to at least give the appearance of trying to upgrade. The fans, those that buy tickets and merch, expect their team to make the effort.

Wentz is not the 32nd rated QB and he has proven he can play at a high level, whereas Darnold, Bridgewater, Hill, Winston, Garoppolo and Trubisky haven't really done that. And I am talking about the appearance of this, the fact that their team is doing something. Watson is the trade prize but at what cost? Next in line would be Wentz.

Every team has to spend the minimum % of the cap so it's money already spent. They're going to give that money to some QB so why not him?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

tenor.gif

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score

We can always talk about Dak Prescott's contract situation, it hasn't been talked enough.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
We can always talk about Dak Prescott's contract situation, it hasn't been talked enough.

Oh I see there's is just Prescott and what other teams do to talk about. I'm sorry that your thinking abilities are so limited.