What will the 2009 Cowboys look like?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Obviously alot depends on the next 3 weeks and then what happens in the postseason (if they make it).

Even with all the injuries, not making the playoffs with this team would be a massive failure of epic proportions. The 2008 Cowboys would not only go down as the greatest underachieving team in franchise history, but also arguably modern NFL history.

If they dont make the playoffs, here are a few things I think:

1) Wade Phillips will not be back as HC. It will probably be Jason Garrett as HC, but its probably not the slam dunk it was before this season started. Jones loves Mike Holmgren, and Holmgren probably has an awful taste in his mouth about these last two seasons, especially this one. Probably a longshot as Holmgren reportedly wants to take the year off, but you never know.

2) I dont think Terrell Owens will be on the team, especially if he has a public blow-up during or after a game. Miles Austin will get a contract extension and probably win the starting job opp Roy Williams, and Crayton will be the #3 guy.

3) I dont think Adam Jones will be here either.

4) #38 RW has probably played his last game in Dallas too, barring him doing a major restructuring of his contract.

5) I dont think our starting DE's will be the same next yr, I know Canty is a free agent, but am unsure of Spears' contract status. Spears is one of the few players who has definitely improved and played up to/past people's expectations.

6) On defense, I expect we'll see one new starting DE, one new ILB (replacing Zach Thomas, although his replacement could be Kevin Burnett, who's also a free agent), one new starting safety (could be Henry, but wont be surprised if its somebody not here). Mike Jenkins will be the other starting CB.

7) On offense, Holland will be the new permanent starter at LG.

8) If Phillips isnt here as HC, it will be very interesting to see what happens at DC. It certainly wont be Brian Stewart, who might not be back even if Phillips is.

9) We'll have a new special teams coach regardless of who is here as HC.

10) There will without a doubt be a new backup QB here next yr, perhaps two new QB's. (One vet and one rookie, perhaps a mid to late rd pick)

11) I wont be surprised if Norv Turner is on our staff next yr in some capacity.

If we do make the playoffs (which means we probably have finished 3-0) but have little or no success then Jones will have to do some thinking. I'd guess it'd be 50-50 that Phillips would be back then. If we win a game, two or three I think Jones would lean towards bringing Phillips back, especially if the winning is because of the continued great defensive play.

Just food for thought.

:starspin

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
If this team doesn't make the playoffs or gets blown out of the playoffs, I expect Jerry to make wholesale changes..in the coaching staff. This team has talent and Jerry wants this team in the SuperBowl (especially in the Dallas hosted game) so he will spend the money. There is no salary cap with the coaching staff so I can see Jones making a run at Cowher. If he gets Cowher he may also be able to get Dick LeBeu to run the defense. Norv Turner would make sense to run the offense.

With the expected cap-saving cuts of Roy Williams, Greg Ellis, and Brad Johnson, the team should have enough room to bring in 1 name free agent. Jerry also has a lot of draft picks and not a lot of holes so I expect him to package picks and move up in the draft.

But after saying all that...I still believe that the Boys have the talent and now the motivation (ESPN and the world versus Us) to win this thing now. If that happens, I can see Wade retiring and Garrett getting the promised promotion.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
terrell owens and jones better be the hell out of here.

jason garrett takes over as qb coach.

jerry jones resigns as gm and be satisfied as an owner...which is all he is.

wade can either be dc or head coach for one more year.

we hire steve mariucci as our next head coach.

i can dream can't i?

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Their 2009 Uniforms

2292580770_8b2ffea53a.jpg

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
dbair1967;2488065 said:
1) Wade Phillips will not be back as HC. It will probably be Jason Garrett as HC, but its probably not the slam dunk it was before this season started. Jones loves Mike Holmgren, and Holmgren probably has an awful taste in his mouth about these last two seasons, especially this one. Probably a longshot as Holmgren reportedly wants to take the year off, but you never know.
Got a feeling Wade will be back and minimal changes on the staff.

2) I dont think Terrell Owens will be on the team, especially if he has a public blow-up during or after a game. Miles Austin will get a contract extension and probably win the starting job opp Roy Williams, and Crayton will be the #3 guy.
TO will be here unless he actually does implode. That isn't going to happen.

He'll be here unless his neck forces him out of football.

4) #38 RW has probably played his last game in Dallas too, barring him doing a major restructuring of his contract.
I expect him to restructure and be back.

5) I dont think our starting DE's will be the same next yr, I know Canty is a free agent, but am unsure of Spears' contract status. Spears is one of the few players who has definitely improved and played up to/past people's expectations.
Both are Free Agents. I expect Spears back. I hope Canty is back but I don't know.

6) On defense, I expect we'll see one new starting DE, one new ILB (replacing Zach Thomas, although his replacement could be Kevin Burnett, who's also a free agent), one new starting safety (could be Henry, but wont be surprised if its somebody not here). Mike Jenkins will be the other starting CB.
I see one new DE, not the rest. Agree on Jenkins.

I think so too.

8) If Phillips isnt here as HC, it will be very interesting to see what happens at DC. It certainly wont be Brian Stewart, who might not be back even if Phillips is.
If things blow up in San Fran, Manusky would be my guess if Wade is back. If Garrett moves up, Capers.

I sure hope so.

10) There will without a doubt be a new backup QB here next yr, perhaps two new QB's. (One vet and one rookie, perhaps a mid to late rd pick)
Beck and Bollinger.

11) I wont be surprised if Norv Turner is on our staff next yr in some capacity.
I will be, unless Jason is the HC and he comes here at OC.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
Boobs? I sure hope so.

...oh wait...they already look like boobs. Thanks Werder! You're my hero!

...brought to you by anonymous sources.

lwehlers

Reaction score
dbair1967;2488065 said:
Obviously alot depends on the next 3 weeks and then what happens in the postseason (if they make it).

Even with all the injuries, not making the playoffs with this team would be a massive failure of epic proportions. The 2008 Cowboys would not only go down as the greatest underachieving team in franchise history, but also arguably modern NFL history.

If they dont make the playoffs, here are a few things I think:

If we do make the playoffs (which means we probably have finished 3-0) but have little or no success then Jones will have to do some thinking. I'd guess it'd be 50-50 that Phillips would be back then. If we win a game, two or three I think Jones would lean towards bringing Phillips back, especially if the winning is because of the continued great defensive play.

Just food for thought.

:starspin

if we somehow make the playoffs and win a game then wade is almost a lock to be here next year. did jones not sign owens to a three year deal with a ten million bonus? there is no way we can handle that cap hit on releasing him.so i guess we are stuck with another year. now if wade is not here and we do not get a big name head coach then garrett will be our head coach next year. i also believe that we will scrap the defense and go back to a 4-3 defense. we already have a dominant right end that you need to make the defense work spencer can play the left. we will keep ellis i bet because he is cheap, we just need a weak outside lb to play in the 4-3.
i am reaching a bit i know. this season has just been so disappointing so far it just a shame with all of this talent we have nothing to show for it. i am hoping for a win tomorrow but after this weeks blowup. i just do not know how this team is going to be able to win another game. there is so much hatered between to many players to actually want to win. i just think that they would just want to hurry up and get the season over with.

Batman

Reaction score
Hopefully the 2009 Cowboys will have Stephen Jones as owner, because he finally got Jerry committed. Once this happens, I think Stephen will do a good job as owner and be the complete opposite of his dad.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
My guess is exactly like our current team, but with some new draftees.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
theogt;2488209 said:

sounds like something a lawyer might say.

sorry theo....can't resist.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
lane;2488214 said:
sounds like something a lawyer might say.

sorry theo....can't resist.
You should throw in a lawyer joke every now and then.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
theogt;2488216 said:
You should throw in a lawyer joke every now and then.

what do you call a thousand lawyers in the bottom of the ocean?

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
theogt;2488209 said:

That's my guess. Unless that is an enormous blow up by Owens I can't see him being gone and by the way Jerry talks about Adam Jones I doubt very seriously that he's going anywhere, provided he's able to stay out of trouble.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Assuming we either don't make the playoffs or go 1 and done...

HC - Bill Cowher

OC - Someone of Cowher's choice

DC - Dom Capers

Jason Garrett - sure, he's stunk it up this year, but he'll still be an attractive HC candidate.

Terrell Owens - won't be back

Pacman Jones - tough one...unlike Owens, he's not a divisive team cancer. Heck, Cowher put up with Burress, so he may very well give Pacman a shot.

Greg Ellis - I think he's gone. So much for TO being jealous of Witten, I think Ellis is even more jealous of Spencer.

Roy38 - gone...I think Hamlin takes his place at SS.

Kyle Kosier - if he recovers from injury, he'll be back.

Jay Ratliffe - will move to end, and Cowher will unearth a mamoth 3-4 DT.

Zach Thomas - we don't have a #1 pick, so he will likely stay. Cowher will likely draft an ILB in the 3rd round and groom him for a year.

Anthony Henry - resigned and moved to FS.

Roy11 - Becomes our #1...with an entire offseason to familiarize with the playbook, he'll become a force next year.

Miles Austin - Becomes our #2.

As for Norv Turner-he'll still be the Chargers coach in '09, assuming they finish strong.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
theogt;2488224 said:
Heard it. :)

i like you theo..

i have nothing but respect for someone that has the capability to pass a bar exam.

i'm an industrial electrician and i do admire people with the smarts you have.

i think i'm gifted in what i do....but i do not have the paperwork skills and keeping several cases coherently in my mind like you are about to deal with.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
lane;2488236 said:
i like you theo..

i have nothing but respect for someone that has the capability to pass a bar exam.

i'm an industrial electrician and i do admire people with the smarts you have.

i think i'm gifted in what i do....but i do not have the paperwork skills and keeping several cases coherently in my mind like you are about to deal with.
:beer2: