Twitter: What would Dak's contract value be right now if they didn't resign him?

Zordon

Reaction score
If the Cowboys hadn't resigned him before the season and let's assume he played the exact same way, what would his contract value be right at this very minute? 40M AAV?

Also, name the NFL teams that would be fighting tooth and nail to sign him. Raiders? Who else?

Jerry Jones has made a catastrophic mistake.

Mikexike

Reaction score
There was zero reason to extend Dak

None, nada, zilch.

You didn’t even use the cap savings this season to sign other players.

Extending his contract was one of the worst decisions I’ve ever see a front office make.
Jerry needed to just let dak play out the contract and now we are stuck with a lemon we can't even get rid of.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
...and so many of us called for just that. We begged for it... I really don't understand in what universe extending Dak was a good idea? I don't care for what money, the extension itself is the problem. Not the money.

Where are the "what's your alternative" people? What's yours now?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The way QB salaries go right now I don't think it would make a difference. Not making excuses for Dak but it's clear he does not have the protection, running game, or receivers outside of Lamb that he needs to produce at a high level. Having said that I think he is pressing and taking too many unnecessary risks with the football.

As for the teams in need that would probably have gone after Dak, I would say the Raiders, Giants, Panthers, Browns, Dolphins, Patriots, Jets, Saints, Steelers, Seahawks, and Titans would all have varied levels of interest if he would have become available.

Steve007

Reaction score
If the Cowboys hadn't resigned him before the season and let's assume he played the exact same way, what would his contract value be right at this very minute? 40M AAV?

Also, name the NFL teams that would be fighting tooth and nail to sign him. Raiders? Who else?

I thought Jerry was going to be smart and wait to see how he played this season. Jerry really screwed up. He gambled on the Cowboys future and lost. I have to hand it to Dak. He conned Jerry worse than Jerry conned the fans.

diamonddelts

Reaction score

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
The NFL will learn eventually. Don't pay a QB unless they get you to a SB on their rookie contract. Dump those that don't. Yes, you might get rid of a guy that wins a SB elsewhere, but that is a low percentage chance, and an outlier even if it does happen. You will be much more successful long term following the "only pay a QB who gets you there on their rookie deal" plan.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
The Dak deal actually saves the Cowboys money. If Dallas let him play out his deal and walk he would have counted $25 million in dead money against the cap in 2025 (remember his 2021 deal included two "ghost" seasons that Dallas could push future money into).

Cap-wise the Cowboys are now in great shape for the next couple of years. The problem is they could have done the Dak and Lamb deals back in March and saved that money in 2024. That would have allowed them to build a more competitive team than this.

They are paying the price for sitting on their butts all offseason.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
The Dak deal actually saves the Cowboys money. If Dallas let him play out his deal and walk he would have counted $25 million in dead money against the cap in 2025 (remember his 2021 deal included two "ghost" seasons that Dallas could push future money into).

Cap-wise the Cowboys are now in great shape for the next couple of years. The problem is they could have done the Dak and Lamb deals back in March and saved that money in 2024. That would have allowed them to build a more competitive team than this.

They are paying the price for sitting on their butts all offseason.
:facepalm:

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Good question. Probably still more than cousins due to age. You also have to factor in that the cap will jump up again next year, so maybe in the $50-55 range???