Twitter: What would Dak's contract value be right now if they didn't resign him?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Dak's playing the same level of football he has since about 2019 or '20. He's a sum-of-the-parts QB, and the parts around him right now are a broken OL, some sub-NFL RBs, two borderline NFL WRs, and a swiss-cheese defense.

Dude is the same guy from last season, he's just on a worse team and didn't luck into facing the 32nd ranked slate of pass defenses.

I would say that Dak's not a bad player, so much as he's a player with a ceiling. I would love to see him and Jared Goff switch teams, because IMO, they are very similar talents.

What's Dak worth on the open market... it's tough to say, cause the QB market is so broken. And IMO, it's due for a reset. How many Jameis Winstons and Joe Flaccos and Baker Mayfields have we seen just jump in and provide at least an adequate level of QB play for pennies on the dollar.

There's a two-tier QB market right now. Any starting QB gets a top-of-the-market, $50+ deal, even for guys whose teams have some serious misgivings (Daniel Jones, Murray, Tua, etc). And backups get like $5M max. I would like to see a $20M-$30M QB middle class emerge, for "trailer" QBs who can play well but aren't going to carry your team. Dak would slot in around there.

But that market doesn't really exist yet, and it won't until some NFL owners start saying "no" to their starter when he's up for a new deal.

Bagman

Reaction score
Right now he's on par with Jameis Winston. Pocket guy with a few good years of numbers, mistake prone player and as mobile as the Gatorade bucket. No more than $10-15 million per

HonoluluCowboy

Reaction score
The Dak deal actually saves the Cowboys money. If Dallas let him play out his deal and walk he would have counted $25 million in dead money against the cap in 2025 (remember his 2021 deal included two "ghost" seasons that Dallas could push future money into).

Cap-wise the Cowboys are now in great shape for the next couple of years. The problem is they could have done the Dak and Lamb deals back in March and saved that money in 2024. That would have allowed them to build a more competitive team than this.

They are paying the price for sitting on their butts all offseason.
Amazing some still defend this loser and proudly wear their Dak Jammie’s

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
It's fact. If Dallas let Dak walk next year they would be paying $25 million in cap space to a player no longer on the roster. Remember they had Tony Romo on the books three years after he took his last snap.

That's a big price to pay just so you can say "Dak isn't here anymore". It's also mental gymnastics to think the only problem with this team right now is quarterback play.
No, that just would have been the price for making that mistake the first time and take corrective action. But at least it would have meant an end. How is this situation better?

And don't tell me other GMs are doing it too. Zeke's old contract counts twice as much against the cap as he's earning from his current contract. That's just beyond stupid. They love to eat up cap hits when it extends a problem. But shy away from doing it when it would solve one.

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score
If the Cowboys hadn't resigned him before the season and let's assume he played the exact same way, what would his contract value be right at this very minute? 40M AAV?

Also, name the NFL teams that would be fighting tooth and nail to sign him. Raiders? Who else?

Jerry Jones has made a catastrophic mistake.
Steelers.

stiletto

Reaction score
I don't know how much Dak would've gotten but I wish to christ we could've found out ..

Chasing6

Reaction score
Dak's playing the same level of football he has since about 2019 or '20. He's a sum-of-the-parts QB, and the parts around him right now are a broken OL, some sub-NFL RBs, two borderline NFL WRs, and a swiss-cheese defense.

Dude is the same guy from last season, he's just on a worse team and didn't luck into facing the 32nd ranked slate of pass defenses.

I would say that Dak's not a bad player, so much as he's a player with a ceiling. I would love to see him and Jared Goff switch teams, because IMO, they are very similar talents.

What's Dak worth on the open market... it's tough to say, cause the QB market is so broken. And IMO, it's due for a reset. How many Jameis Winstons and Joe Flaccos and Baker Mayfields have we seen just jump in and provide at least an adequate level of QB play for pennies on the dollar.

There's a two-tier QB market right now. Any starting QB gets a top-of-the-market, $50+ deal, even for guys whose teams have some serious misgivings (Daniel Jones, Murray, Tua, etc). And backups get like $5M max. I would like to see a $20M-$30M QB middle class emerge, for "trailer" QBs who can play well but aren't going to carry your team. Dak would slot in around there.

But that market doesn't really exist yet, and it won't until some NFL owners start saying "no" to their starter when he's up for a new deal.
Most QB's are.

If your theory of the sum of all parts is accurate. Then what is really going on with Mountain Mahomes.

If Dak had 120+ rushing yards a game and a great defense he stats would be a lot better.

Can you imagine what Mahomes stats would be with no defense and only 70 yards rushing a game.