Twitter: What would Dak's contract value be right now if they didn't resign him?

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I get the anti-Dak sentiment right now, but you're all acting like agents and the NFL Players Association doesn't exist.

Any deal Dak would have gotten on the open market next year would have been similar to the one the Cowboys gave him. Period.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Now that is some next level mental gymnastics
It's fact. If Dallas let Dak walk next year they would be paying $25 million in cap space to a player no longer on the roster. Remember they had Tony Romo on the books three years after he took his last snap.

That's a big price to pay just so you can say "Dak isn't here anymore". It's also mental gymnastics to think the only problem with this team right now is quarterback play.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Again, how many of us predicted that a "prove it" season would not go well for Dak & France?

This is far from something no once had any inkling about.

tomsanders921

Reaction score
I get the anti-Dak sentiment right now, but you're all acting like agents and the NFL Players Association doesn't exist.

Any deal Dak would have gotten on the open market next year would have been similar to the one the Cowboys gave him. Period.
But it wouldn't have been any higher with the way he has played.

That's the whole problem with extending him when they did.

If he had a good year and took the next step in the playoffs, I would have no problem giving him a record contract in the off-season.

But the cowboys gave him a record contract when they didn't need to. And now there is no way out of it. The only hope the team has going forward is that Dak turns it around, which ain't happening with this roster and coaching staff

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
But it wouldn't have been any higher with the way he has played.

That's the whole problem with extending him when they did.

If he had a good year and took the next step in the playoffs, I would have no problem giving him a record contract in the off-season.

But the cowboys gave him a record contract when they didn't need to. And now there is no way out of it. The only hope the team has going forward is that Dak turns it around, which ain't happening with this roster and coaching staff
The cap will go up every year. Soon several QB's will surpass Dak in salary. And if the Cowboys REALLY wanted to blow it up and rebuild, they could still cut him, endure cap hell for a while, and tank for some high draft picks in the process.

But Jerry will never admit he made any errors nor will he ever punt on a season, at least not entirely.

tomsanders921

Reaction score
The cap will go up every year. Soon several QB's will surpass Dak in salary. And if the Cowboys REALLY wanted to blow it up and rebuild, they could still cut him, endure cap hell for a while, and tank for some high draft picks in the process.

But Jerry will never admit he made any errors nor will he ever punt on a season, at least not entirely.
Yeah the cap goes up every year, but so does the cap hit of all these guys they have given bad contracts to.

The way they work the cap is they don't spend so they can roll it over to the next year when those cap hits go up. By doing that, they keep those bad contracts on the books when they should just rip the band aid off and cut/trade someone.

Jerry and Stephen have no idea how to manage the salary cap. Every other good team has the ability to sign free agents but Dallas always goes shopping in the bargain bin because they don't know how to work big contracts.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
It's fact. If Dallas let Dak walk next year they would be paying $25 million in cap space to a player no longer on the roster. Remember they had Tony Romo on the books three years after he took his last snap.

That's a big price to pay just so you can say "Dak isn't here anymore". It's also mental gymnastics to think the only problem with this team right now is quarterback play.
Dak isn’t the only problem with this team, he’s a decent qb, the issue is the cowboys have a ton of holes that need addressed ( DT, WR, RB, OL, S, LB) but they don’t have a lot of resources to do so. Essentially the cowboys were not in a position to pay a good qb elite money.

Yes next year they avoid $25m in dead money but are on the hook for $89m instead. I’m not sure how that saves money.

Brax

Reaction score
The Dak deal actually saves the Cowboys money. If Dallas let him play out his deal and walk he would have counted $25 million in dead money against the cap in 2025 (remember his 2021 deal included two "ghost" seasons that Dallas could push future money into).

Cap-wise the Cowboys are now in great shape for the next couple of years. The problem is they could have done the Dak and Lamb deals back in March and saved that money in 2024. That would have allowed them to build a more competitive team than this.

They are paying the price for sitting on their butts all offseason.
You really need to look at the cap numbers again for the next few years because you are flat out wrong.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At least the Eagles realized their mistake and rectified it. Jerry will double down, if anything.
And the Eagles were smart enough to give themselves an out.

Big and Little Enos guarantee their deals, locking themselves in.

When THEY make a mistake, they’re sure to make it IRREVERSIBLE.

Brax

Reaction score

Much better to have a 89million dollar cap hit next year, Jerry is that you trying to sell BS again

Creeper

Reaction score
You mean next year? He would still be signed for this year had Jerry not extended him.

This is a good question because if Jerry waited and Dak played like he is playing, I cannot imagine anyone in the league giving him $60 million - or $55 million for that matter. But remember, Dak was 2nd in the MVP voting last year. Coming off that season I am sure someone would have given him a big contract. I do wonder if Dak had not been extended, how would he be playing this year? I think the big contract has hurt Dak. I think he thinks he needs to play up to his salary and it has put a lot of pressure on him. And we all know Dak does not excel playing under pressure.

Let's assume you take Jerry out of the picture and Dak is a free agent. Dak's demands go out the window at that point. He would get what the highest bidder offers and if that is $55 million instead of $60 million then it would be what he would have to take. Jerry is probably the only owner to give in completely to Dak. Jerry likes Dak and he lets his personal feeling get in the way of his decisions. That's why Amari Cooper was acquired for a 1st round pick and given away for a 5th round pick.

But I would also contend that Jerry is not alone in the category of dumb GMs. Trevor Lawrence got a deal way more than he deserves too.