What would have a healthy Romo done in 2016?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The team came out flat and went down 3-21
Yep..Against a battered defense . No excuse the way our offense had been that year.

But those slow starts would unfortunately become more common needing heroic comebacks that also all too often would come up short.

We finally came back to take the lead but we didn’t put the final nail in the coffin leaving our defense vulnerable .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I stated if he can't stay on the field, which he couldn't. When he healed up and was healthy enough he retired.
He didn’t retire until he was benched after returning healthy.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
They committed to dak and didnt want to offend him by letting tony play out that season.
Stephen looked at daks salary and his eyes got as big as the moon ! then he smiled and said we have to go with dak!

had they gone with tony they might have won a SB, we will never know.
I guess jones boys didnt care about the no rookie ever winning a sb thing.
They were more concerned about losing again with Romo after benching their hot hand . Ultimately it was better publicly to lose with Dak than risk losing with Romo again.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Imagine being a teammate and your livelihood and career depend on a successful season. I don't know a single athlete that would have gambled to put Romo back in.
He didn’t retire until he was benched after returning healthy.
I know when he retired. The point is he didn't or couldn't play any longer. The writing was on the wall in the preseason.
Surely a highly competitive player like Romo would have kept playing if his body didn't break down.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Imagine being a teammate and your livelihood and career depend on a successful season. I don't know a single athlete that would have gambled to put Romo back in.

I know when he retired. The point is he didn't or couldn't play any longer. The writing was on the wall in the preseason.
Surely a highly competitive player like Romo would have kept playing if his body didn't break down.
You did see him return in Philly. If not for the hot hand of Dak we would have certainly put him back in to start.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Had Romo never gotten hurt in 2016, what would have the Cowboys done in 2016? A healthy Romo all season.

He would have probably taken another trip to Cabo with Witten and choked away another playoff loss. Though I liked Romo he wasn't exactly Mr. Clutch in the playoffs. In 6 playoff games Romo was 2-4 and the offense only put up 119 points or 19.8 points per game. In the 4 losses the offense only put up 61 points for 15.3 points per game.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Romo was my favorite quarterback of all time. If only he had decent Olines & coaches, he'd still be playing for Dallas today! Poor guy was so banged up. Garrett wasted him & a handful of other players.
Had a lot of respect for Romo for getting up after enduring some really devastatingly punishing hits, and sucking up the pain and remaining in the game.
Guy played with a punctured lung, well technically a pneumothorax, which is a small hole, but non the less, Romo took a beating in his career, not like he had the greatest OL ever.
Dak and Romo have a lot in common, and inferior OL and OC gameplan lead the list.
Romo used to have to draw up plays in the huddle, in the dirt if they happened to be standing on some.
Ive been rough on Dak, but I realize he has been enduring with much of the same leftovers that Romo dealt with as well to some degree.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Looks like the Dak chapter is similar to the Romo chapter. Not much to write about in the playoffs.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
He didn’t look like he could play?

It’s only the end for his career. Not a discussion.
You said yourself they went with the hot hand, after that season Romo chose to hang it up. The end.
I think it would have been very interesting to see what Romo could have done healthy, but he just battled through too many injuries.
Had he not retired, I may even have a different opinion on him playing and having Prescott under him. Though I think things worked for the best as I'm not sure Romo was much of the mentor type.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Romo would have led the Cowboys just as far as Dak did in 2016. Aaron Rodgers got us in the playoffs that year in a game Dak, as a rookie, threw for 302 yards and 3 touchdowns in.

The defense was the same so the 2016 Cowboys would have done the same with Romo or Dak at QB.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
You said yourself they went with the hot hand, after that season Romo chose to hang it up. The end.
I think it would have been very interesting to see what Romo could have done healthy, but he just battled through too many injuries.
Had he not retired, I may even have a different opinion on him playing and having Prescott under him. Though I think things worked for the best as I'm not sure Romo was much of the mentor type.
You said you can’t play if you can’t stay on the field which I don’t think anyone would disagree with . After he returned from injury he could have stayed on the field . He certainly looked capable to most. That was basis of my rebuttal.

At least we agree it would have been interesting to see what he could have done after he returned .

mrmojo

Reaction score
I didnt see anything pre 2016 that leads me to believe Romo would have led us to any type of championship......but yet his legend continues to grow...