What would Parsons bring in a trade scenario?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Normal team would put trade feelers out now. Probably get a couple of 1st rounders. But Dallas would wait till the last minute and only after the told everyone they had to trade him and get a 5th round pick.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For the record, if Parsons would fetch three first round picks I would probably ship him out unless the picks are expected to be very bottom of the round picks.
Right. But when was the last time Jerry traded a big talent for a ton of draft picks? Herschel Walker? And we all know that was Jimmy. Jerry doesn’t do trades where he gives up current talent for draft picks. Unless there’s one I’m forgetting.

The fundamental problem we as fans have to face: Compared to serious front offices across the league, the Jones boys don‘t know what they’re doing. Period. If they knew how to build a championship roster (which they haven’t done in the modern cap era without complete help from Jimmy Johnson) they would have already done it.

Jerry knows how to sell. He doesn’t know how to build a championship roster.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
you trade him immediately and say "we want whats best for you"

Dallas is going to waste his potential, which we dont know if its fully there, he disappears because hes worn down. Dan Quinn never played him correctly, but heres the thing, neither will Zimmer. So, for us, make a trade, wish him well because we know Dallas isnt biulding around him and CD, so whats the point of having the corvette if it sits in the garage and does nothing?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
If you could trade Parsons for either Mayes or McCarthy......take it. Find that QB....and start building.....why waste a season?

jay94

Reaction score
Considering he'll likely be the first to slow down, I think I would heavily entertain 2 first round picks, just because Dak and Lamb will account for so much salary room themselves.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I’m not advocating we trade Parsons. But every player has a price that you should consider trading him vs his cap expenditure. Parsons will likely be the highest paid defender EVER for the Cowboys.

How you fit a salary like that on a team with a $60M plus QB is a legitimate question. I see it as one or the other. Is Parsons more valuable than a franchise QB not named Dak? IDK. Doubtful but I will let you decide that for yourself.

Back to my question. What would Parsons fetch in a trade scenario? Two firsts? Three firsts? That and change in lower picks and an additional player or players?
My bigger concern is it is just a matter of time for an under sized DE, who is constantly being double teamed to either have injuries or slow down.

Once Micah losses a step, what type of player is he going to be? I view his career similar to Zeke. He is going take a pounding, then get a big payout, and we will watch his performance drastically decline.

Why??? Because we have a dumb GM. We had Pollard and did not use him early and ran Zeke to the ground. Only started using Pollard after Zeke lost a step or two.

Will GM Jeruh bring in another pass rusher to help prolong Micha's career? I doubt it.

The pounding Micah is taking is not sustainable. We see it every year year starting around week 11.

I good GM pays a player based off their future projected performance. GM Jeruh feels like he owes money to players that out performed their rookie contracts. Can't do that and be successful.

Trading players in their prime is a smart thing to do. Not saying it is easy and fans will like it, but they will respect it if you used the draft picks wisely and the cap space to fill holes.

I would trade any player for 2 number ones and $30M in cap space.

With the $30M you could sign an all pro player at any position accept QB. So you are losing one and receiving one in exchange, but now you have 2 additional draft picks.

Example. Let's say we traded Micah for 2 first round picks and signed Wilkins. I would take that all day.

Example. Let's say we traded CD for 2 first and saving us $30M a year. This draft is very deep at WR. We could draft 2 WR's to replace him and still have an extra $30M.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Right. But when was the last time Jerry traded a big talent for a ton of draft picks? Herschel Walker? And we all know that was Jimmy. Jerry doesn’t do trades where he gives up current talent for draft picks. Unless there’s one I’m forgetting.

The fundamental problem we as fans have to face: Compared to serious front offices across the league, the Jones boys don‘t know what they’re doing. Period. If they knew how to build a championship roster (which they haven’t done in the modern cap era without complete help from Jimmy Johnson) they would have already done it.

Jerry knows how to sell. He doesn’t know how to build a championship roster.
It is not just for drag picks. Parsons will be demand $30M+ and he will be a high risk injury player with the beating he takes undersized.

Examplle. Let's us this year. $30M could have signed Wilkins and you still have 2 first round picks.

Chasing6

Reaction score
you trade him immediately and say "we want whats best for you"

Dallas is going to waste his potential, which we dont know if its fully there, he disappears because hes worn down. Dan Quinn never played him correctly, but heres the thing, neither will Zimmer. So, for us, make a trade, wish him well because we know Dallas isnt biulding around him and CD, so whats the point of having the corvette if it sits in the garage and does nothing?
Trade Parsons before the trade deadline. He is only productive half the year anyway. We will get 75% of his sacks in the first 8 games of the year.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Easily Two 1st and 2 mid level players.
I'd probably take that to be honest. On top of that 30 million a year saved. Obviously losing Parsons would suck but you could realistically upgrade 5 of the front 7 positions with that trade + cap

Landryhat73

Reaction score
I’m not advocating we trade Parsons. But every player has a price that you should consider trading him vs his cap expenditure. Parsons will likely be the highest paid defender EVER for the Cowboys.

How you fit a salary like that on a team with a $60M plus QB is a legitimate question. I see it as one or the other. Is Parsons more valuable than a franchise QB not named Dak? IDK. Doubtful but I will let you decide that for yourself.

Back to my question. What would Parsons fetch in a trade scenario? Two firsts? Three firsts? That and change in lower picks and an additional player or players?
Probably 2 first, similar to the Khalil Mack trade the Bears made in 2018.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
The only nonQB in recent memory who went for more than 2 firsts was Laremy Tunsil, and that’s because Houston was having management problems and horribly overpaid. Even then, it was 2 fists and a second (with some non impactful player swaps included on both sides).

2 firsts is probably the baseline, similar to what Oakland got for Khalil. Oakland sent Khalil and a second for two firsts and a third, so not quite 2 full first rounders.