CFZ What Would You Have Done at WR?

ghst187

Reaction score
It's 2 games in. Let's see what happens by say, game 10. Then we'll have a better feel for affirmation or regret. I agree, we clearly had room to pay Cooper, especially if we'd restructured his contract, but there was obviously more to the decision.

agree but I think the “more to the decision” was Amari’s frustration with either Dak missing him being open all the time or the offense in general and the vaccination thing, which made Jerry mad. I think Amari definitely had a right to be upset with how much he was being missed despite open and he has def been proven correct on the other decision too. If indeed those are the reasons, then bad on our FO for being dumb. Amari was our best player on offense and instead of listening to him, we ditched him. Then to compound things, our idiot owner broadcasts that we were desperate to ditch him. Any FO with half a brain would’ve gotten at least a third or second round pick. Not sure the Pats wouldn’t have gotten a first for him. It was all around dumb and could’ve probably been worked out for everyone’s benefit. We don’t know what was said internally but from my optic, anything said internally can be forgiven…and I didn’t see anything he said publicly that was very bad.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
agree but I think the “more to the decision” was Amari’s frustration with either Dak missing him being open all the time or the offense in general and the vaccination thing, which made Jerry mad. I think Amari definitely had a right to be upset with how much he was being missed despite open and he has def been proven correct on the other decision too. If indeed those are the reasons, then bad on our FO for being dumb. Amari was our best player on offense and instead of listening to him, we ditched him. Then to compound things, our idiot owner broadcasts that we were desperate to ditch him. Any FO with half a brain would’ve gotten at least a third or second round pick. Not sure the Pats wouldn’t have gotten a first for him. It was all around dumb and could’ve probably been worked out for everyone’s benefit. We don’t know what was said internally but from my optic, anything said internally can be forgiven…and I didn’t see anything he said publicly that was very bad.
I have to disagree on one point. I believe our FO does have half a brain.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’ve seen some outlandish reasoning for why the team should have kept the 3 WR’s together. Not sure if we understand how people build rosters but there’s no such thing as paying big deals to 3 WR’s. That just an insane way to allocate your cap funds.

Yes the vaccine and heart/passion issues were thrown around for Coop, but those were more as pros and cons for which WR to keep. The decision to only pay 2 guys moving forward was obvious, they just had to decide who.

The hope is Gallup is a good WR2 at half the cost of Cooper and Lamb steps into the WR1 role and gets the big bucks.

I’m not saying that will happen but the plan wasn’t crazy. Cooper playing well has nothing to do with it, we didn’t trade him due to not being able to play well.

You can’t keep all three once they get off rookie deals and you can’t pay two number 1’s (poor roster management) so you have only two options. A) Cooper and Gallup or B) Lamb and Gallup. Team chose B and it’s not an illogical one. Lamb is younger and was drafted by them. Coop is good but you know his highs. Lamb has the upside to maybe be more so they bet on that.

I know some (most) of us are prisoners of the moment so Coop’s stock is sky high right now while Lamb’s may not be. But by stepping back and looking at the two options outlined in the previous paragraph, what would y’all have done?

I think it was completely logical to bet on Ceedee your first round pick as we know what we have in Cooper.
  • If Cooper had lived up to expectations in terms of production and expectations that a veteran #1 WR should be a leader...
    • He would have remained on the team in 2022 regardless of his salary.
    • They're not paying CeeDee big money in 2022.
    • Gallup is only a 4.5M cap hit in 2022.
    • Your concept would be true if they were paying 2 other WRs big money, but they're not doing that in 2022.
    • They have CeeDee under contract for 2023 and have the 5th year option for 2024.
    • Bottom Line: A 20M per year #1 WR should not have less catches than the 2nd WR.
    • Cooper and CeeDee had a very similar number of snaps. Both in the mid 800 range.
  • Catches in 2021:
    • Amari Cooper: 68 in 834 snaps played.
    • Davante Adams: 123 in 886 snaps played.
Even middle of the pack WRs like Terry McLaurin in Washington had more catches than Cooper.

Cooper also 'called out' the coaches which just can't be tolerated.
- Jimmy and Belichick would never tolerate that type of behavior from any player.

Add in the Covid ordeal, and it was not a difficult decision to dump Cooper and his 20M salary.

Ren

Reaction score
I would have kept Cooper, tried to get Gallup done, but moved on if he was to expensive and drafted a 3rd which we did. So i guess the only thing i would have done differently at the time would be to prioritize Cooper over Gallup

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I’ve seen some outlandish reasoning for why the team should have kept the 3 WR’s together. Not sure if we understand how people build rosters but there’s no such thing as paying big deals to 3 WR’s. That just an insane way to allocate your cap funds.

Yes the vaccine and heart/passion issues were thrown around for Coop, but those were more as pros and cons for which WR to keep. The decision to only pay 2 guys moving forward was obvious, they just had to decide who.

The hope is Gallup is a good WR2 at half the cost of Cooper and Lamb steps into the WR1 role and gets the big bucks.

I’m not saying that will happen but the plan wasn’t crazy. Cooper playing well has nothing to do with it, we didn’t trade him due to not being able to play well.

You can’t keep all three once they get off rookie deals and you can’t pay two number 1’s (poor roster management) so you have only two options. A) Cooper and Gallup or B) Lamb and Gallup. Team chose B and it’s not an illogical one. Lamb is younger and was drafted by them. Coop is good but you know his highs. Lamb has the upside to maybe be more so they bet on that.

I know some (most) of us are prisoners of the moment so Coop’s stock is sky high right now while Lamb’s may not be. But by stepping back and looking at the two options outlined in the previous paragraph, what would y’all have done?

I think it was completely logical to bet on Ceedee your first round pick as we know what we have in Cooper.
Absolutely right, as soon as Lamb was drafted, they weren't going to be able to keep all 3 once these rookie contracts expired. What would I have done different? Probably sign a better veteran then James Washington. Let's see how the offense is once Dak, Gallup and Washington are all back before we make judgement.

817Gill

Reaction score
Absolutely right, as soon as Lamb was drafted, they weren't going to be able to keep all 3 once these rookie contracts expired. What would I have done different? Probably sign a better veteran then James Washington. Let's see how the offense is once Dak, Gallup and Washington are all back before we make judgement.
Yup exactly how I see it

blueblood70

Reaction score
Yup exactly how I see it
x3..some of us are more patient and have our eyes open. others well like to create drama..the plan all along was Dak at QB throwing to Lamb, Gallup and Washington before Brown, Turpin and the rooks ..Let the plan develop, then we can debate this.

ghst187

Reaction score
  • If Cooper had lived up to expectations in terms of production and expectations that a veteran #1 WR should be a leader...
    • He would have remained on the team in 2022 regardless of his salary.
    • They're not paying CeeDee big money in 2022.
    • Gallup is only a 4.5M cap hit in 2022.
    • Your concept would be true if they were paying 2 other WRs big money, but they're not doing that in 2022.
    • They have CeeDee under contract for 2023 and have the 5th year option for 2024.
    • Bottom Line: A 20M per year #1 WR should not have less catches than the 2nd WR.
    • Cooper and CeeDee had a very similar number of snaps. Both in the mid 800 range.
  • Catches in 2021:
    • Amari Cooper: 68 in 834 snaps played.
    • Davante Adams: 123 in 886 snaps played.
Even middle of the pack WRs like Terry McLaurin in Washington had more catches than Cooper.

Cooper also 'called out' the coaches which just can't be tolerated.
- Jimmy and Belichick would never tolerate that type of behavior from any player.

Add in the Covid ordeal, and it was not a difficult decision to dump Cooper and his 20M salary.

Cooper can’t throw himself the ball. And plenty of film analysis on YouTube showing him frequently open but not looked at. My assessment is that Lamb’s numbers were a direct result of the attention Amari got. So far, that’s looking strong but I will admit it’s still early.
And what’s worse, Amari keeps rolling up numbers with Brissett as his QB and any criticism of the coaches and Dak starts looking pretty fair.
Compare Lamb and Amari this season….
Still unbelievable how quickly we all forgot 2018 pre-Amari Dak and offense.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cooper can’t throw himself the ball. And plenty of film analysis on YouTube showing him frequently open but not looked at. My assessment is that Lamb’s numbers were a direct result of the attention Amari got. So far, that’s looking strong but I will admit it’s still early.
And what’s worse, Amari keeps rolling up numbers with Brissett as his QB and any criticism of the coaches and Dak starts looking pretty fair.
Compare Lamb and Amari this season….
Still unbelievable how quickly we all forgot 2018 pre-Amari Dak and offense.

Two games is a small sample size for CeeDee.
- Is game 1 a fluke or is game 2 a fluke?
- His catches per game stat for game 2 is higher than Coopers average catches per game for the season.

Yards/Catch 2022
Cooper 11.52 yards/catch
CeeDee 11.6 yards/catch

Catches Per Game 2022
Cooper 6.3
CeeDee 4.5

ghst187

Reaction score
- His catches per game stat for game 2 is higher than Coopers average catches per game for the season.

Yards/Catch 2022
Cooper 11.52 yards/catch
CeeDee 11.6 yards/catch

Catches Per Game 2022
Cooper 6.3
CeeDee 4.5

Agree it’s too early but those are almost silly stats to cherry pick…Amari nearly took over two games this year esp if it’s too early…but what’s trending very poorly is the targets vs catches.
And really the debate is whether we are better with Amari and his salary or without…

TheHerd

Reaction score
So worry about not keeping all the when the rookie contracts expired. We had the cap space, so I would have kept Coop. He's better than anything we have right now

GINeric

Reaction score
that would have been Moronic, that would have taken draft picks and MONEY..Right, if game doesn't work this isn't FF, IF you wanted high priced WR you keep Cooper. they went in NEW a direction. Sorry its not fan favorite

it was business. OK

no way could they have been in the market for any of the top WRs that left their teams.. who BTW didn't replace these guys with any big nameso_O:rolleyes:

.so blame jury but the chiefs, packers, and Titans did the same thing and I believe when our guys get back and pay together IE Lamb, Gallup, Washington, and Dak with Brown and the young guys mixed in,

we will be just fine at WR and again better than many of those teams who also made similar decisions with the wr core. we are better off then they are..not by much, but better.

Cooper couldn't hold Brown's jock strap. Brown plays big in big moments. Cooper disappears.

blueblood70

Reaction score

Yards/Catch 2022
Cooper 11.52 yards/catch
CeeDee 11.6 yards/catch

Catches Per Game 2022
Cooper 6.3
CeeDee 4.5
Break down Justin Jefferson now game 1-2-3 fall off cliff

now blame the QB really So Carr and Cousins are good enough when the big numbers are put up, its the WR only but carap games are all the qb..fans are clueless.

CD since his rookie year had had ups and down more so because of the qb situation played 4 in 2020 no OL etc etc 2021 his bets year dak played 16, not a coincidence, Not saying Lamb will explode and get a big new deal but im willing to be patient and see where this goes over seasons not 2 games..

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Hindsight is 20/20, but it looks like we really miss Coop.
If nothing else, keep your trap closed so you don't kill Coops trade value, and end up trading him for peanuts.