CFZ What Would You Have Done at WR?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I would have started Lamb, Brown and Fehoko rather than Dennis Houston.

If I could have, I would have signed Julio Jones, too.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Wilson is the #3 WR in Miami and the #4 receiving target whereas Brown is playing the #2 role so far for Dallas. When Brown was the #4 and #5 WR option in 2021 he had 16 catches for 184 yards for the season. While playing the #3 and #4 WR roles last season Wilson had 45 catches for 602 yards.....so I am not sure what your point is.

That said, in week 1 with Dak Brown had 5 catches for 68 yards on 9 targets with a 13.6 yards per catch while playing 61 offensive snaps.
In week 2 with Rush Brown had 5 catches for 91 yards and 1 td on 5 targets with a 18.2 yards per catch while playing 52 offensive snaps.
Why do you hate the Cowboys? You do nothing but crap on them.

shabazz

Reaction score
Lmao guys that wasn’t real it was from a fake Twitter account and fooled everyone. The same account almost made Trae Young beef with Ja Morant lol please don’t fall victim to this stuff.

Do you honestly think Amari would say something like that lol?

Who is Trae Young Beef……or is that a Cantonese dish?

I used to have mad beef with ClearChannel back in the day

Loso86

Reaction score
Exactly.
Cooper is costing us 6 mil in cap space this season as dead cap AND not playing for us.
The Browns restructured him and his cap # for them is 4.9 this season.
Now we could not have gotten him that low, due to the signing bonus part of his contract (that got all put on us when we traded him so the Browns escaped that), but we could have easily restructred him down to a 7-8 mil cap # for this season.

So the question is, would you rather have no Coop, 12 mil in cap space and Tolbert, (Our current situation), or would you rather have Coop, 11 mil in cap space and have used that 3rd round pick elsewhere (like Oline or Dline)?
For this season, the answer is likely obvious.
Now next seaon, we will benefit from having traded Coop as it relates to cap space.
But the cap is set to expand tremendously next year and future years.
Most analysts see a 300 mil cap in just 4 years, based on the success of the league and the new TV deals.

NFL contracts are like this.
Coops deal made him among the highest paid WRs in the league the first 2 years, but his APY is currently 14th among WRs.
Next year he will fall even further down the list.
It's really not even about APY, it's about the cap number they occupy, and Coops could have been lowered to about 7 this year.
The Jones' did make it easier next season by moving him, but we sacrificed a chance to compete this year in doing so.
Most top NFL GM's don't do that. They do everything they can to compete this year, and deal with next seasons cap next season.

I saw someone say "20 mil for Coop is insane".
Why?
Because that seems like a lot of money to you?
Coop is in the same ballpark as Williams. Godwin, and Kirk.
Hill just signed for 30 mil APY, and WR salaries are going to continue to rise as the cap rises.
In a few years, 20 mil for a top WR will be a bargain.
I believe that poster is living in the cap world of yesterday.

It's the same reason I would have signed Schultz last year.
Henry got 3/37 (12.5 APY). Andrews got 4/56 (14 APY).
We could have likely signed Schultz in the Henry range 12 APY but below Andrews 14 APY.
But we waited and now the new TE contracts are much higher and will continue to rise.
Schultz may command 16-18 mil in the offseason (as the cap continues to rise).
NFL agents live in the world of future caps, and the cap will skyrocket in future years.

I would have kept Coop, and restructured him as the Browns did. I would also have resigned Schultz last year.
FWIW, I would have also not let Gregory get away, as his cap number is just 2.7 mil higher than Fowler's this season and I believe 14APY for a really good Edge is very reasonable as the cap increases. I would have then used the 2nd and 3rd rounders on positions I saw as more critical, like OL and DL, but that's just me.
Well said bro, THIS is what passes me off about the future owner/gm Stephen Jones. Waaaay too cheap and allows his feelings to get involved

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There was ZERO need to ditch Cooper. We did NOT need to shed salary. We just gave away a top 10 WR for nothing and then roll with scrubs and an injured Gallup. Amari was our best WR by a margin and the only one teams respected. We could’ve kept him another season and see if anyone develops. Relatively speaking, his contract was cheap compared to what top guys got this past offseason. Cleveland has always been a bastion for dumb decisions but now they are laughing at us and reaping the rewards.
It's 2 games in. Let's see what happens by say, game 10. Then we'll have a better feel for affirmation or regret. I agree, we clearly had room to pay Cooper, especially if we'd restructured his contract, but there was obviously more to the decision.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I would’ve kept Amari Cooper and Cedrick Wilson and moved on from Michael Gallup. I know Ced hasn’t done much in Miami so far but they have two outstanding receivers in Tyreek Hill and Waddle. When he got opportunities to play when Gallup was out he stepped up and made plays. Gallup has been injury prone suffering two significant injuries last season. We’ll just have to see how he looks when he returns and if he can stay healthy.
Yeah, I was pretty unhappy when they got rid of Cedrick, but I think Gallup is more useful to Dak.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
1. False dilemma. We did not “have” to trade or cut Amari due to his cap figure. We are sitting on over 20 mil right now.

2. If we did decide to trade him, we should have kept it quiet but by blabbing about it early we telegraphed the move and gave Cleveland all the leverage in the negotiation.

3. JJ is not being transparent IMO. The fact Coop missed two games for the reason he did pissed JJ off. His comments at the time said as much, and his comments to open TC this year listing “availability” as the key reason Coop and Collins are no longer here reinforces it.

Coop pissed JJ off and earned a ticket to Cleveland pure and simple. When JJ pays you big $$$ he expects you to put the team first. Coop didn’t and got canned, and now JJ is trying to control the narrative so he doesn’t look like a petty, vindictive, spiteful owner
I don't think there's anything vindictive or spiteful about wanting your players to put the team first and do what they're paid to do.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The fact that Jerry had to personally jump into negotiation says different. Cowboys wanted to re-sign Gregory and fully expected to do so but Stephen got petty.

Greed and pettiness are a poor combination.
Jerry wanted to for sure. I don’t believe Stephen did and I think Stephen got his way and Jerry was pissed about it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I feel they couldve got at least a 2nd had they played it more quietly than they did. AJ Brown got a 1st & 3rd and Marquise Brown got a 3rd in the draft.
All better receivers. But who knows maybe if a different person made that call maybe they do grt more.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yeah, I was pretty unhappy when they got rid of Cedrick, but I think Gallup is more useful to Dak.

He’s a good deep ball receiver he just needs to stay healthy. I just don’t like the idea of re-signing a player coming off an ACL who’s had injury issues. We’ll see how it goes with him.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

Gallup is sneaky good. He's probably not a number one type guy all of the time. But he's definitely got some game to him and was outperforming Lamb for a stretch last year before his injury. At that time, he also benefited from having Cooper and Lamb. But this year, they'll have Lamb, Brown, and Gallup, which is not a bad lineup.

Cedrick Wilson had some game to him as well, but I don't think he's a top 50 WR, which I would argue Gallup definitely is. I hope he's actually healthy and able to play at the same level. I have a feeling he will be just as good with the advancements in stem cells reducing the recovery time from torn ligaments.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I don't think there's anything vindictive or spiteful about wanting your players to put the team first and do what they're paid to do.

There is when you put your spite and vindictiveness above the best interest of the team and roster you are building.

Is this team better after the Cooper trade? If the answer is no— then it was a bad move.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You went on this long rant about a post where I said "Dallas is a great drafting team" in either a ridiculous strawman or just an epileptic fit on your keyboard. I hope you get back on your meds and are OK.
umm thats not all you said, I REPLIED I TO IT ALL.

rambo2

Reaction score
Amari for a 5th rounder is still one of the top dumbest things Jerry has done.
The dumbest thing was trading for Roy Williams from Texas and continuing to play him for a 2nd year after it was obvious that he couldn't play at all.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I wish we would have signed that WR Brown who went to the Eagles.....

that would have been Moronic, that would have taken draft picks and MONEY..Right, if game doesn't work this isn't FF, IF you wanted high priced WR you keep Cooper. they went in NEW a direction. Sorry its not fan favorite

it was business. OK

no way could they have been in the market for any of the top WRs that left their teams.. who BTW didn't replace these guys with any big nameso_O:rolleyes:

.so blame jury but the chiefs, packers, and Titans did the same thing and I believe when our guys get back and pay together IE Lamb, Gallup, Washington, and Dak with Brown and the young guys mixed in,

we will be just fine at WR and again better than many of those teams who also made similar decisions with the wr core. we are better off then they are..not by much, but better.