What Zimmer had to say about Micah, Diggs and Gilmore before he was hired

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I really like Stephon Gilmore but I cannot imagine him being a priority when this defense has gaping holes in the LB and DL positions. Honestly, he would be a luxury at this point instead of a necessity.

Currently this team is about 16 mil over the cap next year. I cannot imagine that with Bland and Diggs this team thinks CB is a position of need. I could be wrong of course but it seems like re-signing Gilmore would have to be lower on the priority list.
Perfectly said Haze, putting that money out there for a CB, we could draft a few, cut Wright etc, or as some said use Scott, I can see Gilly getting paid elsewhere

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Quinn, Nolan Miarinelli, Kiffin, Ryan, Stewart, Zimmer. 25 years of DCs who don't know anything. We have had legendary talent thanks to super jerry and these know nothings wasted all of it with poor scheme. Hopefully Zimmer can fix things. Wait a minute is this the same Zimmer from 25 years ago? I assumed it was his kid.
THat's why when I keep hearing people on here saying he's going to do this and that, how do you really know what's going to happen??? Can we wait for a few games and see what he's going to bring. No more assume, we need to see proof

Aven8

Reaction score
Good stuff. How can any DC in football not be excited about coaching Micah, Diggs, and Bland? It’s like hitting the lotto

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Imagine if he expects him to help in run support. Jerry will have to step in.
Ole Diggs is back!
giphy.gif

vlad

Reaction score
The really interesting part is what he has to say about Diggs. He clearly won't want him gambling on interceptions. He's not going to have as much freedom as he had with Quinn. You wonder how that will work out.
I mean we are talking about a dude that was like wrestling his 11th interception or whatever it was from like a nobody that would have been the biggest moment of his young career lol.

Doubt he can flex hard on form tackles (Even though that was my favorite play of his)

thx for posting all this stuff.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Perfectly said Haze, putting that money out there for a CB, we could draft a few, cut Wright etc, or as some said use Scott, I can see Gilly getting paid elsewhere
Several thoughts on our CB situation:
  • We already have two good corners in Diggs and Bland. On a defense with big needs in the front 7, keeping Gilmore or drafting a CB high is not a good idea IMO.
  • We may want to consider keeping Jourdan Lewis if the terms are right. He is underrated IMO.
  • I would cut Nashon Wright. He’s never shown anything beyond occasional ST plays. Guys like that can be found with cheap FAs or Day 3 picks. This team has a bad habit of keeping players too long and Wright is exhibit A.
  • Honestly, compared to DTs, LBs and RBs, CB could be considered at the bottom of our shopping list. We need to use our “All in” resources on the above three positions.

kskboys

Reaction score
  • We already have two good corners in Diggs and Bland. On a defense with big needs in the front 7, keeping Gilmore or drafting a CB high is not a good idea IMO.
  • We may want to consider keeping Jourdan Lewis if the terms are right. He is underrated IMO.
  • I would cut Nashon Wright. He’s never shown anything beyond occasional ST plays. Guys like that can be found with cheap FAs or Day 3 picks. This team has a bad habit of keeping players too long and Wright is exhibit A.
  • Honestly, compared to DTs, LBs and RBs, CB could be considered at the bottom of our shopping list. We need to use our “All in” resources on the above three positions.
Eric Scott is exhibit B. By now, we should know whether it's worth keeping him on the roster. As usual, we do not.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Totally agree, good pressure from our DL etc will surely help our secondary. Let me ask you this, is Bland better as a Nickel or as a CB. To me yes he's great, but as we all know, he can give up some big plays. If you keep Lewis, you don't put him at the nickel you keep him at the outside CB position, i'm a little torn at that area.

Aven8

Reaction score
I mean we are talking about a dude that was like wrestling his 11th interception or whatever it was from like a nobody that would have been the biggest moment of his young career lol.

Doubt he can flex hard on form tackles (Even though that was my favorite play of his)

thx for posting all this stuff.
Diggs actually was looking a little better last year in the tackling department than the previous year before the injury. I think him whiffing on that play in SF he heard about all offseason. Zimm will make him tackle so that will help immensely in the run game.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Eric Scott is exhibit B. By now, we should know whether it's worth keeping him on the roster. As usual, we do not.
DId he dress in a game all season? If not I guess you're right. I'd give him a shot, WRIGHT is one of the old regimes kind of guys 6'4 tall CB's

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Totally agree, good pressure from our DL etc will surely help our secondary. Let me ask you this, is Bland better as a Nickel or as a CB. To me yes he's great, but as we all know, he can give up some big plays. If you keep Lewis, you don't put him at the nickel you keep him at the outside CB position, i'm a little torn at that area.
Those are good questions Coogs. I do trust Zimmer’s ability to sort that out.

kskboys

Reaction score
DId he dress in a game all season? If not I guess you're right. I'd give him a shot, WRIGHT is one of the old regimes kind of guys 6'4 tall CB's
Not that I'm aware of. I still find it shocking that we gave up anything to move up for Scott. Why?

We're so stupid that we focus on one physical trait such as height when we should be focusing on ability to mirror.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I have no belief in Wright as a dependable CB. He seems destined for the CJ Goodwin career STs/emergency CB role.
Let's hope Scott can actually contribute this season on defense.
What have you been watching concerning Nahshon Wright? He's a pretty good backup CB and contributes immensely in Special Teams.

With a cost of only $1.4 mil in 2024, Cowboys definitely need to keep Nahshon Wright.